5.0 out of 5 stars superb sneak preview into our true life here and over there
Published on 20 Nov. 2006 by Ms. Vanessa Wagstaff

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
just ok
Published 1 month ago by P.Stewart-Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars superb sneak preview into our true life here and over there, 20 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
This is a superb read, you feel like a fly on the wall, reading everyone's actual testimonies into their encounters after an out of body, death experience. Completely fascinating and a valuable insight into our larger existance. Although it's 25 odd years old, it reads as fresh and modern as if it was last week or next month. Experiences involved being out of relativity, in another dimension, spirit helpers talking and guiding you, advice and reasoning on whether to come back or not. A modern classic and stunning read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anecdotes of afterlife experiences, 16 Aug. 2011
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
Life After Life by Raymond Moody, Rider (Random House), 1975, 208 ff.

Anecdotes of afterlife experiences
By Howard Jones

Dr Raymond Moody is an American philosopher and psychologist who has specialised in a study of afterlife experiences. Though he is not suggesting that his work `proves' the existence of a sentient afterlife, Moody's own beliefs on NDEs (a term that he coined in this book), can be summed up with the following quote from his television interview with Jeffrey Mishlove, PhD:
`I don't mind saying that after talking with over a thousand people who have had these experiences, and having experienced many times some of the really baffling and unusual features of these experiences, it has given me great confidence that there is a life after death. As a matter of fact, I must confess to you in all honesty, I have absolutely no doubt, on the basis of what my patients have told me, that they did get a glimpse of the beyond.' [quoted on Wikipedia]

This book describes the experiences of those who have undergone what Moody calls NDEs.
What is both remarkable and reassuring is the similarities of the experiences described by intelligent and often highly educated people: `The people I have interviewed are functional well-balanced personalities . . . very capable of distinguishing dream and fantasy from reality'. Moody is not dealing with people seeking to build a reputation on sensationalism in the popular press.

The degree of detail recounted repeatedly by many different people denies the possibility that some of the features - the `bright light', `the journey through the long dark tunnel', `visions of one's own body and those nearby at the time of `death' as seen by an observer', the `welcome by deceased relatives or friends', the `reluctance to return to earthly life', the `sense of tranquillity and oneness of all that is' - could simply be imaginary. These features are also endorsed by spirits who manifest to materialisation mediums.

To qualify these accounts, in Chapter 2 on The Experience of Dying Moody points out that `no two [accounts] are precisely identical'; `no one person . . . reports every single component of the composite experience'; `no one element of the composite experience . . . crops up in every narrative'. Not all people pronounced clinically dead, or whose heart and lungs are stopped for such operations as cardiac bypass surgery (such as myself) report NDEs. But there is at least one patient - Pam Reynolds Lowery - whose brain was also stilled who reported an NDE (not described here but in Michael Sabom's book `Light and Death'). The phenomena are not restricted to any one country or religion.

Accurate description of events going on around the patient after they are clinically dead according to all medical monitors are some of the most convincing and verifiable evidence of the validity of near-death phenomena. Interestingly, patients' description of their spiritual body are very similar to the subtle body (as it is usually called) described by mystics of eastern faiths. It is described as like a misty hologram of the dying individual or their relatives who come to assist their passage.

To me, a rational scientist trained to look for explanations for practical, empirical findings, the stories presented here are highly cohesive, persuasive and reassuring though, like Dr Moody, I have never experienced an NDE or OBE myself.

Dr Howard A. Jones is the author of The Thoughtful Guide to God (2006) and The Tao of Holism (2008), both published by O Books of Winchester, U.K.; and The World as Spirit published by Fairhill Publishing, Whitland, West Wales, 2011.

The Afterlife Revealed: What Happens After We Die
The Articulate Dead: They Brought the Spirit World Alive
The Survival of the Soul
Life Among the Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read about the near death experience, 9 July 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
This is a fascinating read about the near death experience. It is written in a clear way and is suitably scientific as to be credible yet not full of jargon to bog down the general reader. It leaves you contemplating your own mortality, in a positive way, and helps you on your path to leading a richer, fuller life now. It can be read by any religious denomination and will make enlightening reading for many.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. A must read, 29 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
This book is truly brilliant, I love the way Raymond doesnt just go on about his own experiences. It is a truly wonderful collection of many wonderful stories of afterlife. BRILLIANT. A definite book to read if you want to know more about the afterlife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 28 Dec. 2013
DCJ78 (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
Wow! What a FANTASTIC read. This is the 3rd book on this subject that i have read since the passing of my Dad, and this one has been the most helpful - by far! I loved the way it was written, it was straight to the point - giving examples of NDEs right from the start. The previous books i have read (Embraced by the light & Guided by Angels - there are no goodbyes), although enjoyable and quite touching at times, have given alot (probably too much for my liking/that was necessary i.m.o) of background info until it got to the main points of the subject, which i thought was a bit boring at times. I guess that's because this book is more like a study of accounts rather than one of the writer's personal experience. I was pleased to find that the book wasn't heavily related to religion, my other reads sadly left me believing that some some of "Faith" or religious belief was necessary in order to have such wonderful "passing overs". I found the short passage about suicide induced NDE's particularly interesting in comparison to "natural" ones. Although this book didn't dissolve the feeling of loss i have for my Dad - I've since ordered another book that i hope will deal with such issues - it DID reassure me that my Dad's final moments were ones of happiness and joy, not fear and pain. It was so uplifting to read how loved ones that had already passed over were there to welcome him, he had lost his partner a few years ago and to think they have been reunited is just amazing - and it makes me very happy. This book has completely changed my view of my Dad's "death", and i believe it is a stepping stone in dealing with and coping with the grief i feel. A highly recommended read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life after Life: a review by Olga Swan, 14 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
In these days of global economic and environmental gloom, 'Life after Life' by Raymond A. Moody offers a glimmer of light. Although we all know that death is the one certainty in life, this factual book offers us HOPE for the future. From extraordinary descriptions of near-death experiences, those of us who have lost a loved one or are simply interested in the phenomenon of death end the book feeling reassured and calm. Everyone should keep a copy of Dr. Moody's book by the bed - just in case.
Olga Swan

Pensioners in Paradis

5.0 out of 5 stars Irrefutable Evidence? I think so . . . . !, 18 Nov. 2010
D. Pollastri "cheekyberd" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
If you are interested in the possibility of life after death but never heard anything that sounded like plausible evidence, read this book. It's excellent!
If you know someone that is terminally ill who might be scared about what may lie beyond, give them this book - and Raymond Moody's The Light Beyond, which is even better!
If you are grieving the loss of a loved one, another reason to read both. You will feel so much better. Guaranteed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life after death, is it for real?, 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
Among the books on the topic of life after death, this 1975 book "Life After Life" by Raymond Moody is a undoubtedly a better written one. It is an well-organized first person account of near-death experience, based on the interviews of 150 people. At the end of the book, the author offers a number of plausible explanations of the near-death experience. Raymond Moody is better qualified among authors of books of this genre. He is medical doctor and has doctorate degrees in psychology and philosophy. His academic credentials make his writings on the topic of life after death more credible (See Note). Throughout most the book, Moody tries to be neutral, although his leaning in the belief of life after death is apparent. I was an agnostic before I read the book; I remain one afterward, but I become more knowledgeable on the topic. At the end, it is up to the reader to decide whether life after death is for real.

Note: Moody's 1975 book was followed by a torrent of publications on the topic of life after death, many written by authors who claim to be mediums with special psychic ability and can communicate with the dead or authors with minimal qualifications on the topic. I find their writings suspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FANTASTIC, EXCITING AND FASCINATING READ, 1 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
This book is for anybody who has wondered what happens to us when we die. Dr Moody has collected many accounts of near death experiences in which he writes of in a very enjoyable manner. I loved reading this book, it kept me gripped all the way through. I found it phenomenal how all of his patients had experienced similar things such as a tunnel, bright lights, angelic beings or old relatives had appeared to them. It really was a pleasure to read each person's account on what happened to them when they died and how this changed their life for the positive - many patients lose their of death after they have experienced the other side. Get this book if you are curious about the subject and want a good book in which will keep you gripped from page one until the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic and still relevant for today, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
I first read this book in 1979 when I stumbled upon it in a bookshop in Manchester. From first reading, I knew that it would be something that I would return to and read again and again. I've kept a copy of this book all that time and still read it. I've also read many other books on NDEs but, although they describe the results of latest research and knowledge, they don't differ materially from what is being said in Life after Life. This book is an excellent (and still accurate) view of the phenomenon of the NDE and it really can't be beaten. I would thoroughly recommend this book to you.

Life After Life
Life After Life by Raymond A. Moody (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2001)