5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous tarot set ideal for beginners
Published on 9 July 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Tarot Set Considers Themes From Classical Mythology
This was the 3rd of my 7 (so far) decks.

Published on 12 April 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous tarot set ideal for beginners, 9 July 2002
This review is from: The Mythic Tarot (Hardcover)
This tarot set would make an ideal gift for the beginner. The illustrations on the cards are beautiful and the cards are accompanied with a black silk cloth. The cloth has the Celtic cross spread marked on it which will help beginners when they first come to lay out their cards. The book accompanying the set is very interesting and clearly explains the meaning behind each of the cards. I would recommend this set to anyone with an interest in the tarot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning, 10 Jan 2011
Amazon Customer (Oldham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mythic Tarot (Hardcover)
I have owned a set of these for about 6 years now and they are without a doubt my favourite set out of 11 that I own.

I love that the minor arcana card meanings are linked to various stories from Greek mythology. If you know the stories you will understand the cards very quickly, and if you don't it is so much fun to learn the stories behind the cards. I struggled with the minor arcana before using this set.

The major arcana cards also have imagery on them that tells a story from Greek Mythology and are beautiful to look at. The illustrations are one of the best I have seen on a set of Tarot cards.

These would make an excellent beginners set of cards, or would be a good addition to a collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tarot Set Considers Themes From Classical Mythology, 12 April 1998
By A Customer
This was the 3rd of my 7 (so far) decks.

I bought this deck in the set with the book and 'silky' reading cloth. The illustrations are colorful and competently done. In each suit one myth unfolds in the cards. Cups 'considers' the myth of Eros and Psyche; Wands, Jason and the Golden Fleece; Swords, Orestes and the Curse of the House of Atreus; and Pentacles, Daedalus. Each myth is matched to the essential meaning of its suit. The major arcana are represented by the gods.

Things I liked about the deck: I am interested in, and have studied Greek and Roman mythology, so I was drawn to this deck. Because the suits correspond to an unfolding story (the myth), the individiual cards may be easier to learn and develop your own interpretation for. The book that comes with it provides good information on interpretation and background of the cards. In addition, it gives unique information--this is one of the only decks I've seen that is NOT published by US Games, so you don't get a sense of deja vou when you read the book. The elegant simplicity of the illustrations does not detract from the complexity of the subject matter.

Things I don't like: Although the illustrations are colorful, I find them somehow drab and dark. While the figures in each illustration are detailed, there is not as much overall detail as in some decks (like Tarot of a Moon Garden, or Cat People Tarot). The cards are not as sturdy or heavy as most decks I've handled, and feel a bit flimsy. The 'silky' cloth is a piece of strech polyester (unhemmed) with the Celtic Cross patern stamped on it.

While this is not among my favorite decks, I do not regret owning it, and it only suffers in comparison to other decks that suit me better. I would recommend it to people who enjoy Classical Mythology, and would like a unique, stunning deck. My best friend likes the deck more than I do, and she has great taste. As with any deck, I would suggest getting it with the companion book.

My favorite deck is the Aquarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to understand for first time readers, 3 Mar 1998
By A Customer
The Mythic Tarot is an easy to understand way to begin to do tarot readings for yourself and others. It is an intuitive look at tarot which explores the cards through the use of mythology. The illustrations in both the deck and the book make the journey through the cards a pleasurable trip indeed. This is a deck you will use for years to come. Kathy Ritondo

5.0 out of 5 stars A great linking of tarot and Greek mythology, 29 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Mythic Tarot (Hardcover)
If you are interested in the tarot and Greek mythology, then this is a deck you most definitely should have. If you are familiar with Greek myths it is also an ideal place to start learning the tarot and is as such a brilliant starter's deck.

The reason for this is that Sharman-Burke combines various myths with the suits and arcana of the tarot. For example the Hierophant is depicted as Chiron the centaur, one of the great teachers of knowledge in mythology, who taught Achilles and Odysseus among others. The suits tell the story of four different myths, the separate cards showing important stages and illustrating the meaning of that card of the minor arcane. For example cups illustrate the myth of Eros and Psyche through the numbers one to ten, each card marking an important stage (cup four for example is when Eros leaves Psyche after she has broken her promise and found out who he is). This system works well and makes it easier to remember what each cards represents (I will now never forget the divinatory meaning of the star, a card I have always had difficulties with, which here is an illustration of hope fluttering above Pandora's box).

As helpful and good as the system is, it does have its flaws and some pairings of myth and card seem rather forced (e.g. the tower) or some vital stages of the myths in the suits left out and less important ones emphasised to fit the meanings of the minor arcana. Other truly minor quibbles I have is that the illustrations seem rather wooden at times and that there is no box to keep the cards in.

The cards come with an explanatory book which is very detailed and informative for any tarot deck, but explains the mythic tarot brilliantly. The book alone is well worth having.

All in all this is a tarot deck I thoroughly recommend. I have used it for readings and found it to be easy to use, but very profound too. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite cards ever!, 19 Oct 2004
Miss J Powell (london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Over the years I have bought & used many decks,but the Mythic Tarot remain my firm favourites.These cards are great for beginners & advanced taroists alike,the imagery is fabulous.Every time I use them for readings something different "jumps out" of these cards,they literally tell you what they mean.
I would thoroughly recommend them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 13 Feb 2014
Great book for the Tarot enthusiastic. I bought this for a dirty cheap price as a gift for my ex who is mad on this stuff. I'm pleased to say it did the trick! One very happy ex! And the cards used in the book match my deck which he gifted several years ago which is quite nice. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Mythic Tarot (Hardcover)
A sensitive explanation of the Tarot pack that goes well with a Jungian interpretation of psychology. I take seriously the summaries of the different cards and find it particularly useful in conjunction with the book called THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF BIRTHDAYS - the red edition, which others have also said seems better than the later ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed with quality, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Mythic Tarot (Hardcover)
Received these cards in very quick time. Considering they were supposed to be second hand, it came untouched and with the original packaging. I was very impressed. I've ordered another one because I can't seem to find it anywhere else this cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Usefully thought out beginners Tarot., 6 Feb 2012
I bought this book for someone recently, because years ago when I first became interested in Tarot I found most books fairly unhelpful, whereas this book helped me become more aware of aspects of myself, and helped me with Tarot, so it was an instinct to buy it for someone else.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Mythic Tarot
The Mythic Tarot by Liz Greene (Paperback - 9 Oct 1986)
Used & New from: 0.01