Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 July 2002
Thich Nhat Hanh, a Buddhist monk, writes with gentle compassion on how to care for the anger which is within all of us, and transform its negative energy into positive energy. His guidance on breathing, walking and acting 'mindfully', with stillness and concentration, is the most clear and helpful I've ever read.
And this book is not relevant to anger alone. I have long been unsuccessfully fighting the craving to overeat - and found that when I simply noticed the craving lovingly and non-judgmentally, it lost its hold over me.
For anyone who has wrestled unsuccessfully with anger and its consequences, I recommend this compassionate, practical book with all my heart.
11 comment| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2007
I am skeptical of most "self-help" books as I believe in most cases the author has an ulterior motive or that the book has been constructed on a flawed and potentially damaging basis (such as pure "positive thinking"). However, this is different.

On first opening "Anger..." I read half of it without being able to put it down. I didn't even buy the book for me, rather because I thought it might help a friend.

This book is not just about anger in terms of shouting or saying hurtful things. It encompasses so much more and may help you recognise hidden anger in yourself and others, and as importantly, help you take positive steps to address it.

Read past the first part about "consuming anger" and don't let it put you off. TNH gives advice in straightforward terms and it is clear that what he says is what he believes and what he lives.

This is not a quick-fix. You can put the principles into practice straight away but it will take months or more (well-spent) to really understand.

This book has excited me enough to take action. I hope it inspires you.
on 15 October 2004
If anger flares up in you and you have no technique for dealing with it, other than punishing yourself and others, then this book is for you. Bhuddist psychology is not quackery or pseudo-science, it's practicle and applicable to everyday life. I have met the author, and he genuinely lives the life that he recommends to you - a life of love and compassion for yourself and others.
By the end of this book I saw the suffering that I have caused myself and loved ones through my anger, and the futility of holding onto it with righteous pride. Anger is suffering, there is no nobility in it, just pain, and this book teaches you not to combat anger with yet more hatred and self loathing, but to transform it with wisdom and compassion.
33 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2005
This is a fantastic book that i'd recomend to anyone whether they are a buddhist or not. It offers simple yet specific methods for dealing with anger but other emotions too. It states that there are also many ways to meditate including, walking, whilst eating, or sitting and even whilst laying down. It also states that if one is angry with someone who's burned down their house you don't go and chase the arsonist you try to save your house... if you are angry you should tell someone about it within 24 hours. I didn't do this last year and ended up getting violent with someone as a result so this sort of wisdom was very helpful.
on 26 June 2006
I've just finished reading this excellent book and would whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone who ever feels angry. It's particularly helpful for couples and estranged families who wish to rekindle their love.

It's simple to follow, not at all specific to Buddhists and is really very practical. Thich Nhat Hanh shows how becoming aware of our anger when it arises can help us to "look after our anger" and lead us to develop understanding. (From a Buddhist perspective all suffering has it's roots in ignorance.)

The book is full of excellent suggestions on how to work on relationships, teaching 'compassionate listening' and suggesting ways to talk through your suffering. Because what is anger, but a form of suffering?
VINE VOICEon 6 July 2008
The techniques and philosophy described in this book are magical. Not only does it help you soothe your anger, it teaches you to embrace it, as you would a crying child. It does not treat anger as something to be 'purged' from your system,for example by punching a pillow. It is something to be gently looked after and understood. I often use the meditation techniques described when I am feeling angry, and every time they have been helpful, and I have gained insight into myself and the situation. I have also stopped being angry with myself for being angry, as reading this book has made me realise that to be angry is not 'wrong'. I had also never thought of anger as suffering, but it is; reading this book helps you see the true nature of your anger.
on 12 June 2009
You can't just say something and coin it as truth. But these words resonated deep within me just on reading it for the first time. It instantaneously changed some of my habits for life. It just feels so right. Incredibly gentle and thoughtfull book.
on 31 May 2016
Mumbo jumbo aside, this book is a real gem. I'm dipping in to it as I need to. A lifesaver so to speak. He speaks to emotions with his metaphors with skill.

As with anything, the wiseman will pick and choose what works and what doesn't for him. Then bit telling me I'm angry because I eat meat was the worst mumbo jumbo, though only a third through.
"When we eat the flesh of an animal with mad cow disease, anger is there in the meat. But we must also look at the other kinds of food that we eat. When we eat an egg or a chicken, we know that the egg or chicken can also contain a lot of anger. We are eating anger, and therefore we express anger."
on 28 June 2009
This book's appeal and power lie as much in the way it is written as in its content. It is extremely thought-provoking, pragmatic and easy to read; I find that even reading a few paragraphs in bed will help centre my mind on the present throughout the following day, and thus make daily trials far easier to deal with.

Simply put, like Thich Naht Hahn's other work, I can't recommend it enough.
on 9 April 2010
I read this book in order to come in touch with myself and emotion that has been with for a long time.
This book is thorough, simple to read, but could be more concise.
Author repeats it self in many sentences. However that might be a point. By repeating practice and embracing (not refusing) feelings, you can truly achieve your greatness and piece with people you love and take care of.