5.0 out of 5 stars great for any ability
Published on 12 Dec. 2006 by Emily,

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of boxes!
I feel a little disappointed in this book. I was surprised to see the first printing was 2010 as I felt, by the imagery, that it must have been printed in the late eighties. The projects didn't grab me and make me want to immediately go and fetch the materials and make a start..... I'm sure the instruction is good but for me not what I want to give me inspiration. Lots of...
Published on 10 Jan. 2011 by bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great for any ability, 12 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Fusing Fabric: Creative Cutting, Bonding and Mark-making with the Soldering Iron (Hardcover)
I found the projects in this book as an art student suprising up to date and contemporary, i have also tried out a few with a lot of success. the method is totally origional (using a soldering iron to bond fabrics) and is reletively inexpensive. You need to buy felt and organza plus a special craft soldering iron for fabric but its well worth it. The book itself is easy to follow without being annoyingly or patronizingly simplistic- plus a serious emphasis on great photos and unique ways of embroidery and making things such as fibre art pieces and even lampshades.

I've learnt alot and always refer back to it. You can buy the right equippment direct from the author (UK based) if you email/ring her and they're very friendly. It also saves you alot of time on applique and you dont have to use fabric glue ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 28 Dec. 2008
Z. Herbert "solaan" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I am delighted with this book. Ms Beal's knowledge, expertise and willingness to show and share are inspirational. The techniques and possibilities are explained in complete detail, showing how the soldering iron becomes a magic wand for cutting, bonding and embellishing (mostly) synthetic fabrics. The photographs are clear and a good size. The suggested projects are encouraging and viable even for complete novices - myself included in that. I bought an iron from the author and she was very helpful with a query. The technique - which I had not considered at all - can be a starting point for so many exciting directions. As with any skill, practise and practise again to achieve fluency, but thanks to the first-rate instructions, success is within reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy., 15 Oct. 2006
Well written, straight forward guide to using a new technique. Good illustrations, attractively presented. Covers the esentials of the equipment and fabrics. Includes suggestions for carry ideas forward and ways in which the ideas can be used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear instructions and inspiring pictures, 20 Feb. 2006
This book has the perfect combination of text and pictures. For each technique there are step by step instructions written in clear language then a large colourful picture illustrating what can be achieved with the technique, normally followed by a few smaller images of slightly more complicated work. It's a book that's great to look at but also really easy to read.
I love the way that you can create beautiful textiles using a soldering iron and synthetic fabrics and Margaret has inspired me to see how much I can get out of this technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - love it!, 10 Feb. 2012
this book is full of inspiration and very good instructions. the book goes through the methods for the various ways to produce different effects. Have you ever wondered how fabric is made with real flowers sandwiched between two layers of sheer organza? Well this is they type of thing this book inspired me to do. There are so many new methods for bonding, cutting, layering and stitching, by hand or machine, and the instructions are very clear - you do need to trust them because it is not always clear from the instructions what happens but when you do what you are told it works! I use this book a lot - but once I have mastered the technique I go my own way with my own variations. worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not at all con-Fusing, 17 Jun. 2010
E. Tilley - See all my reviews
Margaret is an expert in this technique and generously passes on her knowledge gained by experimentation. The book is very clearly laid out, with excellent, full page, colour illustrating photographs; with lots of tips and projects to stimulate the creative textile artist in you.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring......., 25 Aug. 2012
Hazel Vicary "Hazel" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is an excellent book - full of ideas and inspiration for anyone interested in fusing fabrics. Techniques are very clearly explained and my tentative efforts have, for the most part, been reasonably successful, to the extent that I am fairly confident about moving forward. The only thing that slightly disappointed me was the lack of inclusion of Lutradur and techniques for using it. When I ordered the book I was under the impression that this was included in it but I have been through several times from cover to cover and there is no mention of it - so I have now to search out information on various uses for this product which is a little annoying but, to be honest, the wonderful ideas and explanations do make up for it. Margaret Beal has made a point of listing suitable tools, fabrics and threads which are suitable to use and whilst my efforts so far are not quite as sharp and neat as those illustrated in the book, the results are reasonably good and I expect to improve as I become more familiar with the techniques. I would definately recommend this book for those interested in the subject of fusing fabric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy a respirator!, 14 Sept. 2005
This will be the most important piece of equipment you will need to enjoy the wonderful work you will be longing to do after browsing through this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, simply explained processes, 24 Sept. 2012
This is the sort of book you open and immediatley want to start having a play. Which was great for me as I had already purchased the soldering iron needed. You are taken through step by step how to use the iron and with what fabrics and then you just have fun playing. The book really is a course - you build up your knowledge as you complete each task and they are beautifully photographed projects. For anyone wanting to let go and have fun this is a wonderful book to get your teeth into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fusing Fabric, 26 July 2009
An excellent book and full of ideas to capture the imagination. I would recommend this to anyone looking to expand the skills

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›