5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining & educational..., 22 May 2012
G. Cowley (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Epicure's Almanack: Eating and Drinking in Regency London: The Original 1815 Guidebook (Hardcover)
No other single book I know of will give its readers a better insight into the food available everyday during this period - and, presumably, the years immediately preceding it.

It is remarkable for several reasons: it was the first of its kind; it is (was) very, very thorough; it gives a clear idea of what was eaten where and by whom; it was not bias to the upper end of the social spectrum.

Add to these factors an esoteric, but pleasant style of writing and you have a fascinating book which can be read in large chinks or small snatches at it suits.

I think it likely that some of the historically adventurous will, in some way or another, start `Rylance bagging' in much the same way as mountain-climbers go `Munro bagging.' Certainly I shall have this book with me whenever I wander around London.

5.0 out of 5 stars marvellous resource!, 21 May 2014
S. J. Waldock "Yorkist" (Ipswich England) - See all my reviews
the original of this book has so much information packed into it, but I have to say it moves from being remarkably useful to being amazingly helpful with the addition of the notes on the part of the editor, whose dedication enables one to really get to grips with the eateries of Regency London, and the markets. I learned a lot, and that's my criterion for a great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars SEE TLS, 30 April 2013
I can't do better than to refer you to the review of the book in the Times Literary Supplement which prompted me to buy the book in the first place.