Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 August 2001
Sue Tompkins' classic on planetary aspects is back in print. It's a worthwhile, highly readable examination of planetary combinations (eg. Sun-Jupiter, Moon-Saturn) as well as a comprehensive study of the actual aspects (conjunction, square etc.). I particularly liked the information on the angles, the keywords that introduce us to each planetary combination, as well as Tompkins' ability to present qualitative research, based on her many case studies, in a practical, matter-of-fact way.
on 3 July 2008
I do not profess to be anything but an inexperienced person in this field, with only a basic knowledge of my own Aspects. A basic knowledge of one's own chart is inevitably needed in order to make full use of this book and if you have access to your natal chart you will reap wonders from the information in it. In my opinion, having read various books on astrology, this had the most meaning for me (probably because I have umpteen aspects in my astrological chart!)- so much of what she writes is true! Not only accurate but she has a way of putting a positive spin on the negativities associated with certain Aspects. I love this book more than any I have (and I have quite a few including Sasportas, The Twelve Houses) as it imbues me with optimism far more than any book on the subject has done. In my opinion this book is a necessity. I think it's the best yet!
on 19 September 2007
I love this book: its depth and insight. In terms of analysing planetary combinations, there is absolutely no other book on the market that compares to this. I bought a new copy of this recently along with the author's new book, The Contemporary Astrologer's Handbook, which is a complete guide to chart interpretation, and I recommend both to fellow astrologers and students.
on 18 June 2016
I have to disagree with most reviewers. I have been a student of astrology for many years and always find it astonishing that so few astrologers understand the importance of the waxing and waning part of the archetypal lunation cycle, it is the key to the evolution of consciousness through the world of forces and energies represented by the signs, houses, and planets. I admit that it is not an easy task as we don't have many serious and inspiring materials to chew on apart from Dane Rudhyar who can be a bit abstra​ct but it is nevertheless essential and no astrologer can be forgiven for bypassing such an essential concept. On another note, Sue Tompkins uses expressions like "the Moon-Saturn person", "the Sun-Jupiter person", that does not mean anything at all, every individual, at birth, is at a particular point of a Moon-Saturn cycle, of a Sun-Jupiter cycle etc... It just illustrates again a lack of perspective. I would not recommend that book if you are serious about understanding the true meaning of aspects in Astrology, starts instead with https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASTROLOGICAL-ASPECTS-Process-Oriented-Approach/dp/0943358000
on 25 August 2001
The beauty of this book is that it is so obviously based on the writer's own experience and that somehow you just trust what she says. As a beginner, I found it very accessible but imagine it will still be useful when I am more experienced.
VINE VOICEon 10 November 2012
As the astrological author of How to Survive a Pisces a series of Sun sign books, I know how important making your ideas clear to understand is.
Sue manages well to bring across what can be a difficult subject for a beginner.

In this comprehensive book she covers all the planets and their energies, how we divide the circle of a chart, then the names of all the angles between those planets.

So we get to learn about the conjunction (together) trine (120 degrees apart), opposition (as the name suggests) square (90 degrees apart) and sextile (60 degrees apart) and also the lesser aspects of quincunx, semi-square, semi-sextile and the awful sounding sesquiquadrate....don't be put off by the weird sounding names or think you have to understand any math/s.

You can rely on Sue's book to clearly explain, as she goes along what all these bits and bobs mean.

The most helpful chapter is 'Interpreting Aspects in Practice' as without some 'real life' examples, reading can be dry. So we get to work with the chart of Margaret Thatcher.

Then to make life even easier, she lists 'cookbook' style all the aspects that you can have between all the planets in your chart.
On page 97, she explains about the Sun being 'square' to the Moon: 'The individual usually has to work very hard to achieve real emotional security in life and a real sense of who they are'....as this is in my chart, I know how that feels!

Having it validated by someone I barely know, makes Astrology such a crazily accurate experience, and one that makes you realise it's not mere make believe. This is real-life!!

Great book, can't fault it in any way. if you're new to Astrology and want to learn more about the meanings of the planets in your chart located where they are in your chart and what it all means, with this book you have answers to those questions.
on 21 July 2011
This is a wonderful and illuminating exploration of planetary aspects, giving a deep analysis of what individual configurations might mean in a natal chart, often tracing their background into early developments in a person's childhood. As with many classic astrology texts of the last twenty or thirty years though one wonders if there is not a case for a new edition including Chiron, which has surely earned its place in the astrological pantheon by now.
on 29 June 2015
I purchased this book for self knowledge and improvement and found that the characteristics of the aspects related to me were almost spot on (maybe 90%). In particular my Sun opposite Saturn. I have always felt a fear to be alone or far away from close friends (Saturn) in search of material success and wealth (Sun). I have had many opportunities to work abroad or far from home and have felt fearfull and lazy to act. I have always been a sceptic of astrology but have always kept an open mind. This book has really opened my eyes to the power of astrology.
on 25 May 2011
As a beginner at Astrology, I found this book very helpful interpreting aspects in a natal chart. However, this is not a book for 'skimmimg' through - you need to take your time and read carefully how each aspect applies to each situation. This book encourages the reader to use their own intuition, and come to their own conclusions.
on 11 March 2013
A very simple guide in understanding the deeper aspects of astrology. I would buy from this author again. Brilliant book, well worth the purchase.