5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to read, I love this author's style.
I have read David Starkey books on the tudor and period and, personally, I find them pretty hard going and at the end of the book I can't remember much about what has been said for some reason (I think he uses too many big words for me - I have to have a dictionary beside me when I read his books!). I find Alison Weir's books are so much more enjoyable and much easier to...
Published on 31 Dec 2008 by Ria B

3.0 out of 5 stars An engaging and witty account of the reign of Elizabeth I
I enjoyed reading this account on the life of Elizabeth, which deigned to cover her entire documented life from her beginnings, adolescence, to the triumph of her accession, troubles with the Catholic recusants and Mary Queen of Scots to her potential matrimonial woes and the final years of her reign.

Weir does well to cover such a complicated and long period...
Published on 2 Jan 2012 by Apocalyptic Queen

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Royal red-head rules the roost and the roosters, 11 May 1999
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
To those like me who always thought that history was as dry as the minds that teach it in schools; books like this are a revelation. The story of queen Elizabeth I, is one that should fascinate and inspire women of every generation; and Weir's skill is making a long and detailed story totally absorbing. It is the detail that fascinates and delights at every turn of the page but most of all it is a great story. The blockbuster blurb would read: Feisty young girl escapes her dysfunctional family and prison to succeed in a political career. She forsakes marriage but surrounds herself with handsome men (Sir Robert Dudley looks more like Errol Flynn, than Errol Flynn himself). Even though living on a strict budget she still manages to have a wardrobe of three-thousand dresses. Oh yes, and her people loved her. She could be a bit of a cow though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant account, by turns moving, harrowing and sobering, 9 Nov 2014
This review is from: Elizabeth, The Queen (Paperback)
Alison Weir has fleshed out Elizabeth's character to a powerful degree, through the close examination of the events for which her reign is both famed and notorious, so now I feel I understand and can empathise with the woman behind the historic events, her humanity, her strengths and weaknesses. It makes me, too, fully conscious of the pressures that were upon Elizabeth, and it fills me with admiration at the way she responded, both as a woman and as a ruler, to key events such as the threat posed by the behaviour of Mary Queen of Scots. The way Elizabeth reacted, in particular, to the massacre of St Bartholomew in France, reminds me of the position the West is currently in, having to compromise with Assad against a worse evil. Elizabeth I was constantly having to choose between the lesser of two evils.

I found the book by turns moving, harrowing and sobering. You cannot help seeing correspondences between the pressures on Elizabeth and those on today's politicians. If she was in charge now we'd probably have avoided several of the conflicts we've seen since the Second World War. How, for example, would we respond to Islamist extremism if we had the personality, the strength, and the particular quirks of Elizabeth I to drive events? I feel that, in very different times, she would have found a card to play, equally clever and appropriate as the ones she played in sixteenth century England.

A brilliant account of this great monarch.

5.0 out of 5 stars accessible and fascinating, 15 Aug 1999
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
The best thing about Wier is that documents, accounts,paintings and events are integral to her storytelling. Too many historians stick the actual evidence in footnotes, (or ignore it as an inconvenience) while Wier, yet again produces a gripping tale that is as convincing as it is readable. Buy all her others, starting with her Six Wives of Henry VIII - beats Antonia Fraser's into a cocked hat.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely readable biography of a fascinating woman, 8 Feb 2000
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
This was my first try at a book written by Alsion Weir. I have always been enchanted by Queen Elizabeth 1st & it was pure joy to read a book written by someone who has done their homework. Alison Weir has made this Tudor monarch come alive for me as no other author has (so far) She has shaken the dust from history for me, and it has made me want to read more of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Telling it like it is, 23 April 2012
J. F. James - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabeth, The Queen (Paperback)
This must be one of the most readable biographies ever written about an historic figure. The research is deep and well documented and, best of all, she seems to write without grinding any personal axes, religious or otherwise. She is duly cynical about the Elizabeth/Leicester affaire and caustic about the subservience which Elizabeth showed to Essex in her latter years. She misses an oportunity to tell us more about a few famous contemporary characters such as Topclyffe, her rack-master and Mendoza, the Spanish ambassador. There is very little about her relationships with Francis Drake and William Shakespeare. Did she meet Shakespeare personally for instance, when she requested a new play about Sir John Falstaff? Nevertlesless this is a thoroughly good read. The only criticism is that, being a long book, it is printed in a typeface so small that my wife has difficulty in reading it, even with a hand glass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portrait of a formidable woman, 2 Sep 2011
V. Dixon (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabeth, The Queen (Paperback)
After watching the Cate Blanchett films of Elizabeth, I wanted to know more about this fascinating woman. This was a subject never covered at school and before the films I was completely ignorant of her story. I found this book very easy to read and not the potentially boring, over factual - far end of a f*rt type book that I dreaded it might be (that being one of the many benefits of free previews on Kindle). I felt like I really got an insight into her character and found the story of her life very interesting and entertaining - she was strong, extremely intelligent, funny and fiercely loyal to her people. When I finished the book I felt like I had lost an old friend, I had enjoyed being immersed in her world that much I read it again and that is unusual for me, particularly with a non-fiction book. Really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great non-fiction read., 19 Oct 2007
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
I was totally hooked on this book right from the start, although I usually read historical novels rather than non-fiction. It is so well written and descriptive that I felt I was an eye-witness at the Tudor court. If only school history lessons had been so interesting!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping story, 6 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Elizabeth the Queen (Paperback)
The other books I've read by Weir have been really interesting, but this beats thm all. It's vibrant, accessible and utterly absorbing. Elizabeth 1 and her court really come to life. The story is expertly told,and Weir uses contemporary sources to powerful and often poignant effect. I could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The True Meaning of Majesty, 5 Nov 2008
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
This book picks up Elizabeth's life at the time of her sucession to the English throne up unto her death in 1603.It covers every aspect of her reign. The continual threat from Mary, Queen of Scots, Spanish invasion and excomunication from Rome are just some of the troubles that Elizabeth had to deal with. The reader is also made very well acquainted with all the political stars of the day who were so essential to the affairs of the country and others who sought their own advancement only. Alison Weir paints a wonderful all round picture of the last Tudor court, which always gives me the impression that I'm watching a film rather than reading a book. With so much material available on Elizabeth I it can be difficult to make a choice. For a detailed journey of her pre- Queen life, one should look elsewhere. But this is as a superbly informative narrative of her reign. Thoroughly enjoyable reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars An avid fan, 24 Mar 2009
This review is from: Elizabeth, The Queen (Paperback)
This is one of Alison Weir's best. Having read her earlier book "The Lady Elizabeth" I was eager to read "Elizabeth, The Queen" and was certainly not disappointed. I was engrossed the whole time and found in it everything I could wish to know about this fascinating woman. Weir paints with words like an inspired artist with her brush and brings to vivid life all the colour and the intrigues of the Elizabethan court.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Elizabeth, the Queen
Elizabeth, the Queen by Alison Weir (Paperback - 1 April 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01