on 19 November 2010
I obtained the 1974 hardback from the book sale room of the local library, the same, in fact, from which I'd gotten my The Second World War set. People seem to take pity on me when I express my admiration for Churchill, not many Americans paying him his due. Some are even oblivious to his ever existing, such is modern education.

This book certainly satisfies my curiosity, as I am stranded in a, it seems, heathen land. It simply brims with photos covering his political career, and at the same time doesn't neglect more personal moments. I was impressed by a photograph of his painting a scene in Marrakesh while taking a break from writing TSWW. And if I so desire, I might extract the rather large picture of Lady Randolph to put up on my wall.

Too, the captions more than describe what is being viewed; often there is a lengthy and applicable quote. I'll not go on about it but just to say that, having it now to go along with Churchill's writings, I will be in a far better position than I had been just imagining, say, what Downing Street looked like in 1925, or what Churchill was wearing as he stood on it.
on 6 October 2010
Ordered this book after a recent visit to Chartwell, wanted a further insight into the man behind the history. Was going to purchase this book at the National Trust shop at Chartwell, but as it was raining, i really did not want to ruin a perfectly good hardback. Found the book on amazon, albeit a paperback, but still the one we wanted. The book offers a good pictorial history from birth, childhood, teenage through to the adult we all think we know and love as a figure of modern history.
on 14 November 2008
i had the updated 1988 edition for this book was first realeased in 1974. . this remains the best photodocument on sir winston and my only criticism would be a lack of color pictures . they were perharps few 60 YEARS AGO