5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money., 24 July 2011
Ms. A. Busby "Andrea" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Dozen A Day: Pre-Practice Technical Exercises For The Piano [Book 1 Primary] (Sheet music)
I bought this book several weeks ago and have still not got to the end of it. It has been so helpful in helping me work out finger patterns and also with sight reading.
Ignore the fact that it seems to be written for children. It is suitable for anyone really.
Some of the exercises seem a little pointless but those are the fun ones. The ones which have you crossing hands in the first lesson might not be recommended by your teacher but those are the fun ones and all of it helps you to increase your confidence on the keyboard.

One thing I found especially helpful is that it only uses a small selection of notes at first. You quickly learn these and the patterns that each exercise uses so there's more time spent actually pressing keys rather than trying to work out which note it means.
Also there's a gradual introduction to a lot of different aspects of music notation and you absorb this almost subconsciously as you work through the exercises.

They start very simple and gradually become more complex. Each section ends with a little song which gets a little more complex for each of the groups.

If I am trying a new tempo or am trying to learn a new key I often go back to the beginning of the book and start with the familiar easy ones again. That makes this book well worth the price and when I finally outgrow it I will definitely buy the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Technically brilliant!, 16 Sept. 2009
T. Faux (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
The A Dozen A Day books have been around for decades - the fact that they are still in publication shows that they are hugely successful. I used these books when I started to learn the piano at the age of 6, and now that I am much older, and teaching the piano, I still recommend these books to my pupils. The A Dozen A Day series works on players' techniques working on developing strong hands and flexible fingers which every pianist needs.

The pieces work in five groups of twelves, designed in order to play through two or three pieces a day before practice and gradually adding one or two until all twelve pieces can be played. Please note, by 'pieces', I don't mean 5 page sonatas - these are very simple, one or two line exercises. The exercises are suitably named to reflect what they're about, e.g. 'Playing With a Yo-Yo' involves running fingers up and down the piano; 'Jumping Rope' works on staccatos - you get the gist! They even show above each piece a little cartoon stickman performing the act that is described (fun for children).

Once pupils are confident with these exercises, they will feel much more confident in playing longer pieces, as the exercises cover such a broad range of techniques. I thorougly recommend this book to all beginners, and even adults who might need their fingers warming up a bit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 14 Nov. 2010
This is a great book: perfect bitesize exercises for little (or even larger) fingers. They are simple on the whole, so not quite Czerny, but really accessible for beginner/intermediate level. The exercises are set out clearly and are short enough not to be intimidating. If you can get your pupil/child to practise a few of these every day you will definitely see an improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars koogar, 5 April 2012
I used to buy this book alot, but use it mainly for those young pianists up to age of about 13 to strengthen their finger muscle, so I tend to share old books I have got out for the pupils that need it. It is a good idea to ask them to try them in different keys, providing they can do this from knowledge of those keys you are asking, or from ear (even better!). We do minor keys too, this is more fun too. I think they could really re do the pictures, the pictures look like a stick image with a dress on which is not ideal for late primary, or early secondary children(especially boys!!) I tell my pupils that it is an excellent "instruction" book for finger strength and to ignore the images and use face stickers to put on the faces of the bodies to make it more fun. Still using it because of excellent content however!!!!! Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a beginner, 21 Dec. 2009
Angela Bass (UK) - See all my reviews
My 8 year old daughter has recently started learning the piano. Her teacher suggested getting this book. It really is excellent and the CD ensures that she is doing the exercises correctly. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Mar. 2011
Quite simply superb! An essential book for anyone learning to play the piano. It teaches you progressively to develop and improve your technical skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo!, 28 Jun. 2011
S. Robertson (Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
I am a 52yr old kid learning piano, this book makes practice so much fun and I love the CD to play along to. Thank you Edna May :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jun. 2011
This is fantastic. Fun and effective. Many of them look simple but there are catches built in. I am 'preparing for grade 2' standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dozen a day, 7 April 2011
K. Miller (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Excellent book for warm up exercises and also for establishing fingering positions. Maybe a bit young in its approach for an adult learner like me but excellent all the same.A Dozen A Day: Primary Bk. 1 (Book & CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars dozen a day, 22 Oct. 2013
P. Kemp - See all my reviews
I ordered this for my daughter, who is 7 and has been learning piano for 6 months. Her piano teacher sets exercises from the book to practise each week and my daughter loves doing them as each exercises has a simple little cartoon picture. I remember using the name book when i was learning back in the 70's and it's good to see they still hold the same appeal.

A Dozen A Day: Pre-Practice Technical Exercises For The Piano [Book 1 Primary]