5.0 out of 5 stars A great read
This book was absolutely fascinating from start to finish - a wonderful period of history, to which Alison Weir has done complete justice.
Each of the wives are written about in more-than-adequate detail - if this wasn't a non-fiction piece of literature, you could say that the characterisation was top notch.
When completing this book (which shouldn't take too...
Published on 25 Jan. 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars An exhaustive account but beware of unverified accounts and factual errors
As much as I enjoyed reading this book, I think that Weir sometimes lacks the flair, written vivacity and the wit that other writers such as Starkey, Fraser and (dare I say it!) even Denny are able to postulate. I say this because I personally felt that it was difficult to concentrate and persevere at times due in part though I must acknowledge to the sheer volume of the...
Published on 7 Oct. 2011 by Apocalyptic Queen

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tudor England, 28 Sept. 2011
Mrs. G. Lawrenson (England) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. Full of detail and life in Tudor England. I would definately reccommend this book which is a fascinating journey and very well writen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every stone must have been overturned and examined with a microscope during the research for this book *****, 24 July 2014
Gives ALL info the author has researched and she has done this extensively to include even the female history which is quite often overlooked. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Six Wives of Henry VIII, 15 Jun. 2013
This book arrived promptly and was a very good read. I would recommend this book to people interested in Henry VIII.

4.0 out of 5 stars King Henry VIIIth, 1 May 2009
Mrs. Lisa J. Smith "Supersmith" (Gloucestershire England) - See all my reviews
Very informative but hard to follow at times. Recommended if you want lots of facts about King Henry VIIIth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 10 May 2013
This is a great read, giving insight into the wives of Henry VIII. It is well written and very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writing - A great story, 26 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Paperback)
Alison Weir does us all regale With another thrilling historic tale I really did enjoy this book And so I recommend you take a look King Henry had him wives galore But the story contains so much more When Arthur died his reign begun He being the eldest living son Henry was a strapping lad And was left a million by his dad Wolsey was left to run the Court While Harry lad indulged in sport Arthur had not done the deed So by all it was agreed That Katherine a maiden did remain And England required a friend in Spain So Henry's wife number one Was virtuous Katherine of Arragon For an heir the king he strived And save for Mary none survived A lack of sons hurt Henry's pride A curse that came with Arthur's bride? He pressed his wife to admit her sin But she alas would not give in So many cardinals he employed To make his marriage null and void Then angered by Rome's prevarication He became the head of church and nation The church of England would begin With his marriage to Anne Boleyn She gave birth to good queen Bess But females then were valued less Again the boys did not survive And so old Cromwell did connive Charged with treason she screamed with shock And then they led her to the block As English justice ran its course Henry fell down from his horse From that day the king was lame And his life was not quite the same Jane Seymour was pale and fair And she gave the king a son and heir Jane had proved her wifely worth But she did die right after the birth About the looks of Anne of Cleves It seems that Hobein's art deceives Anne was welcomed by the nation But the king refused the consummation He said with her desire was dulled And quickly had the tie annulled Katherine Howard was just fifteen When fat old Harry made her his queen But the happy union was not to last As she was caught up by her past Youthful romps upon her bed Did cost this little girl her head Six there were but five so far So we come to Katherine Parr A widowed woman of great respect Was blessed with powerful intellect But her diverting thought and clever mind Led to danger she did find Aware of some dark conspiracy She found it wiser to agree Henry's health was fading fast And Katherine Parr was the last Cue applause and raise a cheer Another cracker from Alison Weir

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 26 Nov. 2013
I have always been fascinated by Henry VIII and his wives and I found this book to be very interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars henry viii, 9 May 2013
Alison wier never fails to impress me and I find it difficult to put her books down . It is exellent

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book but not as good the second time, 9 Dec. 2008
I first read this book several years ago when I had first developed an interest in the tudor monarchy, I recall that the first time I read it I couldnt put it down and really enjoyed it. I lent it to a friend who never returned it so I recently purchased a second copy so I could re-read it (I wish I hadnt). The second read was nowhere near as enjoyable as the first time - part of the problem being the surprise element had gone but no blame to the author for that. However I also found the English annoyed me the second time I read it and at times I thought it was slightly patronising toward the reader. But it was a still a good read and I would lend it to anyone (This time I don't expect to get it back)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 21 Aug. 2014
Have not finished reading this book at this time but is is interesting reading

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 | Next ›

The Six Wives of Henry VIII
The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir (Paperback - 6 Mar. 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01