4.0 out of 5 stars Beginning, Advertisment and End
Published on 31 Aug 2000 by matthew gibson

2.0 out of 5 stars hopes dashed
I really enjoy the road less travelled, a book worthy of re reading to approach an understanding.
Published on 24 Aug 2010 by Gongoozler

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginning, Advertisment and End, 31 Aug 2000
matthew gibson (loughborough, Leics United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Road Less Travelled And Beyond: Spiritual Growth in an Age of Anxiety: Spiritual Growth in an Age of Uncertainty (Paperback)
As scott peck realises he is reaching old age he becomes more reflective. More reflective of himself and what he has done in his life, and also of his previous work. This book starts and ends very powerfully with some excellent thoughts and amendments of some of his previous thoughts. He goes deeper into some topics already discussed in previous books but during the middle I couldnt help but feel that it was a bit of an advertisment for some of his earlier work. Not as gripping or motivating as some of his other books but it does have the definitive section on spirituality. This is very good, but he has already said most of it some where else.

2.0 out of 5 stars hopes dashed, 24 Aug 2010
This book starts off with an excellent first chapter....incisive, logical, all that I would have hoped for. Then the book, along with it's 'sister' 'Further along.....' dives into a mire of poor argument, contradiction and obsession. I am again upset that he has gone this way since writing 'The Road.....' I will keep and re read the original (and best) and in principle I will tear out and keep Chapter 1 of this book, but the rest, along with 'Further...' will be consigned to the metaphorical bin.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 26 Mar 2010
J. E. Callender "Johnny C" (Greenwich, London) - See all my reviews
An intersting read. Not as insightful or gripping as the first, but a valid follow up.

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful book, challenging and confronting, 19 July 1998
By A Customer
Initially I found the book a little slow and less exiting than "The Road Less Travelled" and this disappointed me at first. However it gets better and more confronting. I struggled to keep up my reading pace due to the implications of what the writer touched on. Its not easy to be a 'conscious thinker' as Peck puts it and this brought home the difficulties that I have experienced in my own life. Every person has their own way to avoid being true to themselves.
I think that "The Road Less Travelled" is a great book to read if you've just started on the journey to mental/spiritual health. "The Road Less Travelled and Beyond" is helpful for those who have taken up the challenge of personal growth for some time and are ready for more challenges.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a very practical book, 23 Oct 1997
By A Customer
If you like the book The Road Less Traveled, you could be disappointed by this one. This book is just a synopsis of a number of the author's views on various topics like life and organisation without having examined and discussed each topic in detail. However those who like to have a concise guide to some of the Peck's view might find this interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic way to give new use to psycho-analysis, 13 Feb 2013
After The Road Less Travelled, which was my first book from Scott Peck, this is going to fulfil its role of enlightening our soul and our mind
I recommend this book to all who want to learn some more about themselves.
ANd I will certainly recommend it to all the colleagues who work with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 10 Jan 2013
great book,present for some one on spiritual growing path say`s its a great help seems to be working,recommeded reading for those who seem lost

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Mind Opening - Permission to be yourself at last, 24 April 2010
Caroline (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
WOW - Mind Opening - Permission to be yourself at last.
This is the first time I have ever read anything by M.Scott Peck. Initially I wondered if I would be able to read this book. The beginning of chapter one and I was still wondering but by the end of the chapter I was hooked. What a book. Ever page I turned seemed to give me permission to live. All be it different to societies definition of normal. I found this book so therapeutic. I am however left wondering why he refers to God as a `She', and why his definitions of diabolic and symbolic are so different from those in the dictionary. Or have I missed something?
Maybe if more people were to learn psychology in schools then we would have a more understanding and tolerant world. Maybe it should be compulsory. Certainly more useful than many of the subjects we are being taught.
Mind you I am not sure I would have understood this book had I not been 51 years old. I am however grateful to have discovered it and sorry to learn of the authors death. What a loss to society.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paradoxically I'm in two minds about this book, 3 Jan 1999
By A Customer
It's a summary but also a mild extension of Peck's previous works (although I have only read two others). I very much like his notion of 'paradox' being central to life and the system of which we are part. His words on the reality of death I found confronting but very sensible and challenging, and felt that this was an important part of the book for me. I found other parts of the book fairly self-indulgent, for example his constant references to his marriage and the mistakes he had made, his descriptions of his foundation (FCE) having to learn about business and the realities of retrenchment etc, and also his poetry. It takes effort to read this book. I would not recommend it to any of my friends, but am glad I pushed on and finished it myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A recommended Journey, 29 Aug 2009
G. B. Roberts "Geoff "man of letters"" (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
Oh my lord! This is a gift of a book from a seer of an altogether different order. You know when you read a novel or a poem and it simply rings true? Or when you finally, after many weeks or months, or even years of procrastination, get round to cleaning or fixing something. There's a sense of satisfaction, and a disbelief that you didn't do it sooner.

Not a book to resign to a shelf of any kind after you read it. Keep it close.

ARRAY(0xaaff9d5c)