on 3 May 2002
Ever wondered why your story isn't "quite" right? Is your writing lacking a certain "je ne sais quoi"? Well, within the pages of this book, I definitely found the answer to these questions. I have been writing short stories for a number of years, without any commercial success and could never put my finger on the problem. Even after completing several courses I was none the wiser. But since reading this book, I have, at the least, gained futher insight into the art of good writing - by putting the author's advise into practice, my stories have improved 100%.
This book is highly recommended for anyone who knows the basics of creative writing but is stuck at the same level and doesn't quite know how to get to the next one. Well worth every penny and a good addition to the aspiring writer's library.
on 24 February 2014
A decade and more ago I was addicted to how-to-write books. Good, bad or ugly, I greedily swallowed them all. I still indulge now and then. Saw this recommended somewhere, and yes, it’s pretty good, but actually (come on, Bobbie) I already know all these great tips. Back it goes on my how-to shelf, beside Cook ‘Line by line’, Browne & King ‘Self-editing for fiction writers’, Bell ‘The artful edit’, Lerner ‘An editor’s advice to writers’, Lamott ‘Bird by bird’, etc, etc, because really I ought to get back to... er... rewriting.
on 22 July 2011
This book is available by Amazon in a more recent paperback version - if you haven't found it easily it is on the website
on 23 November 2015
Most of the book is what I already know but it helps to refresh your memory and I would recommend buying it to have as a handy reminder.