Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 July 2009
Songs of Garden Birds covers 52 species of birds that are common in UK gardens or attracted to our gardens by bird feeders.

The quality of most of the records is excellent and many species have several different clips covering song variants such as dawn song and alarm calls.

The booklet with the CD contains notes on each species covered on the CD and their relationship to our gardens. I prefer this to narration on the CD so you can focus on listening to the bird song itself.

I bought this collection to improve the number of birds I could identify by their song. The range of calls and quantity on the CD has greatly improved the chances of me identifying a bird by its song.

The only downside of this CD is the range of species covered is a little limited, e.g. two gulls are included but only one owl.

If you want a good audio guide to most of the garden species then this is a good buy, if you are looking for help to identify a specific bird in your garden then the complete set by the same publisher would be a better bet than this garden collection.
on 25 May 2009
What can I say, except what the title of the review says? I would have liked the names of the birds to have been announced as part of the audio, but there we are.
This CD is aimed at aiding identification of birds seen and heard in the garden. The total number of birds recorded is 52, and for most there is a selection of calls, such as for the blackbird where we are offered both dawn and afternoon song and two different alarm calls. The booklet included with the CD explains which are which and offers notes on the circumstances in which less obvious 'garden' birds such as the Reed Bunting, Tawny Owl or Canada Goose may be seen in or heard from a garden.

On playing the CD, my knowledge and understanding of the sounds began to expand immediately. An early delight was to discover the wing claps of the Wood Pigeon, a notably sharp clapping sound, as if two pieces of wood were being brought together, or perhaps a handclap. I would not previously have thought it an 'official' part of the bird's repertoire, but having discovered that it is was thrilled to hear it in the flesh, so to speak, almost straightaway.

Fifty two different birds seems a lot, but living as I do on the fringe of a country village I feel a need for samples of the cries of more owls, and of birds of prey such as the Buzzard and Peregrine Falcon. (The Sparrowhawk is on the CD.) The cuckoo is a surprising omission. Admittedly, we all know its early spring call and it is not usually heard from actually within a garden, but its June call is more obscure and where I live in South West England the bird has not been heard much at all in recent years.

Besides the wing-clapping of the Wood Pigeon, another sound heard on the CD that is not the song or cry of a bird as such is the hammering on a tree of the Great Spotted Woodpecker. I frequently hear what seems to be the identical sound, but does that mean the (unseen) woodpecker is necessarily the Great Spotted? Perhaps that demonstrates that a CD plus booklet, valuable as they are, is not all-sufficient; I need an instructor too.

Still, it's good to have this much - a great deal in itself - and as a bonus I find it both restful and uplifting to play the CD early in the day, whilst making breakfast, providing a background of birdsong at a time of the day and times of the year when the outdoor birds are not obliging.
on 29 January 2010
I am delighted with this CD and personally feel it is much better NOT to have a voice-over. It is very easy to follow the track listing, but if you wish you can play a guessing game and see how many birds you can identify without referring to the guide! A great way to learn! It is also pleasurable to listen to - surely the best music of all time is nature's own.
on 9 July 2009
Probably my own fault but it doesn't do what I expected.
I expected a recording of bird song with a 'voice over' (or voice under?) of identification.
Instead it is a succesion of different bird song with the necessity to refer to the CD cover to identify the bird, for which you need to keep tabs of exactly where you are in the CD running order.
on 22 June 2009
Disappointing. You need to follow the text in order to figure out which bird is singing. I would have preferred the birds to be identified on the track.
on 23 May 2009
Good length of tracks for each bird, but with Tawny Owl, Canada Goose etc, (not many in my garden) why not a nightingale?
on 28 July 2010
Brilliant CD with true bird sounds, when played with the window open, we got a response from the garden! prompt delivery and free postage thank you.
on 2 May 2012
I had this bought for me and the first thing I did was transfer the recording to my smartphone. After inputing the titles from the CD cover I now have a mobile compendium of birdsong. Good CD which cover the basic birds most people come across. There will always be something missing that you hoped would be on there but for those try the RSPB website.
on 17 June 2014
The sounds were clear and a great help but it would be much better if there was an accompanying booklet with photographs of the birds.