on 3 June 2013
This is a replacement for an earlier, well worn and read, copy! Recommended to all who have questioning minds. The research and conclusions will not suit or please everyone, but its honest opinions and good reasoning behind the book
I wonder? Seems plausible? Wow, so where would that leave us now ?
A seemingly feasible, but potentially shattering history of the development of Christianity. Potentially nonsense, but there seems to be a case worthy of some consideration. If it is true then the consequenses to modern Catholic doctrines don't bear thinking about. Well worth a read, but keep your mind open when you do and make your own mind up afterwards.
on 1 January 2006
I find this book very good! It uses a lot of knowledge, and makes some new conclusions, that probably should have been made years ago.
BUT I am really missing the bibliography. When I read a book, I like to check the sources or just write down some books to read in the future. But without the bibliography, this is almost impossible. My old history teacher would have failed me if I forgot the bibliography.
But all in all the book is exciting, well-written and it gives you an appetite for more information on the subject,
on 25 September 2006
Highly recommended to those interested in Freemasonry, what one must remember is that this is written from the perspective of members of the craft and as such, large parts of their research should be taken seriously.

As with so many books in this genre however, there does appear to be convenient connections between elements of the story. Whatever your opinion of this, it must be said that the links to ancient Egypt are a fascinating eye-opener to the practices of the time and how easily that culture can be related to Western civilisation, for which it would appear that those within the hermetic societies have had an enormous hand in undertaking.

If you are of sceptical or cynical mind related to these kinds of societies, then you should steer clear of this book. But if you are open-minded or have some kind of connection to or interest in Freemasonry, it makes for a fascinating read.
on 16 January 1999
A well researched and writen book looking at the history of Free Masons, Jesus, Knight Templars, King Soloman and much more. All of these are then linked together in an excellent account of history.Some new ideas are put forward all with surporting evidence. You may not look at Christianity in the some way after. A must along with the follow up book that goes into more detail "The Second Messiah"......
on 24 May 2014
this was the second hardback copy that i have purchased. I needed it to replace the original which has not yet been returned by a "friend" and it is essential to my own library of books on masonic history. It is extremely well written and a constant source for my own personal historical research.
on 21 June 2012
Forget about the person in the title, Hiram, a supposed king of Tyre (though the writers are referring to another Hiram). Forget about Solomon and his temple. Forget about the Templars.

The main thrust of this book is that Jesus was a Freemason! He got his ideas from ancient Egypt (the Egypt before Solomon) and these concepts traveled down the centuries until they arrived at the doors of Freemason lodges in the 18th century. Rubbish!

There are some interesting observations though. The writers claimed that Jesus could have been a member of the Essenes, a group of ascetic Jews who lived around the time just before the Roman-Jewish war. Maybe.

The book does address a rather important issue (though not directly) which is largely ignored in Christianity: Why is James (Jesus' brother) so far down the order in terms of importance in Christianity? While Peter is considered by the Catholic Church to be the first pope; and while Paul's letters are often quoted and are considered to be the first writings of Christianity, James is almost overlooked in the NT. His contribution is so small: one letter and a few appearances in Acts!

Yet, he was the leader of the Jerusalem church!
on 20 March 2004
Wow. I can honestly say I have never read such a load of garbage in all my life. I graduated university with a degree in ancient history and archaeology and have continued my quest for knowledge ever since. On the shelf, the Hiram Key looked to be an interesting and controversial read. within the first fifty pages I found blatant mistruths which made my blood boil. One such example is their claim that the word "messiah" is totally absent from the New Testement of the Christian bible (page 46 middle paragraph)...how about Matthew 16:16 and :20 just as a quick example. I was outraged as I continued my read into the Egyptian chapter. As Egyptology is my area of study I was disgusted by their claims. The evidence they present to their reader is NOT well referenced and circumstancial AT BEST! The basis for their hypothesis comes from a "supposed" egyptian king-making drug-induced ritual, one which in all my years of study have never heard of and it is not even referenced by an Egyptologist. All of the following chapters refer to and rely on this one key ritualistic description which, to my knowledge, has never been documented as fact. I can not even begin to outline all of the completely unfounded claims made in this book. I also find it amusing that these two men, neither of whom have any background whatsover in ancient history, have found these unbelievable finds while trained Egyptologists and other historians have over looked them! The reason why these connections have been over-looked in the past is becuase they don't exist. I find the general concepts of the book fascinating, however, there is no concrete evidence illustrated in the entire volume to support them. I seek out controversial topics and enjoy being enlightened to new concepts, however, this is simply a situation where the authors' tried with all their might to fit their theory into documented history. I believe that non-fiction authors have a responsibility to provide their reading audience with concrete, factual information so they can be properly educated on the topics discussed. If I had not had a background on this subjet matter I would have taken the content as factual...thank goodness that wasn't the case. To those who gave this book a 5 rating...PLEASE DISREGARD THE CULTURAL CONNECTIONS MADE IN THIS BOOK!!! (I cannot speak for the rituals of Freemasonry discussed as I have no background on the subject). Research on your own and you will have an appreciation for this review. Shame on the authors of this book.
on 16 January 1999
In analysing the origins of Masonic rituals, the authors trace a path from contemporary rituals through Scottish Freemasnory, the Knights Templar to Moses and Ancient Egypt. The final chapters raise fundamental questions regarding the nature and origins of Christianity. Intriguing analysis.
on 18 April 2000
Just read and open your mind.
This book alters the history of the last 4000 years forever.