5.0 out of 5 stars Great, New Look At The Spirit of Christmas.
An excellent read.
I've read almost all of John's books, and enjoyed most of them. This is a real breath of fresh air.
The humour is subtle, and John really captures the feeling of Christmas.
Published on 4 Feb 2002 by allieb65

2.0 out of 5 stars A real turkey of a book
Published on 26 Jan 2002 by raymond@aldridge66.freeserve.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, New Look At The Spirit of Christmas., 4 Feb 2002
allieb65 (Congleton, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
An excellent read.
The humour is subtle, and John really captures the feeling of Christmas.
Peace, is something the Luther Krank seeks, when he is faced with Christmas, so he decides to "Skip Christmas" completely, but, in a very entertaining chain of events he slowly realises that Christmas isn't just about tinsel, candles, presents, lights, fixtures, fittings and big bank balances, and that there is far more than that involved. A simple phone call completely turns his plans upside down, and he finds himself at the "mercy" of those he was avoiding.
I read this book, "post Christmas" and found I could really relate to some of the feelings conveyed.
A VERY GOOD READ!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful!!, 23 Mar 2006
I have to say that this must be one of my favourite books. It is so easy to read and the main characters come alive, with all their weaknesses and silliness. You can't help smiling at some of the incidents and the twist in the tale ...... well, it takes your breath away!
Brilliant as a present, but buy it first for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, must be read before Christmas!!, 14 Nov 2001
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
This is a very different story for John Grisham. Must be read before Christmas. I really enjoyed this book, it made me laugh and the story has stayed in my mind long after finishing the book. A very good read, I highly recommend it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars What Christmas Is All About...Unfortunately, 6 Sep 2003
Mr. D. J. Moody "davemoody2" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
In a good way this book makes you cringe. Why? Because we have all been there at CHristmas time. The stress of the planning,the cost of it all. So as we have all thought at times, the characters in this book decide to escape and instead of spending all their hard earned money on gifts and food decide to escape on a cruise. The cringe moments come when the whole street is decorating their houses and theirs is the only one without so much as a bit of tinsel. It is typical of how we are always looking at what the neighbours are doing and what they will think fi we dont celebrate Christmas the traditional way. The pressure is piled on to them to conform and as the stress levels increase as a reader the scenes that are set become more hilarious. Defenitely worth a read and a good diversion from the heavy legal bound usual writings.

2.0 out of 5 stars A real turkey of a book, 26 Jan 2002
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
I bought this on the back of all other John Grisham novels, however, I have noticed that his plots are becomming a little tired!. This was one my holiday reading material over christmas and quite frankly I could not believe it was written by the same man who bought us The partner, A time to kill and The Firm. Its a daft story and an even dafter ending. I will wait for reviews on his new book before I buy any more of his novels, because his last three books leave alot to be desired. I think this guy has lost the plot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic feel-good Christmas read, 26 July 2005
By A Customer
Skipping Christmas is a wonderful little book to get you in the holiday spirit. It offers a comical and also cynical glimpse into the stress of the run up to Christmas. Throughout the book you will laugh out load then shed a tear at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here's one I made earlier..., 15 Mar 2007
David Carter "David Carter - Author of The Fi... (Christchurch, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
Someone bought this for me a few years ago as a Christmas present and as so often happens, I put it to one side to read later. I've just finished it, and I'm glad I did.

Skipping Christmas follows the fortunes of Luther Krank and his wife Nora. Their daughter Blair has gone off to Peru to do voluntary service and with Christmas approaching, Luther has a brainwave. They will skip Christmas this year, save the money, and hasten off on a Caribbean cruise. (I confess I have often thought the same!) He dashes downstairs, fires up the computer and stares at his spreadsheets. Christmas last year cost him a whopping $6,100, heck a top line cruise for two costs only $5,000! They will skip Christmas and cruise the seas, and already Luther Krank can see string bikini clad tanned girls everywhere.

But nothing is ever as straight forward as that. This is a short novel by Mister Grisham's standards, indeed by anyone's standards, being only 178 pages and small pages at that. It is almost as if this is a throwaway one "he made earlier" when he had nothing better to do, but that would be unfair. I read it in a weekend. The writing is crisp; the dialogue spot on, and as in all of Grisham's books, the narrative is delivered very much tongue in cheek, through his unmistakeable dry wit.

For me, this wit has never been successfully reproduced in the accompanying Grisham adapted movies, resulting in the books, almost invariably, being considerably better than the films. This book made me laugh out loud several times, and anything that can do that, makes it money well spent. I liked it a lot, and hope you will too.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Grisham Lite" hits the spot, 13 Jan 2003
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
This is great fun. Grisham really isn't trying too hard as he points the finger at the excesses and social paranoia that dominate Christmas. It's an enjoyable read that is little more than a long short story. Grisham's well practiced, easy style, zips along at a comfortable pace with some neat, wry observations about suburban behaviours. Read it and then give to friends to read next year.
One small gripe - Grisham loses his nerve and goes for the Disney ending when something a little more Grimm would have been far more satisfying. Shame.

2.0 out of 5 stars What was that?!, 6 Jan 2002
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
After enjoying many of Grisham's other books, I found this a great disappointment. Maybe some great literary accomplishment WAS there and just went completely over my head, but I kept reading with the feeling that things were so boring something exciting must happen soon, and then it never did. I must admit that right at the end things did pick up to a hilarious climax which was somewhat of a relief, but the rest... I just got the feeling that the whole story was pretty pointless and unsatisfying. Then again I am British and therefore may have missed out on the American neighbourhood clichés that may have been there. In short, I don't reccomend this. Go and buy some of Grisham's other stuff; it'll do a much better job of making you heart race!

3.0 out of 5 stars somewhat disappointing, 23 Dec 2001
This review is from: Skipping Christmas (Hardcover)
Sorry to say that I didn't really enjoy this. I am such a fan of Grisham, and did enjoy painted house. But Skipping Christmas was a let down. It was too simple, too twee, and I found it difficult to keep my interest and read through to the end. It read like a long short story.

Skipping Christmas
Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (Hardcover - 8 Nov 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01