5.0 out of 5 stars A touching and sensitive remembrance from Freddie's friends.
FREDDIE MERCURY: THE REAL LIFE is an interesting,moving and very entertaining book. To me, the one word that describes Freddie Mercury is "unique". It seems that his dedication, determination and perfectionism towards his career, is what made him the superstar that he was. We can all learn from an example like that. His friends all agreed that he had a...
Published on 13 Sep 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely impressed
Having looked about for a book that would give some insight into the life of Freddie, I chose this as my first read. Needless to say, I was somewhat disappointed. I found the first few chapters extremely hard going without any real thought or insight with lists of things he had done & places he had been. I continued to read, having been assured by a friend that it would...
Published on 28 Nov 2003 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Freddie Mercury, 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: Freddie Mercury (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book! Excellent service and delivery. Recommend it to anyone. No one can beat Freddie ever. Worth reading the true Freddie has been captured in this story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not amused, 20 July 2012
This review is from: Freddie Mercury 'An intimate memoir by the man who knew him best' (Paperback)
Being a big fan of Freddy and the band since '73, i had hoped that this book would reveal things which were not generally known. Unfortunately it is not very well written and is just a mish-mash of anecdotes and the book is just as much about the author as it is about the subject matter. Very disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rose tinted spectacles., 24 Mar 2012
This book is written through rose tinted spectacles and would bore you to tears, if you want your biography to be warts and all then this is definitely not for you,more tea vicar?

5.0 out of 5 stars At this pont this is the best book of FM and Q, 12 May 2010
koronja (Sfintu Gheorghe) - See all my reviews
I've read it in two days,u will enjoy this book for sure.It is not a heavy drama of a rockstar or the band,it is written I thing just as it has happened.Many thanks for the autor P.F.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best freddie book i have read so far very sweet, 14 Oct 2001
By A Customer
peter did a really good job with this book one of the best i have ever read about freddie so far and i have read most of them it was very interesting and i could just imagine freddie reading it and having a laugh with some of the stuff thats in it. freddie would of loved this book i think

5.0 out of 5 stars Above all ... love, 4 Mar 2005
The most personal, affectionate, balanced -- sad and funny, good and bad -- account I have read about the complex and conflicted character that was Freddie Mercury. In his writing, Peter Freestone never waivers in his love for the man while never deteriorating into 'fannish' or 'star-struck' obsequiousness. He doesn't baulk at addressing the more difficult chapters, sees the humour in even the bleakest times and seems to have come through, if not unaffected, then at least unscathed and with his integrity intact.
The one question Peter Freestone didn't answer (and a lot of people might ask, 'who cares'?): did Freddie die alone?
Does it matter now? I guess it doesn't.
A genuinely interesting account.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your hard-earned money, 29 Sep 2002
By A Customer
I'm sure you'd get better enjoyment, and certainly more enlightenment, out of reading your local bus timetable. Really was a major disappointment for me. This book is a list. A list of places visited, a list of things seen. No insight whatsoever into what drove Freddie (nor, for that matter, the author).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
Brilliant, arrived promptly,- thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 25 Mar 2008
Saul Richman (Switzerland ex-Manchester) - See all my reviews
I'm not a Queen fan but I bought this book by "glücklicher Zufall" - happy accident, after literally stumbling into Freddy's statue in Montreux Switzerland. The Swiss just don't do statues and I was really touched as people came up to kiss and touch this fantastic image of Freddy in what became his adopted city.

Two weeks later in Paris (sorry for blatant name-dropping) I saw the book and bought it immediately. I wanted to know "the real Freddy Mercury" and with wife and kids away I plonked myself down eagerly looking forward to reading this "intimate memoir by the man who knew him best" (Cover page).

Oh dear. A great disappointment.

I found out about lots Freddy's taste in curtains, linens and bathroom fixtures, but precious little I didn't already know about the man. No dirt, no sleaze - not an issue for me, but I just didn't feel I knew this man any better even after 250 pages. It was just mundane and superficial anecdotes. Memorable tales? No.

Sorry Queen fans, there must be better biographies on the market.
But I would say to you - go to Montreux if you've not already been and see how the Swiss have have commemorated this great musician and entertainer. I think you'll enjoy your trip.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adds little to the legend but an in-depth read all the same, 6 July 2011
I'm a huge Queen fan and after reading Jim Hutton's 'Mercury and Me' I couldn't wait to dig into this. The claim that Peter Freestone is the man who knew Freddie best isn't a wholly inaccurate one so I thought that this would provide great insight. And it does, but all too infrequently. Want to know what bed linen Freddie preferred? Then read this book. Want to know what his favourite undies were? You'll find that here too. You will also learn a lot about the man himself but the book is so poorly edited and so many inconsequential information is thrusted upon the reader that you really have to dig deep to find the interesting stuff.
There are very few revelatory things included here, which is a huge shame really. Maybe Peter Freestone is too loyal to really dig the dirt on Freddie or maybe he was banished to the serving quarters when all the real fun was being had. Who knows? What I do know from reading this book is that we will probably not have a scathingly honest account of Freddie's life for a long time yet. Not that I want dirt necessarily but I would like to know more about who he really was.
If it seems like I hated this book then I apologise. I certainly didn't. I was just left somewhat disappointed at the end of it. It is a book is filled with facts and dates, anecdoted and tidbits of information but it never delves deep enough for my liking. Peter Freestone has actually made Freddie Mercury seem a little boring at times here. I never thought that could happen as Freddie was such a wonderful one-off but this book is devoid of anything really interesting. It is filled with heart but lacks character. Maybe Peter Guralnick will one day have a bash at the Queen legacy. Wouldn't that be wonderful? If not, then maybe Paul Gambaccini could delve into the music of Queen and Freddie and unearth some interesting treasures therein. Unfortunately, this book adds little to the legend. A shame indeed.

Freddie Mercury 'An intimate memoir by the man who knew him best'
Freddie Mercury 'An intimate memoir by the man who knew him best' by Peter Freestone (Paperback - 1 Nov 2001)