5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic
I just bought a pack of these today and I love them already. Everyone must know about the Rider-Waite cards by now so I won't bore you with details of the pictures, you can see cards from this deck on Aecletic Tarot.com.

Published on 14 Jun 2007 by Lilly Penhaligon

Published 9 months ago by THE D HAMMER

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic, 14 Jun 2007
Lilly Penhaligon (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)

The cards themselves are laminated and therefore really glossy, thick and feel delightful to the touch. It also makes them quite slippery to shuffle sometimes. The cards are a nice size and fit in the hand comfortably.

A lot of people have criticised this edition of the Rider Waite collection citing mute brownes and sepia's and lacklustre nature of the pictures - for a time even I thought they were plain ugly, however, on a closer inspection, I really started to appreciate the beauty behind the images. Ok, so there are an infinite number of more aesthetically appealing decks available, and the artwork on these cards sometimes leaves something to be desired, however, I think if you give these cards a chance and take a really good look at them, you will start to find the charm and classic beauty behind them as I did. Even though I've only had them for one afternoon, just looking at each one, I already feel immensely connected to this particular deck. This is now the 6th deck in my collection but I can see it will prob be one of my trusted favourites.

Overall, I think the browns and sepias work well, they are easy on the eye, I don't feel that they are dull or muted but then again, art is a highly personal thing. The cards are easy for beginners to connect to - you can look at a card and immediately start to intuit what the meanings are and most books on the Tarot work with, or are immediately applicable to the Rider Waites.

The book that comes with it is an interesting read but not an essential and the cards really do seem to speak for themselves. Definitely one of my ultimate decks.

IF you prefer vibrant colours but want to stick with Rider Waite images, try the Radiant Rider-Waite (soon to be joining my collection) or if you want a midway between teh Originals and the Radiant, try the Universals which are excellent for meditation as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'comfy slippers' deck, 15 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
Why is this deck a classic? It's not so much that THIS version IS a classic - the colours are certainly a bit dull, but I feel that this does lend this particular Rider-Waite-Smith (RWS) version a certain charm of it's own.

This deck is my 'comfy slippers' deck because it was the first deck that I learned to read with, and I always slip back to using it - just like a pair of comfy old slippers! Why did I learn with this deck? Because the RWS deck (regardless of colouring issues) has classic symbolism and imagery that has spawned a host of clone decks. So, if you understand the RWS, you will be able to safely step into many other new decks with confidence.

I would also suggest that most training groups (unless designed to run with a specific deck) favour the RWS as their training deck, for this very reason.

The basics: 78-card deck with accompanying Little White Book (LWB). As with any other deck, don't depend on the LWB for your sole repertoire of interpretations.

Back is blue/white grid type pattern that lends itself to reversals.

Traditional 22 Majors, with Strength is VIII, Justice is XI. The elements associated with the Minor Arcana are Wands/Fire; Swords/Air; Cups/Water; Pentacles/Earth. These are the standard formats that *most* subsequent Tarot decks follow.

It's a fully illustrated pip deck - in other words, there are pictures on EVERY card, not just the 22 Major Arcana. Having pix on all the cards makes it easy to build up your interpretations.

Again, these are reasons why the RWS decks continue to be so popular.

My advice is that if you don't like the muted colours, pick another deck. Whatever version, be confident that choosing a Rider Waite Smith deck is a first rate beginner's option and it will never let you down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the tin... original and best, 18 Feb 2010
Gaius Ares (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This is a tarot deck for all. The definition of the western tarot canon, it stands out as being one of the first decks to have a different picture for every card, even the Minor Arcana's numbered cards. The pictures are rich in symbolism and allegory: some may be simple, but that basic imagery can be all the more disturbing.

Disturbing? I say disturbing because that is what I love most about this deck. It is not joyful. It is not lighthearted. It is always serious. The scenes are played out on barren landscapes; the small frame of view does not render an entire world to the imagination. One perceives nothingness, beyond the bare outlay of symbols and characters.

And so, that old chestnut, the colouring, is resolved. The muted sincerity is entirely appropriate to the subject matter. Furthermore, the reduced contrast inspires closer inspection of the cards, a more thoughtful consideration. This deck is quite simply the best for uncomplicated and yet deep tarot reading.

P.S. I should note here that I am not a mystic tarot user. To me, a rationalist and a skeptic (also an atheist), the tarot is a way of finding creative solutions to problems through the use of a random visual stimulus. It focuses your mind on a problem, and by attempting to perceive meaning in the cards, one finds a new way of looking at the problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great visionry cards and easy for beginners, 19 May 2001
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
I have had a pack of these for some years but only just bought a book on how to use them. I then found out I could use them anyway just by looking at the pictures and guessing what they meant. They are not the most beautiful cards about although there are some variations on the original flat colours used such as the 'universal waite' cards which are brighter, but they are excellent for beginners to learn on because they form a story so that it is easy to remember the meanings of the cards. If you want a book to go with them I recommend the Idiots guide to Tarot and Fortune Telling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but very misleading. These are definitely NOT the "Original" images by PCS., 6 Mar 2014
Looking at the box people think (as I did) that they are getting the Original images by Pamela Coalman Smith from 1909 - they are not. The images on these cards are from an inferior artist who copied them for a 1930's edition. Whoever exactly copied these is unknown but they are only a poor approximation of the work by PCS with most of the fine details either missing or badly copied.

Having said that the card quality is good and robust with a plastic coating to stop the ink running. I love using these but only give them Three Stars because of the misleading sales pitch by the creator of this Tarot card set.
If you are looking for a more faithful set then the R.W Giant Size Edition is a much better approximation.

2.0 out of 5 stars great classic, poorly printed, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
I ordered a set of these cards to learn more about the tarot. The print was so heavy in this edition that it obscured some of the details, looked smudged and was overall very dark coloured. The plus side was that the cardstock was quite thick, the whole pack handled nicely and would stand up to a fair bit of use. I returned these and ordered the Universal to use as a learning tool instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple is better, 14 Aug 2006
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
These are my favourite tarots cards. I had a pack before which was very beautiful and intricately detailed, but something never felt quite right about them. I spent a lot of time looking into the hundreds of different packs available before making my choice, but decided to go for basics and I'm really happy I did. I feel really comfortable with these cards and though some might complain about the colours, I actually like the colours. I find alot of packs too bright and distracting and I find this pack to be nice and subtle, it makes for a much more intuitive reading I find. I also like the size of the cards because my last pack was jumbo size and hard to shuffle.

The book that comes with it is not very useful, but the box & packaging are really nice. I recommend getting a book such as "Learning the Tarot" if you need help with the meanings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first deck I ever used., 13 May 2001
adam@new-tech.fsnet.co.uk (The Wescountry, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
It was over five years ago when I bought the Rider-Waite Tarot. Although it is not my deck of choice presently I believe they constituted a pretty good 'initiation'. They were first made available to the public in 1910. At the time they instigated a revolution of sorts. They were one of the first decks to employ a 'story telling' Minor Arcana; that is not just geometric arrangements of the pantacles, swords, cups and wands but involved and dramatic scenes with landscapes, people and occult symbolism. They are the deck of choice amongst many, especially beginners. I can vouch that they are 'user friendly'. They are also one of the few decks available in many nationwide high street stores. In my experience a great deal of starter books on the Tarot employ them as illustrations, as well as other early decks using them as the model. One can also obtain many different sizes and colourings of the original. We are all aware of the 'Tarot renaissance' of the last two decades - if you want to see the root of all this then buy the Rider-Waite.

5.0 out of 5 stars r s woodley, 22 April 2009
Rebecca Woodley "r s woodley" (somerset uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
the original rider waite tarot deck are fantastic to say the least..the colours are superb.. the images are very eye catching..and the enclosed booklet is very easy to understand.. when you are new to the craft..these wondreful cards are truly ideal for beginers who are just starting out for the first time learning about the tarot.. i highly recomend these cards, as they do help you to descover your own and others life journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive tarot deck 10/10, 4 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
There never has been and there never will be a deck as good as this! I feel that the artist channelled these and they contain all the magic and answers you will ever need to learn tarot. I always teach people using these cards. love them or hate them they are the definitive tarot.I also use the Morgan Greer and if you are into numerology the Thoth is for you BUT there is only one Rider and it has been around so long for a very good reason, it is special!I taught Jane Goldman the tarot in her series Jane Goldman investigates and she got it straight away. I also use them in my dvd Tarot made easy.

The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck
The Original Rider Waite Tarot Deck by Arthur Edward Waite (Cards - 10 Jun 1999)