5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read it 20 years ago!
Published on 19 Jan. 2007 by Dandi Hays

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless
It just felt like I was reading a continuous intro waiting for the actual advice to start. Chucked it across the room and felt much better.
Published 15 months ago by Heather

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read it 20 years ago!, 19 Jan. 2007
I had heard of this book often enough, but never read it. As they say when the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear. If you are really struggling with your life this book will give you heart, if you have been working on yourself it will remind you of all that you have learnt and prompt you to keep it up. So what is it all about? Firstly, it points out that everybody gets fearful, but that some people rise to the challenges they face more positively than others and so succeed in their lives, while others just seem to shrink, becoming more and more overwhelmed by everything. This book shows you how to turn your thoughts around to the positive, to switch off your inner nag and just get on with life. It isn't corny, it isn't gimmicky, but it is truly uplifting and calming, and it works. Last night my dishwasher broke and rather than get into a stew about finding the time to get it repaired and the expense etc as I would have done I just remembered ' I'll handle it' and got it sorted. This is a fairly trivial example, but those of us who are prone to worry and anxiety, are easily overwound by the most mundane things, so it is so good to have some tools to get life into the right perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent view on handling fear, 12 Mar. 2003
Amazon Customer "Alexander Kjerulf" (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway (Paperback)
This book is about the fears that we all have in our lives to some degree. Fear of failing. Fear of succeeding. Fear of decisions. Fear of aging, of loss or of helplessness.
The books basic premise is, that your aim should not be to get rid of your fears. You should feel your fear, but not let it stop you from doing things you really want to do.
The book describes three levels of fear. The first level is the actual event that you fear - say losing you job. The second level is the deeper fear, triggered by the first level - eg. rejection (if being fired would make you feel rejected). Beneath that on the third level there's only one fear: The fear that you won't be able to cope. If you knew in advance that you could take it, there would be nothing to be afraid of. So all fear reduces to fear of not being able to cope.
This is interesting, because this means that the best way to handle your fear, isn't to make your life safer - it's to increase your abilities, or your faith in your abilities. The more you know you can handle, the less reason there is to fear.
This point is illustrated with several stories of people who have diminished their lives time and again, to keep safe. This doesn't reduce fear, quite the contrary, these people lived in perpetual fear. When some catastrophic event interfered with their reduced existence (say the death of a spouse), some of these people found that they were forced to reconnect with life, and that they could cope. And this reduced their fear.
The book also emphasizes positivity as a way to reduce fear. The book argues that you need to constantly train your positive thinking, or you'll revert to negative thinking.
There's also an excellent chapter on decision making, which argues that many of us see a decision making process mostly in the light of what we'll lose or risk in each alternative before us. To reduce the fear (or discomfort) of making a decision, we should realize that all options are good, and that no mater what we choose, it's still up to us to make it work.
The book contains many illustrative stories and exercises you can try yourself. I found it informative, entertaining and thought-provoking, and I recommend this book to anyone interested in the mechanisms that hold people back from growth and change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful book, 28 Oct. 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
We all hear that phrase: ''A book that will change your life'' - well, Susan Jeffers' book really will do that, or at least help you enormously.

I have suffered badly from social anxiety and depression for over a year, and although I'm still not one hundred percent better, reading 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway' has helped me so much. I can honestly say that I have come on leaps and boundaries since taking on board what Susan has written.

It was recommended to me by my counselor, and it was such a comfort in itself to have a book like this on hand to refer to whenever I was experiencing my lowest moods. Although a lot of the advice here is basic common sense, my mind was in such a bad place that I wasn't thinking logically anymore, so it was great for me to finally be able to see the bigger picture again. The techniques are simple, but you have to do your own work. it is challenging at first but by practicing and taking little steps, and actually doing things for yourself - I have managed to overcome lots of different things.

This really is an excellent book, packed with wonderful techniques, it's very easy to read, with a good mix of understanding and humour. There is a big emphasis in training your mind to think positively about yourself, the situations you are in and what you may encounter, this is very important, you must believe in yourself, that's the bottom line. It was also great to read stories of other people who have conquered their fears and changed their lives around, it's very inspiring, and a good reminder that you're not the only one who has gone through it.

I am slowly recovering from my anxiety (brought on mainly by letting people get to me, but I certainly won't be allowing anyone to do that again), and it is largely due to this book. If your going through a difficult time at the moment, I can highly recommend 'Feel the Fear', because it really did give me the confidence to get up and say to myself: 'right, it's time to move on, time to change my life, and I CAN do it'.

All that's left to say is a very big thank you to Susan Jeffers for writing such a useful self-help book. I will have a copy of it for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for anyone who fears anything at anytime!, 30 July 2001
This review is from: Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway (Paperback)
I bought this book many years ago when suffering from agoraphobia, it was quite a struggle to get through the book, because I have found in great times of stress, reading is the last thing on your mind. I struggled with bits and more bits and eventually began to realise that it was possible to face a very real fear and try to do something about it, instead of wallowing in self pity. I took the first step in the book, the daily affirmations and took all the advice in the pages that followed. Gradually it seeped in and I began small steps, suffice to say my agoraphobia has gone. The next challenge was the death of my husband, once again this book pulled me up and through. Then again this year the desertion by my beloved husband, and the rejection and self doubt and panic that follows. Once again this book enabled me to hang on in there and move house!!! something I was terrified of, but Ive done it!!!" Now Im going to France - YES ON MY OWN!! My thanks to Susan and her book, Ive got my sanity back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing and the book you have been looking for, 14 May 2010
"Feel the fear and do it anyway" is a book unlike others that I have read. Yes there are many self-improvement books out there along with DVD's and self-help groups, workshops and seminars, but out of all that I have digested, this book alone stands as the most life-altering tool that I have come across. That is not to rule out all other resources that are out there to you, just for me personally, this book tops everything so far.

Rather than going into what the book contains (you`ll find out for yourself once you get a copy), I'll tell you what impact it has had on me... At the beginning of 2009 my life was in turmoil in every aspect. It was then that I stumbled upon "The Secret", which I will say had an immediate and profound impact on me and it still serves as a positive force in my life. But the incredible inspiration and optimism I felt was only temporary and I was left with some questions and holes that I felt it hadn't answered/filled in. This is where this amazing book comes in. It has filled in all the gaps that I was left with after watching the "The Secret". What's also worth note is how the whole "Secret" itself, which is the law of attraction is integrated into the system that this book offers, so not only does it utilise the Secret but it covers all the other aspects of personal development that I can think of.

It is a truly remarkable read, and rather than that temporary feeling that everything will change (that I experienced with so many other self-improvement sources) it has calmed my fears, anxiety and worries, altered my negative and depressive thought processes and made me feel for the first time, truly content that life will pan out the way I now intend it. I'm left with an inner warmth of abundance and best of all, rather than instantly thinking "my life is completely fixed", you'll except that this is just the beginning of your journey and PROGRESSIVELY things will change and improve and that is what makes life so beautiful. Success is not a destination, it is a journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel the fear and do it anyway, 18 May 2007
A. Welsh (west midlands,england) - See all my reviews
I am not a big believer in these sort of books,but i thought i would give it a try,purchased a few off amazon,this is the first i read,and there is a change in myself,i have noticed and the people i work with too,in about 3 weeks i don't seem to put myself down like i did.I related alot to the content,the chatter box inside me seems to have drowned out and i do seem alot happier.There is no miracle here just rethinking about how you approach life and how you can improve it.there are mental exercises to do every day and now i do feel more confident.it sounds corny but it has changed my mind about these books.it works,i am still amazed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful stuff, 11 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway (Paperback)
Unlike many of the reviewers, I wasn't at rock bottom when I read this book. I was, however, unhappy with my career and I had let it affect other areas of my life so that I generally felt dissatisfied and depressed. A friend mentioned "Feel the Fear" to me and I thought I'd give it a go. The interesting thing is that I didn't really think of myself as "afraid" of anything before I read the book. Then I realised that fear of failure had actually affected my life and career quite substantially - I just didn't commit 100% to anything for fear of it failing, I always kept myself a little detached from big decisions or projects which involved me striking out on my own. Well the first step in fixing a problem is to realise it's there in the first place! I can't say yet whether Susan Jeffers has changed my life, but I have bought the companion book "Feel the Fear and Beyond" and am working through the exercises in it right now. And I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the outcome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel the Fear & Do It Anyway, 17 Nov. 2003
I have this on audio cassette and am ordering again on CD as my new car doesn't have a cassette player! This book gives me the strength to keep going when I feel I can't. I listen to it over and over again and always hear something that supports me. Susan reminds us that our power comes from within and that we can change our lives by changing our attitudes. This is a truely liberating book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing read., 19 Aug. 1999
This review is from: Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway (Paperback)
This is the sort of book that friends recommend saying things like, "It changed my life!". This was how I came to read 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway'. I was at a very low ebb when a friend suggested I read it, and I will always be grateful to her. Since I read the book, I've recommended it to at least one other friend whose life has changed drastically as a result. I hope that it will change your life for the better too.
The basic message Susan Jeffers is putting across is that the big fear underlying all the little fears we have is 'I won't be able to handle it if ... happens'. She gently explores fears, and encourages you to accept that fear is OK, perfectly normal, and despite the fear, you CAN handle it! So often our fears prevent us from moving on but we can overcome them and learn to listen to our 'Higher Self', rather than that nagging, criticising little voice most of us have as a constant companion.
I first read it 6 months ago, but this is the sort of book that you keep picking up as life throws things at you. I only have to find the chapter that goes with my current situation and I can find the strength to deal with it.
There is so much in this book that a review can scarcely do it justice - I chose to write this review because I would like others to get the benefit from the book that I did.
After reading 'Feel the Fear...' I also read another book by Susan Jeffers, 'End the Struggle and Dance with Life'. I would say that the two complement each other perfectly, and have definitely lead me to a substantial change in my attitude to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book to Change Your Life, 25 July 2000
By A Customer
This book was recommended to me by a dear friend and I was sceptical when I first picked it up. I have to say that since that date, the enthusiasm which has been instilled in me by Ms Jeffers book has indeed changed my life! Positivity flows throughout the book and there are many helpful hints for people who are floundering. If you have ever felt that there was more to life than this - read it - absorb it and do it! I have since recommended this book to no fewer than 8 of my close personal friends but I would not be prepared to lend it out! Definately a read and read again publication!

Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway
Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway by Susan J. Jeffers (Paperback - 9 Jan. 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01