5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says in the titile.
Published on 4 Mar 2011 by Joyem

1.0 out of 5 stars cloth dolls for Textile Artists
very interesting and very unusual should be interesting and a different concept on the doll not sure who these will appeal to but will make some and see thanks
Published 7 months ago by Ms A.A Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says in the titile., 4 Mar 2011
This review is from: Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists (Hardcover)
If you want a book to help you make pretty,sweet-faced dollie dolls then this isn't it! But if you want exciting, stimulating, funky dolls and you are really interested in innovative textile techniques, then this is it. The title is 'Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists' and if that is where your interests lie or you want to try something different, then this is the book for you.

I'm new to doll making, not really my thing, but after finding first Jan Horrox and now Ruth Slater, a whole new window has opened for me. Ruth Slater starts off with stump dolls, which I had never heard of, but with her approach they become intriguing soft sculptures. Then lively wire dolls which make you smile, and then stuffed cloth dolls using more useful ideas and all interspersed with lots of textile art techniques, hand and machine stitching, dyeing, printing, you name it.

This book is not for everyone, and may disappoint conventional doll makers, but for those with more adventurous attitude, this get this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Jan 2010
B. Giles (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists (Hardcover)
I'm new to doll-making but not to textile art: this books provides easy-to-follow instructions, simple patterns, and loads of ideas for techniques and embellishments for your cloth doll. Excellent pictures and diagrams.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous!!, 24 Aug 2011
Hazel Vicary "Hazel" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists (Hardcover)
As a very traditional 'doll' person my first doll book was by Jan Horrox and it is an excellent book. I passed over this one because the dolls looked a bit too 'funky' for my taste but having now made 5 dolls with Jan Horrox's patterns - all of which have turned out far better than I expected - I find myself looking for dolls with a difference and also to exploying new techniques. I was particularly looking for a book which included stump dolls and ways of individualising fabrics rather than just using them straight from the shop. This book arrived this morning (hardback not paperback as advertised - not complaining) and I have had to force myself to put it down long enough to do this review. I would still say that a beginner should start with Jan Horrox who takes you through every step very thoroughly and the patterns really work but, having done that, Ray Slater has certainly turned out a real cracker with this offering giving lots of new thoughts and ideas - good patterns and excellent instructions for creating individual fabrics. I had spent a day dying Wensleydale 'curls' but was nervous about how to needlefelt them to the dolls head - all the instructions are in this book as well as lots of other 'hair' ideas. All in all, just what I was looking for to feed what is rapidly becoming a bit of an obsession with each doll becoming more and more intricate - where will it all end, well, thank goodness they have shut Newgate is all I can say.......

4.0 out of 5 stars intricate textile techniques, 18 April 2011
This review is from: Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists (Hardcover)
this book certainly has the wow factor. when you flick through the pages, some of the doll designs leave you breathless. the level of experience and skill required to execute some of the designs is way beyond mine at the present time, however, reading the book certainly opened my eyes to the possibilities. i would recommend the book for anyone who has an artistic eye and has a passion for needlecraft - particularly for utilising a range of yarns, fabrics and has easy access to a sewing machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ray Slater's Cloth Doll book, 4 Feb 2009
D. Arnold (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists (Hardcover)
I love this book. It's bursting with new ideas for cloth doll makers and machine embroidery enthusiasts. I found it instructive and inspirational

4.0 out of 5 stars fabric art with attitude, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists (Hardcover)
I usually shy away from step by step guides but this one is special. I was impressed by the ways that hand embroidery ,machine embroidery and textile manipulation can be used to create stunning dolls. I can't wait to start to make one.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring aid to fabric art and manipulation., 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists (Hardcover)
This is a beautifully presented and inspiring book, it full of great ideas for making your work unique and fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars cloth dolls for Textile Artists, 12 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of inspiration, 28 April 2013
A. Sander - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists (Hardcover)
The book provides plenty of inspiration for ways to embellish what are otherwise fairly basic dolls. The instructions for creating th eembellishments (embroidery stitches, creating embellished cords etc) are clear and easy to follow. I looked through the book cover to cover as soon as I got it and now have lots of techniques I want to try out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists (Hardcover)
So far I've only made a stump doll from the book, but I'm really pleased with her: I followed the pattern provided and although I found the hands very small to turn out there's practical advice on designing your own, which I'll do with a slightly different hand-shape. Lots of advice on working with fabrics and creating interesting layers and effects, overall a good buy to either start art doll making, or expand your current skill-set in this field.

Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists
Cloth Dolls for Textile Artists by Ray Slater (Hardcover - 8 Sep 2008)
18.99