Format: PaperbackChange

on 22 February 2013
This is without doubt the most useful, easiest to read and instructive book on chess I have ever seen. Literally every move is discussed. The rationale behind each move...the options available and the reasons for the selected move are given from real games. For a beginner looking to move from the basic rules to an understanding of basic opening theory, strategy and tactics...I'm not sure I can rate this book highly enough...5+ stars
on 13 November 2007
This old classic is one of my favourite chess books of all time, i have discovered it during my high school days a long time ago and to this date it has not caught a wrinkle. I heartily recommend this gem of a book to all beginners as they will love it and improve their chess knowledge hundred-fold. Five Stars beginners book !!!!!
on 9 December 2011
This book does exactly what it says on the tin.

Irving Chernev was a very talented writer of chess books and was able to explain moves in a clear and instructive way. But never has he done it better than he did in this book.

The author takes you through 33 games, and each move is explained. And when the same opening moves are played in different games, he hasn't done a copy and paste job, instead he has found another way to get his point across. Nor is there too much analysis for the reader to become bogged down with - unlike most chess books.

I can't really find much more to say. Rarely do you find a book so aptly titled.
on 8 January 2012
I've read a mountain of books since I caught a serious chess fever about 2 years ago. This particular book felt right away from the start very useful for me. I don't mind the possible inaccuracies of the variations, since they have in fact been figured out by a human some decades ago. Some of the modern books have exhausting strings of moves that won't make any sense for an average hobby/club player.

I truly recommend this book for beginning chess fans who want to broaden their knowledge in a comfortable way.
on 8 March 2001
What can one say about this Classic of the Classics. If you want to improve your chess, and let's face it, you wouldn't be here if you didn't, then THIS is the book for you. Absolute class. I'm reading for the second time now and my rating, on an internet chess site, has risen from an average 1620 to 1720 in about two weeks. When I've finished reading it I'm going to start again and hopeful see my rating improve further.
Every move explained! in simply and direct terms, not in boffin talk that only boffins dig. It make chess easy and fun - chess, as we know, is only fun when you're winning. It's also a little known secret that those who know the know know this is the book to know. After you've read this (many times) go on to others, but get the gritty and sublime basics first. I'd like to thank Raymond Keene for introducing this book to me in his Sunday Times column.
Pure Class. Although I may just regret telling you....
0Comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2003
So you know the rules, you've played a bit, you've read some books on chess and become bored. Where to go from here? Buy and Read This Book!
Learn some simple basics that will improve your game 100%, learn the art of combination and winning attacks, learn the rules of powerful defence.
The book is a joy to read, the games a delight to follow, you won't want to put it down. I felt the book had been written just for me, for my weaknesses and the gaps in my play.
I cannot recommend this book too highly - five stars is not nearly enough!
on 19 January 2014
I love this book, it's quite a slow read but you learn a lot because it keeps repeating the same concept over and over again. Great for beginners that want to improve openings and middle games. My third book after bobby fisher teaches chess and pandolfini's ultimate guide to chess.
on 27 April 2013
Very helpful. I just have to remember the clever stuff and put it into practice. I would recommend this book.
on 7 April 2013
The book consists of 33 actual chess games move by move, with every move explained clearly.

I found it fascinating to follow these games on my chess board and at the same time get the excellent explanations of the purpose of each move and what was good or bad about it. So much better than simply reading about it, however well written a book may be.

So far I have only covered the first 6 games but I already have found that my game has significantly improved.

I have already ordered 2 more copies for my two grandsons and have no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone interested in improving his game.
on 28 May 2013
I got trapped in improving this wonderful game. the analysis is deep and practical.
As a profound amateur it is not always clear where to make progress. Getting an inside in the professionals mind is very helpfull. But above all very practical, ie h3 most of the time is considered anafylaxis, but actually in the game it is commentated as a logical, but cafe chess move. Never know that before.
It is weird how much there is to commend on opening move e4 or e4. I can recommend this to all intermediate player, searching how to improve.