5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin.
Published on 20 April 2009 by Dr. Peter J. Coleman

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, but audio clips not long enough for me
Published 3 months ago by Kate B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 20 April 2009
Dr. Peter J. Coleman "pcoleman16" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: British Bird Sounds on CD: The Definitive Audio Guide to Birds in Britain (Audio CD)
This is the definitive CD of bird noises, and covers all 175 species encountered in the UK. The quality of the recordings is very good, as one would expect from a British Library badged product, and as an aid to aural identification this is a useful resource, with each species separated into discrete tracks. Each track is introduced verbally by a gentleman who sounds like he'd really rather have been doing something else than voice tagging bird noises, but his diction is crystal clear and accentless. It's a 2 CD set, with passerines on one CD, and non-passerines on the other.

Not really one for the dinner party or the individual wanting to relax to the sound of birdsong, but peerless as a reference resource. I find I'm now wandering round my local area and managing to pick out individual species much more clearly.

5.0 out of 5 stars recognising birdsong - a great help, 4 April 2010
I bought these CDs for my wife, who is a sometime birdwatcher. She loves them. They present different sounds for each birds - eg, the normal song, the alarm call, the sound they make at dusk - and she is able to go to different birds and listen, if she wants, again and again to the same species. I recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for British birds, 3 April 2010
This is the perfect bird song ID CD for Britain it contains all the British breeding birds and common migrants. I have a copy of this on my MP3 player for when I am in the field and it has come very usful for IDing that strange song coming from the bushers. Most of the birds have their main songs and calls covered.
Perfect for beginners and birders with more expreienced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for a bird enthusiast, 20 Oct. 2009
This was bought as a gift for my wife who is very interested in birdlife and needed a recording of bird calls to help her recognise species when she was out in the countryside. The CD is perfect for that purpose and has been a great help to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audible support for birders, 18 July 2009
J. Marriott - See all my reviews
An excellent aid to distinguishing the birds you can hear but can't see. With the tracks downloaded onto an Ipod you can take the sounds to the birds.Well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference guide, 11 Mar. 2010
Richard Hurley (Storrington England) - See all my reviews
The recordings are very clear and individually identified. Playing the CD on my PC made it very easy to select the bird sounds I specifically wanted to hear.

The CDs are not for those seeking peaceful background sounds or relaxation but certainly meet the needs of those wanting to become familiar with and identify bird sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible British Birdsongs, 14 Dec. 2009
A wonderful opportunity to brush up on the all the bird sounds we know and those we would like to identify. Thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars British Bird Sounds on CD: The Definitive Audio Guide to Birds, 20 July 2011
This is a great double CD containing 175 different species of British bird sounds. There's no idle chitchat just the name of each bird and the various sounds it makes. Exactly what I wanted. Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recordings, 9 Jan. 2013
These recordings were made at a time when audio equipment was good enough to make good recordings, and the countryside was quieter so not much background noise. (Except a little competition from other birds - sometimes it is a distant reply to the song).
Songs and calls are clear and long enough to get the feel for the length of intervals between bursts of song.
The only minus is that it's not organised for the digital age, but I can sort that before I upload it to my phone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, but audio clips not long enough for me, 12 Oct. 2014
I am a nature-lover but not a fanatical birder - plants are more my thing, as they keep still to be looked at... What I am trying to do is learn the sounds of the birds in my suburban garden so that I can tell a robin from a blackbird or a bluetit from a chaffinch without actually seeing them. For that purpose, these CDs contain too many birds I'm never likely to encounter (all those warblers and rare water birds), but I could not find one on offer that concentrated on common or garden birds. I would have liked longer excerpts for most of them - the nightingale clip (yeah OK I haven't got one in my garden but there are some up the road) doesn't begin to do justice to the variety of song they produce. One feature I would like but which it would have been unfair to expect here would be that the 'titles' would come in between two clips or afterwards, or it be possible to suppress them, because I would next like to be able to test my knowledge! Having said all that, for what it does, this CD does it well, and it's probably unfair of me to want it to do something else.

British Bird Sounds on CD: The Definitive Audio Guide to Birds in Britain