5.0 out of 5 stars A must for those seeking peace in this life !
Published on 4 Nov 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet
I enjoyed it, really I did, but it was not the 5 star book I was expecting, having read the reviews on amazon. On the good side it's really easy to read, as its broken down into nice little sections. Its also got 2 or 3 truely wonderful bits, that I will always be able to remember and use, so I certainly don't regret having read it. However, I would have liked a bit more...
Published on 25 April 2010 by Mr. David K. Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for those seeking peace in this life !, 4 Nov 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Peace Is Every Step (Paperback)
This book was indeed a find! I have read many on similar topics - but the author captures the essence of Zen in few words that are alarmingly simple. Regardless of your core belief system, each person can take something with them from this book. This book helped me to transform my daily habits and to develop consious awareness of living intensively. His illustrations of how to be in the present moment are indeed, worth reading and are easily pulled back from memory. His method of presentation is truly a manifestation that simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace is here and now, 12 July 2010
Iona Main Stewart (Odense, Denmark) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life (Paperback)
This is a simple, easy to read, down-to earth book about how to achieve peace in our individual lives and thus in the world as a whole through learning to be in the now.

I usually try to rush through the various books I read, but that was not possible with this book, as the author's wise words calmed me, slowed me down and brought me into the now.

The book is composed of short passages, which makes for enjoyable, relaxed reading. Thich Nhat Hanh advises us about how to obtain mindfulness in various everyday circumstances, for example, while eating, walking, in connection with answering the phone, driving and while mowing grass with a scythe.

He advises us that there is no path to peace, peace is the path. Each of us must achieve peace here and now with our smile, words and actions. Everything we want is right here in the moment.

The key to mindfulness is attention to our breathing. He also includes useful advice about how to cope with our anger through a walking meditation.

We should refrain from watching violent TV-programmes, since we become what we focus on.

The author's love for humanity and all of life pervades the pages of the book, which includes a poem he himself wrote that helps us understand how we are all connected, are all one.

Much more could be said about this enlightening book, but read it for yourself. I highly recommend it. It really deserves the five stars I have given it. Read it in small portions.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 31 Mar 2001
B. C. Meijer (Groningen, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
A little over three years ago I received this book as a birthday present (in the wonderful Dutch translation by Anna Bol and Eveline Beumkes). After quickly reading it, I put it away: 'surely, a lot of peace for such a small book'. It was only six months later, when I started reading the short, meditative pieces one a day, that some of the messages began to take hold. The simplicity is both real and deceptive at the same time: even after three years, new meanings suddenly appear -- "ah, that's what he means!" A rich and inspiring book. And the English version is as beautiful as the Dutch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typing these words, I know I am typing these words..., 17 Jun 2009
Mildred Pierce (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have long been a devotee of the concept of 'mindfulness' which filters through many of these 'types' of books in disguise - such as 'The Power of Now' 'Stop Thinking, start living' 'In Praise of slow' to name but a few. The basic premise to all these books is mindfulness, in short - chill out, slow down and think about what you're actually doing in the present moment so that you can truly exist, appreciate the small things and clear the mind enough to be effective in our everyday lives (maybe not so short...) No one conveys this message better than Thich Nhat Hanh.

I have long been acquainted with this author and am a particular fan of 'The miracle of mindfulness' it is a real gem. In 'Peace is every step' Nhat Hanh has taken this basic premise and written short exercises to help bring mindfulness into our everyday lives.

I can see how people are likely to believe that too many demands on their time prevent 'real people' with jobs and families from doing these exercises, and who has the space in their house for a room dedicated to mindfulness? Certainly not me. But I can see that many of our lives are like a river where we rush along pursuing goals which imprison us. We don't notice the beauty around us and subsequently can't take pleasure in a blue sky, or a childs smile because we're simply not 'here'.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book. When you are pressing the confirmation of order button, know you are pressing the confirmation of order button and enjoy...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Contemporary Classic, 16 Mar 2009
D. J. Richard "danyrich" (midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I consider this book a contemporary classic in the field of zen/self help. It is one of the very best books I have read, and I have read a fair few on this subject. Fantastic, easy to read, but in fact a significant proportion of the message is expressed via the delivery of the content rather than the actual content itself in my view. The author leads by his own example, his words have a peaceful feel and the mere act of reading creates a sense of calm focus. Just by reading his words and his manner of speaking, I get the feeling of what he is describing through his manner of writing alone. Nevertheless, the written content is also of particularly high quality and of particularly high level of personal usefulness in providing guidance for the amelioration of one's life.
An absolute pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars An antidote to world insanity., 23 Mar 2009
S. Fitzgerald - See all my reviews
This little book is deceptively simple. It offers alternative ways of being and seeing that benefit both the individual and the world at large, in a delightful and non-preachy and patronising manner. It holds the potential for profound change. Can't recommend it enough, everybody needs a copy. If we all had one we'd all be happier and the world would be a better place.

5.0 out of 5 stars If peace is what you want this points that way., 21 April 1999
By A Customer
This book is excellent. It's written in small pieces so can be read easily. The lessons in it are life changing. It's simply one of the best and useful books I've read so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!, 18 Oct 2007
First things first, I completely agree with the many positive reviews already posted. Although I wouldn't have expected it from such a short little book, reading this has taught me simple techniques that have changed my life for the better and made me happier day to day and moment to moment. Hence five stars doesn't really seem enough!!

To review this book from the context of my own life, I have been practicing Buddhism for about a year now. Naturally I have made myself familiar with the theory, and try to practice it, for the benefit of myself and others. Rather than giving a complete overview of Buddhist thought (as many books do), this particular book focuses on just one of the eight practices of the Noble Eightfold Path: Right Mindfulness (of course the eight paths compliment each other, so it is in tune with and beneficial towards all eight of them). As a result of reading this book at this stage in my development, I now feel that I'm much better at practicing mindfulness, and I definitely feel much happier as a result. I think it's one thing to understand Buddhist theory rationally, but this book and its exercises have helped me greatly in terms of putting it in to practice. It's as if my meditation has crossed over into the rest of my life (or maybe the rest of my life has crossed over into my meditation?)!

Buddhism is so inclusive that I imagine that this book would also be beneficial to someone who isn't a Buddhist, and would not clash with any beliefs/non-beliefs they might have. It's simply about learning to live in the moment, and "Be Here Now" seems to be the aim of many different schools of religion and spirituality. It's possible that someone with a very cynical attitude might not benefit from it, and might be annoyed by its occasional repetition - lucky for me I don't fall into that category!

I am someone who always seems to have a whole stack of books waiting to be read, and impatiently ploughs through them on a quest for more knowledge (trying to fill that bottomless bucket!). Reading this book, I had the unique experience of enjoying it greatly, and yet not feeling in any hurry to finish it or to be anywhere other than where I was right at that moment. Hence often I would read just a few pages and then pause and become conscious of my breathing. Not for any reason...just because! And thanks to the Tangerine Meditation, my food has never seemed so fascinating or tasted so good...I've never savoured every single bite like I do now. In fact that is what this book teaches you how to do...to experience fully and savour every single 'bite' of life. It is a book that in one sense did not teach me anything I did not already know, and yet it has made my life so much more enjoyable. What higher recommendation could I give you than that!?

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, inspiring, tranformational, 10 April 2002
Self-help junkie (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
An excellent book written by a Buddhist monk about different ways to live 'mindfully' - which seems to mean living so that I do not lose touch with what is of ultimate significance in the daily round of passing tasks/events. The style is simple, but the message inspiring, and ultimately life-transforming if absorbed and lived.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Peace Is Every Step (Paperback)
I was given this book by a friend. It is such a simple book to read with easy to use examples that can be implemented immediately to bring peace into your life.

I am buying extra copies for friends and family.

Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh (Paperback - 1 Jan 1991)
6.99