5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for me
Published on 16 Nov 2010 by Mark Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars great book. would recommend to any one.
It was a great book. I like it. My son enjoys learning from it.
I received the book on time too.
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for me, 16 Nov 2010
Mark Gray (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) (Paperback)
As someone who has never played harmonica before, I was very pleased with the way this book explains concepts, musical terminology and techniques to you. Within 20 minutes I was playing 2 basic songs relatively well which inspired me with confidence. It has been mentioned that some of the songs are a little wet (Twinkle Twinkle, Jingle Bells and O Christmas Tree!) but I don't mind this as the reason I am learning to play is partly so I can entertain my 6 month old daughter and 5 and 6 year old step kids.

I found the tone of the book to be straight-forward without coming across as patronising. I think this book would be perfect for you if, like me you have no real knowledge of reading sheet music but want to be able to start playing songs straight away. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and as looking forward to many years playing my harp!

4.0 out of 5 stars When you read you begin with ABC..., 25 May 2010
This review is from: Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) (Paperback)
This book alone wont take you to blowing the harp like a bluesman, nor will the tunes rock your friends... but it's a very good place from which to begin a journey which, if it gives you the bug, could one day lead you on to greater things. In the meantime there's plenty to enjoy as you learn. It starts at the very beginning which, as someone once sang, is a very good place to start, and if (as appears mandatory with beginner harmonica books) the first four tunes are painfully wet, at least the theory they practise is well explained.

Thereafter, what I really like about this book, amongst a handful of similarly wimpish tunes (yes "Twinkle twinkle..." really is there), at least five folk songs which are really mournful, something the harmonica does brilliantly. I was in Cornwall a fortnight back playing them from deserted clifftops out onto the Atlantic wind... I doubt it carried to Mississippi, but it felt great.

So this book isn't very rock and roll, but face it, harp wise nor are you just yet, you're thinking of buying this book because you are (like I was) an absolute beginner: the blues or rock will (I'm hoping) come one day with practice; meanwhile, unless you hate folk (in which case avoid!) there's enough good instruction and soulful music in this book (plus great CD with each tune played twice, once with the harmonica track once without) to get you hooked, at least if the harp and you are meant to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great learning aid, 16 Feb 2010
C. D. Daniel (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) (Paperback)
Finally decided to put some effort into getting to grips with the harmonica, I am not very musical but have found this guide very useful for learning the basics and getting a feel for the sound of the harmonica and rythm. The CD that comes with the book is an essential part of the learning process. Definitely one of the best learning aids I have come across for a beginner. As you advance you may want to supplement this with more advanced material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book and tutor., 14 April 2013
This review is from: Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) (Paperback)
I like this book. It gives a very good grounding inn playing techniques, plent of tunes to practise on andis very easy to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the title suggests., 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) (Paperback)
Good for absolute beginners. Beware: if you are not an ABSOLUTE beginner you may find it too simple.

I'm an absolute beginner. I'm finding the guidelines easy to understand and follow. The disc that comes with the book is an integral part of the learning and really does help!

Drawback: some things are not made clear from first; you might get a bit confused sometimes...

If you think you're gonna "rock the house" after reading this book, you are mistaken. It takes you through the first steps, and if you then feel ok you should buy a more advanced one.

***The book is small, hence the price. I'm not saying its not worth the money or that it doesn't contain enough material. On the contrary, an absolute beginner wouldn't want a huge volume.***

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for complete beginners., 26 Sep 2010
This review is from: Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) (Paperback)
If you are a complete beginner this is a really good introduction to the harmonica. The accompanying CD is good though goes a little fast at some points but it is simply a question of practice to get up to speed. A good investment which requires a c diatonic harmonica (which can be bought very cheaply).

4.0 out of 5 stars novice, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) (Paperback)
clearly written, does what it says on the book !the first copy was lost in the post, but after i reported its loss,the loss was soon rectified,well done everyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first harmonica book., 24 Feb 2013
This book was great as a first harmonica book. Introduces harmonica tab and gets you from holding the harmonica through multi-hole, to single notes.
Did just what it says.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Gift, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) (Paperback)
Bought this for my son to go with his "joke gift" of a harmonica... He loved them both! (I think he might have preferred them to his "real" gift! )

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy., 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) (Paperback)
Recently buying a harmonica, i needed a little more guidance after getting the general idea of the instrument.
I have been using this book for a while and have to say i am very pleased with it. It wont take you too the point of blasting a harmonica like the Blues Brothers or any other muscian at a proffesional level. But if your a beginner then it is a very good place to start and get a good strong footing of how to and confidently play the harmonica.

Reccomend to someone else - If your a beginner than most certainly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Harmonica (Absolute Beginners)
Harmonica (Absolute Beginners) by Wise Publications (Paperback - 1 Sep 1999)
6.26