5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says on the tin
Published on 27 April 2006 by lynsey adams

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I had hoped for more valuable advice/instruction than this book provided. It is more suited to the experienced acrylic painter than one new to the medium. There are many examples of his work shown, too much in fact, but the more specific guidance on achieving light in painting was lacking.
Published on 8 Jan 2011 by C. Coote

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says on the tin, 27 April 2006
lynsey adams "Kanga" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As a previous reviewer says, there are not many books devoted to acrylic painting, and this is probably the best I have seen. Thankfully it is not a step by step 'how to' book, with examples of techniques for painting 'realistic rocks', or skies, or trees. Nor are there any thumbnail examples of gimmics with clingfilm, bubble wrap, salt, etc. The nearest John Hammond gets to a colour wheel is to show us how he lays out his palette.

No wasted pages filled with colour or tonal 'exercises' using pears and apples. Hooray! More space for the excellent paintings.

Yet it all seems to be there. He leads us through his own process of making his paintings, generously imparting valuable information along the way, with sections on 'Practical Considerations, 'Interpreting Light', 'Subjects and Inspiration' and 'Developing Ideas' - each section dealing with a number of useful topics.

It is not very often one can read this type of book from cover to cover, but here the text is informative, interesting and relevant. A little short on humour maybe, but John is obviously an artist who is passionate about the medium he works in, and the subjects he chooses, and gets this across. Acrylic is no longer a poor substitute for oils, or an inferior medium, or difficult to use. Some of us knew this already, but if looking at this book does not convince you, then nothing will!

The paintings are stunning. Forget wishy washy pale greens and dull browns, the works absolutely glow with light and colour, but are never garish or gaudy. The brushwork is impressionistic without being sloppy, which suits the subjects very well, and no doubt as intended, does indeed capture the light.

We do see one work at 'under-painting' stage, and another two at beginning, middle and finished, which is very helpful. If I have one tiny criticism, I would have wished for these to have been broken down into a few more steps, just to encourage those, who like me, thought WOW - I wish I could paint like that! But somehow the more you look, the more you feel that, maybe, you could just do it. Eventually.

This is a book which will inspire you to get out your brushes and start painting with renewed enthusiasm, full as it is with fresh and beautiful work. The ability to 'look inside' before you buy is invaluable. The front cover illustration gives the impression that it might be all about architectural subjects, but in fact there are as many, if not more landscapes and coastal views. The work shown on the cover does not really do justice to the contents.

The title says it all, though. Buy the book - it does what it says on the tin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Capturing light in acrylics, 28 Mar 2004
By A Customer
There are very few books about acrylic painting and as new convert to acrylics and with a love of Venice I knew this would be a good book to have. I was not disappointed. The pictures were wonderful, doing everything that the title suggests. The book described how versatile acrylics are, using them like watercolours, glazing, through to impasto. I would have liked to have seen just a few more demonstrations so that novices like me could see that maybe one day we could produce paintings with light and vitality that are illustrated in this book. The paintings of Venice capture the colours and atmosphere and show that John Hammond loves the place. Overall a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars capturing Light in Acrylics, 17 May 2009
This review is from: Capturing Light in Acrylics (Paperback)
Having just come to the end of my first year in Painting with OCA . John Hammond has given me with his book 'Capturing Light in Acrylics 'a totally new way of looking at things . His paintings of rainy days and water subjects which I found daunting , have now become so exciting that I even stand in the pouring rain to capture reflections that I had never before noticed . His teqnique of layering with deep colours and building up layers of paint to give different effects all make such sense .Every time I open it I learn some thing new .I just love this book .

5.0 out of 5 stars Capturing light in Acrylics, 9 Dec 2009
Mrs. Joan Nicholson "Joandalton" (Cumbria England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Capturing Light in Acrylics (Paperback)
Does just what the title says, I bought this book as it was recommended by the Art Teacher at the class I attend. He is usually very scathing about Acrylic books, but was impressed with this one. I am pleased with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 8 Jan 2011
C. Coote "'book addict'." (Wales.) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Capturing Light in Acrylics (Paperback)
This book has been an inspiration. I loved reading through it and have been inspired to try out a few of my own pictures in this style. The ideas and advice are very helpful. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 16 April 2013
Mrs. Nuala Wainwright "nanny noodles" (dublin, ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Capturing Light in Acrylics (Paperback)
This book is an excellent tutorial in painting with the medium of Acrylics. I have learnt so much from it and can highly recommend it to others interested in painting in this medium!

5.0 out of 5 stars Painting in Acrylics - excellent book, 10 Jan 2011
Dixon (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Capturing Light in Acrylics (Paperback)
Bought this for my wife who has just started painting in acrylics and she seems to e very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't often use superlatives ...., 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: Capturing Light in Acrylics (Paperback)
... but this book is outstanding at all levels. Firstly it is a joy to look at - the paintings are as evocative as Monet's; secondly the advice and expertise given by the artist is honest, practical and very readable; thirdly ... and best of all ... my own paintings have been hugely improved as a result of really studying this book and applying the learning. I've also bought a video that is associated with the book (via APV films) which has also extremely useful. Won't somebody please buy me a John Hammond painting?

3.0 out of 5 stars good paintings but not helpful for beginners, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Capturing Light in Acrylics (Paperback)
Its basically a collection of paintings, they are very good but I dont feel like Im learning much from this book

Capturing Light in Acrylics
Capturing Light in Acrylics by Robin Capon (Paperback - 16 Jun 2006)
13.20
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available