5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read
Katie Fforde has mastered the art of writing novels that, while wildly improbable, are so loaded with charm that the reader ceases to care that the sequence of events is so unlikely. Highland Fling is no exception.
Published on 23 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant
Highland Fling was the first of Katie Fforde's stories that I have read and so I have no comparison to make against her previous novels. However, I found this book to be well written and a fun read.
Published on 20 Aug 2003 by josie82

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 23 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Highland Fling (Hardcover)
Our heroine takes on superhero status as she transforms an industry and enables the various personalities surrounding her to turn their lives around and become better people, even as she becomes more assertive and vigorous in perceiving and furthering her own best chance for a happy future. As with the other novels, the plot, while enjoyable, is more than equalled by the skill of Ms Fforde's characterizations. In Highland Fling, as in her other works, the reader suspends her disbelief in the engrossing tale that unfolds as everyone finds where their hearts lie.
Ms Fforde's novels are light reading, but never try to be anything else. As an American completely in love with Scotland, I was delighted with the journey to Scotland that this book allowed me to take.
One minor complaint: the number of typographical errors in this book was truly astounding. Words were frequently in the wrong order or omitted altogether. Perhaps a better copy editing job should be done for future printings. Ms Fforde deserves better!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant, 20 Aug 2003
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Highland Fling (Paperback)
I thought the characters to be both likeable and realistic and felt that the interacted well with each other throughout the story. The hero was someone any girl would love to fall in love with - a mixture of both dedicated businessman and rugged, handsome mountainman, while the heroine was feisty yet kind - a nice normal girl. The plot of saving the mill was also interesting and new, and luckily the author didn't weigh the book down with over-the-top detail about mills in general!
I did however have a few problems with the book. Firstly I did find that the 2 main characters didn't have enough interaction for me to truly believe that they had fallen in love with each other. Secondly, I was very disappointed that the story was wrapped up so quickly. It was as if the author had decided on a page limit and as it was fast approaching decided to conclude everything in one fell swoop. Everything was finished off so conveniently that it did feel that the characters became contrived in order to get to the end of the book.
Despite these points I did find the book a fun and light read which I would recommend it for reading on a holiday or just to pass a few hours.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost the plot, 15 Jun 2003
This review is from: Highland Fling (Paperback)
This book is not up to Katie Fforde's usual standards. "Highland Fling" is more Mills and Boon than Fforde. The book seems fragmented and contrived, the storyline limps along with characters who have few redeeming features. The concept of saving a mill from closure lacks research and credibility, as does the idea of a stranger arriving who immediately takes over the local catering van and becomes godmother to the owner's first child. That's when the main protagonist isn't rushing off to check her many emails.

"Highland Fling" lacks the style of "Living Dangerously" and "The Rose Revived" and doesn't deliver the same reading pleasure.

They always say that, as a writer, you should write about what you know. Writing about a struggling mill does not seem to be Ms Fforde's forte. We need the well rounded characters like Polly and May and delicious hunky men like David and Hugh. We need more classic Katie Fforde and less Mills and Boon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cosy read, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Highland Fling (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy Katie Fforde books so when I saw this in my local bookshop at a bargain price I couldn't resist.

The pace was comfortable and I quickly fell into the storyline, not wanting to put the book down. Unfortunately this did take me rather a long time to read but it wasn't at all because of the book - I had so much going on in my real life that I just didn't have time to sit and read as much as usual .

Jenny was a sweet character who seemed unable to say no to people but I loved how feisty she became whenever Ross was around, he really brought out the worst in her but they definitely had an exciting spark. Ross was one of those powerful male characters who didn't say much, but didn't need to because he was so confident and sexy. He had a mysterious side and I got the feeling that he was keeping something from Jenny.

I actually felt nervous when Jenny was meeting Lady Dalmain for the first time, her daughter-in-law called her `the matriarch' so I envisioned a scary woman who took no prisoners. I was, in fact, fascinated by her traditional values and old-fashioned ways.

As the book progressed there were many hurdles to cross and it was all systems go, Jenny worked very hard but often found herself distracted by her love life and it was at those times she seemed to struggle to hold it all together. Personally I was hoping that the inevitable would happen and she would succumb to her feelings.

There were a few moments that were particularly enjoyable for me - Jenny's first meeting with her virtual boss, a hectic dinner party, a tense business meeting and a snowy walk that ended up hotter than it should have been!

This was a cosy read with a lovely ending, a perfect snuggle on the sofa book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 12 May 2011
This review is from: Highland Fling (Paperback)
this is the first of Katie Ffordes books I have read and I really enjoyed it, light hearted, great story line and good ending!! would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars My 1st Katie Fforde read was brill!!, 11 Jun 2004
K. Ward - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highland Fling (Paperback)
This is the first Katie Fforde book i have read and it kept me hooked from cover to cover!!
I do although agree with another person who has written a review, that the two characters who "fall in love" didn't have as much interaction as you would expect, but this didn't seem vital for me whilst reading the book. I found it enlightening and brought a smile to my face. Well worth a good read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful book fom Katie Fforde, 17 Jun 2002
This review is from: Highland Fling (Paperback)
We join our heroine on a journey to Scotland, though she's not at all sure she ought to be going. As a Virtual Assistant her brief is clear cut, as a human being she can't help finding her feelings on boundaries are rather blurred.
Her boyfriend would be really cross if he knew what she'd taken on now, but as he's back in the South of England there's no need for him to know anything about it. Is there?
This wonderfully amusing story, with beautifully drawn characters, makes a compelling read. If you haven't already discovered Katie's books - then start here, and make sure you catch up! And if you already know and love her books, then this is yet another to enchant you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Chick Lit book, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Highland Fling (Kindle Edition)
I love this book and I have read it several times.

The book is a nice and easy read, nothing complicated or difficult about the book. The book starts of with the main Caracter going to Scotland as on a job for her Boss which she have never meet as she is a Virtual Assistance. She goes to Scotland to see to one of his businesses and to report back as to what is going on. When she arrives at the place she warms to the people and suddently get involved in saving the business instead of just reporting back that best option is to close down the Business.

She becomes very friendly with some of the locals and also helps out in a "cafe" on wheels, which is not appreciated by some of the family she is staying with as they think of them selves as Posh.

She is in a relation ship when she goes to Scotland, however, she starts questioning if it is the right one when she starts thinking of another man.

The story is funny and laughable, the people and situations the main caracter suddently is in, are described so well that you can imagine very well what is going on. The book is written in Katies usual relaxed style and there is funny sides to all the caracters but also they are described so we can imagine them.

What I love about the book is that it doesn't require any thinking it is just a lovely relaxed story and nothing complicated. At times it is predictable however this in my opinion is what I want of a Chick lit story. I want to be able to imagine and just enjoy the story, I want to be able to put away the book and come straight back into it again no matter if I'm tired/travelling or on a bus or train.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highland Fling, 15 Jun 2010
This review is from: Highland Fling (Paperback)
I have read a few Katie Fforde books now and I did enjoy this but it's not my favorite compared to A Perfect Proposal and Going Dutch.

Jenny has been sent to Scotland (she is a virtual assistant, so people can hire her without her meeting them),to sort out a textile mill that is having a bit of finanical trouble.She stays with the family that own the mill. She makes very good friends with some of the family and when she sees how much trouble the mill is in and that most of the village work there she takes it upon herself to save it from closing down.

Jenny also helps the family with there tea bar, she ends up serving a very rude customer but little does she know that it is the man who hired her and she has to deal with him a lot more then she wants too.

As with all Katie Fforde books there are twists and turns. You also get the feeling that you are there. When you have read a few of her books you sort of know which way the story is heading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done Katie!, 18 Jun 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Highland Fling (Paperback)
Katie Fforde delivers another winning novel with Highland Fling. Fforde has the knack for matching the right protagonist for each unusual situation she dreams up. In this case, Jenny is a virtual assistant. Jenny has been sent to Scotland by her (unseen) client to investigate the viability of a textile mill that he has a significant financial interest in. I've no doubt that such individuals exist, but I wonder if one would be sent on a mission such as this in real life? But the wonder of Fforde is that she manages to make all of this believable (and does so with almost all of her books) and provides the reader with a fun peek at some unusual walks of life. In this case, it's not just virtual assistants, but textile mills, aging (and a bit dotty) aristocracy, llamas and alpacas, felt-making, food stand operation, snow holes - well, you get my point. This books works so very well because Katie sticks to what she does best - women who are gentle but strong, who need to learn to find their own way - and usually find a nice man to share that path (once they've figured themselves out.) The supporting characters are fabulous in this one, as well. Ross is one of the most appealing male characters she's written in a while, you get a feel for his compassion under his gruff exterior. Highland Fling stands out as one of her best novels to date (although she's written quite a few very good ones).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa9d12600)

Highland Fling
Highland Fling by Katie Fforde (Paperback - 6 Jun 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01