5.0 out of 5 stars The best part of Slocum is, his life's based on a true story
Published on 6 Nov. 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
I could have wrote this,its plain and not a very goog read
Published 1 month ago by Barry, Jill & Puddles

5.0 out of 5 stars The best part of Slocum is, his life's based on a true story, 6 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
I have read any number of books by small boat sailors, but never have I enjoyed one more than this. Why? I love success stories, and Capt. Slocum was the sort who assured his success before he set out. He anticipated, and prepared for every contingency, and he succeeded in spite of doubters. But, what really sets the book apart is its language and the scope of knowledge of this third-grader. I gave most my other 'sea' books away, but will keep this one forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars An understated epic of seamanship and adventure, 25 May 2004
I share other reviewers' enthusiasm for this book, but for me astonishment and admiration are the dominant emotions it evokes. At an age when most of us are ready to start taking it easy, and long before the days of modern aids to navigation and survival, Captain Slocum cobbles together his tiny boat and sets off around the world single-handed, braving wild seas and fending off wilder but barefoot natives with tin tacks scattered on the deck. Don't look for any modern angst or self-revelation as to why he decided to do it, or what drove him to persist when, for instance, it took him exhausting weeks of battling to get round the Horn. The whole saga is so quietly told that the man's huge competence, sagacity and sheer fortitude emerge only slowly. I'm no sailor, but this is one sailing book that I will always keep to hand for inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top shelf true adventure reading!, 3 Oct. 1997
By A Customer
Slocum eases the reader on an adventure around the world, baiting us along with peaceful respect for the sea, and a love of sloitude. No hollywood storms or disasters. He is as good at story telling as he is at sailing. I would recommend his work to non-sailors and non-adventurers alike. This is a slice of history as he visits the South Pacific and South America in the 1800's, quietly cruising past a world just comming to grips with expansion into unknown cultures and countries. A wise "old Salt" and a teriffic story teller!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top shelf true adventure reading!, 3 Oct. 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars real life adventure, 24 Feb. 2011
This book takes you on a facinating jouney to many wonderful ports & across vast oceans.In a boat that he constucted single handed over 13 months.
the authour is obviously a very human & humuorous man, which makes a very enjoyable read.The trip was made in a in a more innocent time in many ways,which adds to it's appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic which has endured for over 100 years, 23 Nov. 2007
RobF (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
After spending years commanding large merchant vessels, Capt Joshua Slocum completely rebuilds a 37 foot yacht and sets sail around the world in it. Slocum's grasp of the English language is exemplary as he describes his single-handed voyage around the world. The book is a fascinating insight into life 100 years ago when sailors were unable to use electronics for navigation, meteorology or helming and vessesls had to sail around the Capes as the "shortcut canals" (Panama and Suez) had not yet been constructed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 21 Sept. 2009
Over the years I have borrowed this book twice and it never fails to amaze and inspire me. This is an adventure by one man pitting his wits and using all his skill against the elements (however, if he were here today he may say `with' the elements, as he loved what he was doing). I decided to buy the book as I know that I will read it many more times in my life, God willing.
You may read other more recent true-life adventure stories, but Joshua Slocum's perilous adventures were undertaken without the aid of modern technology, which is truly amazing.
This is a book that all parents should encourage their children to read, and all teachers should include it in class.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Voyage, 27 April 2010
K.E.C (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
I should have read this long ago, but always thought it would outdated or tedious. I was so wrong! It is easy reading, witty and self-deprecating, with Slocum giving every credit to the boat (or the occasional spirit). He calmly makes an awe-inspiring and often dangerous voyage, without much explanation as to why, other than to prove it can be done. He obviously was confident in his vast sailing skill, but remains modest and witty throughout, ready to learn any new or life-saving trick. I love having his boat plans, making it simple to understand the layout. I wish I had read it earlier and now realise why so many experienced sailors relish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 27 April 2011
This is a classic sailing tale, by a man who did it. A good read and a must for any sailors library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rattling good yarn, 13 Nov. 2010
A tale of adventure and of different times and people (and fish). I loved this book for its pace, understatement and the descriptions of a different world. Truly an inspiring tale. How much do I need to save up before I can do my own circumnavigation?!

Sailing Alone Around the World
Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum (Paperback - 30 Sept. 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01