4.0 out of 5 stars Helm Field Guides: Waders of Europe, Asia and North America
Helm’s new field guide covers 125 species of waders in a little over 220 pages and is divided into three sections – Introduction, Waders at rest and Waders in flight.
Published on 6 Feb 2006 by Mark L Edgeller

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing compared to available guides
Published on 25 Sep 2007 by Christopher J. Sharpe

4.0 out of 5 stars Helm Field Guides: Waders of Europe, Asia and North America, 6 Feb 2006
Mark L Edgeller (Southampton, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waders of Europe, Asia and North America (Helm Field Guides) (Paperback)
The 25 page introduction covers many field guide standards such as bird topography, moult, plumage variation and behaviour. It includes a number of useful identification tips and is liberally scattered with Steve’s illustrations including some particularly pleasing ‘looser’ paintings depicting aspects of wader behaviour.
The waders at rest section consists of 45 double page spreads each covering two to four species. The text is concise and starts with a few ‘key ID features’ before covering behaviour, habitat, plumage and confusion species.
Most potential purchasers will look at the illustrations first and this is where the guide scores highly. The large image size and uncluttered design of the plates makes them a joy to browse through or grill intensely. Steve Message has done an excellent job at illustrating a very difficult group of birds and has produced some of the best field guide plates of recent times.
The in flight section gives upper- and under-wing illustrations and brief notes covering key ID features, flight action, voice, distribution and confusion species as well as distribution maps. It finishes with two appendices that tabulate upper- and under-part flight patterns.
This is a very good guide for anyone who wants to take their shorebirding to a new level and will certainly help you identify a Baird’s Sandpiper in Hampshire or a Bar-tailed Godwit in New Hampshire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Book, 30 Dec 2013
A very detailed and informative book with good illustrations. Great book for learning that little bit more on certain species.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to be used, 24 Nov 2012
This in an excellent field guide for all levels of interest, and is small enough to take on field trips.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing compared to available guides, 25 Sep 2007
Christopher J. Sharpe "Chris Sharpe" (Caracas, Venezuela) - See all my reviews
Being a shorebird enthusiast, I have had this title in my sights for a while and planned to purchase it as soon as I could find a copy to look through. I have owned the old Helm guide since it came out but, for portability, in the field I tend to use Sibley or the Collins Bird Guide as a shorebird identification supplement to whatever national guide I am using (that is here in the Western Hemisphere). I felt it was about time I got my library up-to-date with this new volume which promised to supersede all my guides. However, when I finally managed to look over a copy I have to say I found it a little disappointing. For me at least, the illustrations do not match those of Killian Mullarney, Peter Hayman or David Sibley and the text does not seem to add much to the older Helm guide - indeed, I prefer that pioneering guide. It just shows how much care went into the preparation of those older guides - Shorebirds is 21 years old now and still hard to beat! This may be a personal view - and admittedly based on a short perusal - but I could not justify adding the book to my library.

Chris Sharpe, 25 September 2007. ISBN: 071365290X

Waders of Europe, Asia and North America (Helm Field Guides)
Waders of Europe, Asia and North America (Helm Field Guides) by Don Taylor (Paperback - 13 Dec 2005)
29.99