5.0 out of 5 stars This book is emotionally deep in a way I have not met
Published on 5 Dec 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Academic study book
It does what it says in the title but does show some of the limitations of research in different communities.
Published 10 months ago by Bangerman

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is emotionally deep in a way I have not met, 5 Dec 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: How We Lived Then: History of Everyday Life During the Second World War, A: A History of Everyday Life During the Second World War (Paperback)
before in books about civilians in WW2. The accounts supplied by ordinary people are so poignant I cannot read them aloud to my husband without crying. I was born in 1949 and have always felt I had missed something when people spoke about it. Now I can "experience" it for myself. I have read 3 chapters, and already told my sister about it. She won't want to wait until I have finished it, she is getting one of her own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lived, survived and flourished!, 8 Nov 2012
D. Spark (leeds) - See all my reviews
I read this book some 2 or 3 years ago and found it the most interesting book that i had ever read. Since then i have read many other books but found nothing to compare and having been given a Kindle as a birthday present as soon as I realised that the book was available in this format I was determined to re-read it.
Highly recommended to anyone who either lived through that period or who has the desire to learn what our parents or grandparents went through, this book is a MUST !

5.0 out of 5 stars Still important after all these years...., 9 Aug 2012
I am so pleased this remarkable book is still in print. It is nearly 40 years since I first read the Arrow paperback version which really changed the way I looked at history and opened my eyes to the gems hidden in the Mass Observation archive. 40 years on and I am still an avid reader of social history, but this book and Angus Calder's "The People's War" are what set me on the road, and they have never been bettered. Read this and be transported.....!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and full of fascinating detail, 23 Feb 2012
My parents lived through the Second World War but I knew little of their lives then. This book fills in the details and answers for the questions that I never asked. It is a story of the lives of ordinary folk trying to survive on a day to day basis, with little money, resources and no knowledge of where their loved ones were. Looking at the references, Norman Longmate has undertaken a huge task and created a valuable resource for the lay reader and the historian alike.An increasingly important record as the remaining survivors of the war begin to decline.

5.0 out of 5 stars How We Lived Then, 7 Oct 2011
This book is useful for students or those with an interest in the past. In brings years now gone to life for those who live now; through its pages we can see the effects, socially, politically and personally, of war and the changes war and its associate sciences and attitudes brought.

4.0 out of 5 stars How we lived, 15 Oct 2012
A great read this Book is full of information about the time of the Second World War would certainly recomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Memories, 30 April 2011
A book that brings back events and people that I had forgotten, being a book about all the things that effected the little people in their daily struggles, it brings back the uncertain feeling that we all faced, rumours travelled quickly which didnt help. My family consisted of my parents and six children, how my Mother managed to feed us all was a mystery. My brother was called up to the RAF, one sister to a factory making shells, another sister went into the Land Army so this was just a normal wartime family. I lived in a British Legion House on a small estate of 16 houses all residents were allocated a house on the basis of being disabled or widowed through injuries received through serving in the First World War, they must have all wondered what was required to be done to keep the peace!!

4.0 out of 5 stars How we lived then, 18 Feb 2014
For anyone like myself who loves reading about life in the war will enjoy this book, but I did find myself skipping quite a few pages which were not of interest to me. I would have preferred more detail on people's actual lives rather than just snippets but that is the nature of the book, enjoyable none the less and I learned things I had not previously heard about so a bit of an eye opener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting recollections for those who experienced World War II, 30 Aug 2013
Been reading this to my elderly mother who has lived through both World Wars (just); she is very much enjoying the descriptions of the life of civilians during WWII. As the book is specifically using first hand reports of people who actually experienced the events it gives a really good record of life for the average household.
I would recommend this book for anyone interested in stories of real people, for schools studying is period and perhaps particularly for those who lived through the War and can relate to the recollections.

5.0 out of 5 stars How We Lived Then, 28 Jun 2010
I have found the book to be extreamly informative. But written in a story type of way instead of just presenting the bare facts. Anyone interested in family History will find this very entertaining and usefull.