5.0 out of 5 stars A great read
This book was absolutely fascinating from start to finish - a wonderful period of history, to which Alison Weir has done complete justice.
Each of the wives are written about in more-than-adequate detail - if this wasn't a non-fiction piece of literature, you could say that the characterisation was top notch.
When completing this book (which shouldn't take too...
Published on 25 Jan 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars An exhaustive account but beware of unverified accounts and factual errors
As much as I enjoyed reading this book, I think that Weir sometimes lacks the flair, written vivacity and the wit that other writers such as Starkey, Fraser and (dare I say it!) even Denny are able to postulate. I say this because I personally felt that it was difficult to concentrate and persevere at times due in part though I must acknowledge to the sheer volume of the...
Published on 7 Oct 2011 by Apocalyptic Queen

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative & intriguing, 28 April 2008
Ms. L. J. Waldron (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I must admit I didn't know it would be a biography-style book when I bought it, but it also had aspects of a story in it which made it a good read.

I liked the way the book progressed from one wife to another and particularly liked the way the book was divided into parts and chapters which seemed to produce a sound organisation and clear, easy navigation of the book not only as a fictional read but also as a reference book.

Alison Weir is clearly a very dedicated historian writer. Facts and fiction carefully fused together and arguments sorted out (paintings and portrait descriptions were argued very well). I liked the way she sometimes brings the 21st century into her writing, explaining for example, what remains today of the palaces and houses of Henry VIII and the burial sites of the monarchs. Very interesting stuff.

All in all, i enjoyed reading it although in future may stick to Alison's fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Read, 29 Mar 2009
I am a big fan of Alison Weir's, and am in the process of collecting all of her books right now. I bought this book a week ago and was done with it within a day and a half because I did not want to put it down.

Funny thing is, I was not overly enthusiastic about it when I first picked it up because as a history buff, I mistakenly thought I knew all I needed to know about Henry VIII and his six wives. I was so wrong.

Alison Weir takes the reader on a seamless journey through Henry's marriages, going into great detail about each of these women, as well as Henry VIII beyond the caricature that we all recognize. My opinion on each of the women was altered as little known facts emerged and personalities developed from carefully researched primary sources. To sit here and explain how and why some of my opinions on these figures changed would be an unecessary tangent, but I will say this: the very human picture of Henry VIII that I came away with certainly softened my views on a man that did just about everything to excess.

If you have never read anything by Alison Weir, this is an excellent place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it really a history book???, 11 Jun 2003
This review is from: The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Paperback)
This is a throughly enjoyable read, which explores Henry VIII's wives in depth; but if you are unfamiliar with the era Alison Weir includes lots of background information so that by the end of the novel you have a quite comprehensive knowledge of Tudor England and European politics!!
The authors attention to detail such as the main characters appearance and wardrobe really sets the scene, so much so that I felt as though I was a part of the Tudor court.
This book had me hooked, it's really enjoyable but I actually learnt alot as well! What more could you ask of a history book??

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, well written and enlightening, 17 Jan 1999
This review is from: The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Paperback)
I have read many books about Henry VIII and his wives and this has been the most enjoyable. I have been left with the feeling that I know the characters of each of the wives. This book does not load down the reader with references and cross references, although this is all available in the Bibliography, and the Family Trees are facinating. I found this book an excellent read about a facinating subject and now I am hungry to read the "Children of England" and "Elizabeth I".

5.0 out of 5 stars David Starkey, who?!, 22 Jan 2010
Alison Weir is the Queen of history novels, her books are highly palatable for all types of readers. Alison has a talent for recreating history as if it stands in front of you today, she crams in every last detail of historical references in an interesting and comprehensible manner, she's highly skilled at awakening the passion inside many for British history.

I have read most of Alison Weirs books and am yet to be disappointed by a single one, even the fiction books can give the non-fiction a good run for their money on historical detail. If your thinking about starting reading Alison Weir books make sure you clear your diary because you won't be doing much else for a time!

Start with "Six Wives", then move on to "The Children of England - the heirs of Henry VIII" followed by "Elizabeth - the Queen". From here the stage is set for Alison Weirs historical passion to enthrall you. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 July 2007
This review is from: The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Paperback)
I bought this book as someone simply interested in Tudor history. I found it extremely readable, written with the non-historian in mind. Fascinating and concise, I was hugely entertained from beginning to end. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 30 Aug 2009
I've just finished me A-levels in which I've been studying 20th century history (mainly Mussolini and fascism, Hitler etc). So I wanted to read a different period in time and because this has such great reviews I chose this one. I was not disappointed! Very interesting, readable and perspicuously explained, Wier really does a great job. Her Elisabeth book is equally as interesting as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the real story and not a dramatisation!, 6 April 2010
I have always found Tudor history very interesting, and spurred on by what i was sure were huge historical inaccuraccies in the TV series The Tudor's i bought this book after seeing the ammount of great reviews it had.

I have to admit it took me a while to pluck up the courage to start - i enjoy history but did not have the patience for the minute details of political goings on that were required during school/university study. To me the figures took away from the human element of history which is what interests me. Eventually (spurred on by the film The Other Boleyn Girl - again historical inaccuracies!!) i picked up and started reading.

Alison really does do a great job of making historical fact readable. As others have commented - you cannot put this down and it is as gripping a book as any other i have read despite my knowing the various fates of the wives in question. There are historical facts, dates and political goings on - but all covered in an accessible way that is all very much about the human aspects of all of the key players. She also includes amazing descriptions of some of the tudor fashions, creating something for everyone. I learned some things i had never known - and to be honest i had thought i knew quite a lot. The biggest surprise was regarding Anne Boleyn, whom i have seen painted in an awful light. You get the feeling Alison is not biased against any of them - giving both sides to every story.

I cannot rave about this enough - amazing for anyone wanting to get an unbiased view on this era which you cannot get from the various films and TV dramas about at the minute!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I have read!, 28 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Paperback)
I am a great history lover, but this was the first big book about the Tudors i had read. It fascinated me with, not only the lives of the six wives, but with letters, dates, and some things which i thought must have taken ages to find out. It makes sense, and has readability as well as enjoyability, it made me think as though i was an onlooker at each of the events. I am just about to buy 'The Children of England', and, if this book is anything to go by, it will give me the ultimate information on all four of the children of England!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to those six famous ladies, 26 Jun 2009
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a really well written, clear and concise account of Henry VIII's six wives. I actually used it as a companion to The Autobiography of Henry VIII with Notes by His Fool Will Somers by Margaret George (great book) just incase I lost my way with who's who.

With it being non-fiction I found it easy to dip in and out of and Weir clearly know her stuff. I never once felt either out of my depth or partonised and Weir always gives unbiased information. I partiularly liked the introduction which gave the reader an overview of many of the customs of the Tudor period, including the marriage bed ritual for newly-weds. Apparantly the man and woman (or girl and boy as they mainly were in thoses days) were udressed by their families and then they had to climb into bed together for the first time while all thier family and friends stood around watching. Then they would be left alone for a few hours before having the sheets checked for signs of nookie. Can you imagine the humiliation????? Your Dad standing over you while you hop into bed with your man for the first time. Mortification!

Great book. A must for anyone wanting background on those 6 famous ladies.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

The Six Wives of Henry VIII
The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir (Paperback - 6 Mar 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01