5.0 out of 5 stars An astounding history: a pleasure to read.
What a book! I don't read much history, so I was not thrilled when a friend gave me London in the Nineteenth Century as a present. I confess I had never heard of Jerry White. I dipped into it for form's sake one Friday evening, and ended up locking myself away for the rest of the weekend until I had read all 600-odd pages. Generally, reading history feels like work:...
Published on 18 Jan. 2007 by K. S. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much information!
Published 20 months ago by G. J. Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 11 Feb. 2011
Mike Hewitt (Warrington UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London In The Nineteenth Century: 'A Human Awful Wonder of God' (Paperback)
This book was magic. The descriptions of London in the 19th century because of the research is outstanding. This is not light reading - it requires commitment but worth every hour spent. The author could so easily have been tempted by many opportunities to describe details but avoided this and produced an objective tale of the great city.
I would highly recommend this book to students of sociology and old codgers like myself who lived in London in their youth! I was able to apply the growth pattern of London to any of of our cities where such studies are not available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly comprehensive, 22 Nov. 2011
Giovanni Antonioni (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having lived in London all my life, this book looked like a very interesting purchase. It is a staggering achievement with a huge amount of information, mostly presented in a lively and readable fashion. I have been amazed at what I've discovered about this city and it has reshaped a lot of my concepts of its history. It's also driven my eagerness to delve deeper into London's past.

I would have given this review 5 stars except that there were a number of passages or chapters in the book that became cumbersome to get through. There seems to be a great attempt to present facts but sometimes it lost its significance and context because of it. Or maybe some chapters didn't hold all that much interest for me, and this book therefore shouldn't be read cover to cover.

Either way, the author has produced a truly astonishing history of nineteenth century London and I would willingly recommend it to the more encyclopaedically-minded lovers of history out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply great, 10 Jan. 2008
Edward T. Hedges (st. leonards-on- sea, east sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A magical trip thru 19th.century London,it does not falter in its quest to paint a picture with words----an ex-London Cabbie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much information!, 4 Sept. 2013
G. J. Marsh (England) - See all my reviews
You can only applaud Jerry White's fine, detailed research in what is a gigantic subject matter, but to be honest I found this book a bit of a slog. The constant bombardment of data and statistics thrown at the reader, seemingly on every page, soon wore me down, and before long I was looking at how much I had left to read. For this reason, although I shall be using it as a very useful reference in future, it didn't quite work for me as an enjoyable narrative read.

5.0 out of 5 stars As if you were there..., 30 Nov. 2012
An excellent account of 19th Century London, its people and its development. Jerry White's writing draws you into the book and actually makes the reader feel as if they are experiencing things as near to first-hand as could be. He describes the boom and bust cycles which happen now and happened then - so building and economic cyclic activity is nothing new to London society. Overall an excellent read if you are into early London development history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Book, 19 Jun. 2013
Mr. M. A. Robbins "granfer" (devon england) - See all my reviews
I read Jerry White's book on the 18th century and enjoyed it very much so I thought I would read this one as well. Although a good read I didn't enjoy it as much. Perhaps I have London History Overload! You have to admire the author for all his research, must have taken ages. I will read the 20th century one when I've recovered from the last two!

4.0 out of 5 stars London in the Nineteenth Century: 'A Human Awful Wonder of God', 29 April 2012
I had my doubts about this book at first because I immediately came across familiar material (probably because I have read many books on this subject), however my doubts were dispelled and for someone engaged in writing a book myself on the so-called practice of Baby Farming in Victorian England i found the care taken researching the subject matter could not be faulted, moreover for the most part I found it very readable and the author is to be commended. One criticism, and the reason why I have given the review 4 stars and not 5 is that I felt the last couple of chapters did not seem to seamlessly flow towards a conclusion. i felt, these final chapters should have been integrated in with the book further back.London In The Nineteenth Century: 'A Human Awful Wonder of God'

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 4 Jun. 2014
An excellent and informative book. Plenty of statistics, which is good for those who are, like myself, using it for research as well as pleasant reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge...., 27 Nov. 2012
I am so impressed by Jerry White's totally absorbing, accessable and fascinating history of 19thC London, how it worked and lived, how it developed, it's laws and lawlessness, traffic, conditions, building, local government or lack of it, it's markets, tenements, entertainment, personalities and seemingly limitless information on every aspect of living in the beautiful and awful city that was London then. So much to read and absorb, and for me born in London but raised elsewhere, it bought a fresh sense of belonging.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was researching family history and learned a great del about the lives my family may have experience ..., 11 April 2015
An awful lot of facts here. I found I had to read it selectively because there was so much to take in. I was researching family history and learned a great del about the lives my family may have experience and the changes that have occurred especially South of the river which was the area that they came from. It also tells a lot about the particular traits and characteristics of Londoners

London In The Nineteenth Century: 'A Human Awful Wonder of God'