Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Learn more

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 October 2012
Compared to today, what must cars have been like to our grandparents back in the far distant time on 1932?

This book reveals that THINGS HAVE NOT CHANGED!

This gem of a book was given to me by my father and I have read it more times than I can remember. It's visual and observational humour remains undimmed over 80 years and the situations described are as pertinant now as they were then.

Discover that advertising really hasn't changed.

Arguing with the map reading wife is a recipe for disaster and that then, as now, the dashboard clock never worked.

Packed with witty cartoons and short stories and articles it is a genuinely laugh-out-loud read and the perfect gift for any motorhead from eight to eighty!
on 29 March 2016
This brought back memories. We had a copy in my family when I was a boy and there were also Fougasse cartoons in Punch. Also there were AA Guides which gave hotel classifications, garages. town populations and details of market days and early closing. As for driving, well there were few if any dual carriageways, and my father who was born in 1906 and never took a driving test, was a rather eccentric driver. He didn't die in a car crash, but some of the Famous Last Words could have been his. Having endured many a lengthy journey, the phrase, "I think it's safe to overtake now" springs to mind.
on 5 May 2014
This is a book that I first read in the 1940s and I had hoped to get a copy in order to relive the enjoyment of motoring in that era when hand signals were the norm and the AA produced a free hardback every year detailing hotels, garages, and early closing days for each town and major village. The Fougasse CARtoons are excellent and the text amusing both reminiscent of the days of Punch. Hey for the open roads of the 40s & 50s.
on 24 November 2013
I had a copy of this years ago, and am delighted to think that it is back in print. Very funny, and so much of it almost plausible. The drawings are delightful. Even if you are "only" a "modern" driver, you'll find that time and time again you've almost been there.
on 19 April 2016
Great to see that this has been reprinted for a whole new generation to enjoy. My dad had the original 1930s edition and we both loved it - and he didn't even drive! Some things have changed, many haven't - especially human nature!
on 6 January 2014
Hard to believe it was written in 1935 - many thanks to the British Museum for re-printing it. A very humorous look on motoring.
on 29 November 2014
Bought as a little thank you gift for a classic car fan. Great fun, good value at under a tenner.
on 6 December 2015
A very funny book.
I started it and could not put it down.
on 15 December 2015
A marvellous read!
on 13 December 2013
Totally honest description of book condition, many thanks. I will be adding it to my collection of period motoring books.