Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 April 1999
This first piano book is colourful, easy to follow and includes teachers accompaniments. The book is primarily aimed at children so includes some well known nursery rhymes to play and cartoon charaters to guide you through. I am an adult beginner and used the book to teach myself and found it preferable to other beginners books that were aimed at adults because of the way John Thompson's book built up my skills step by step and offered opportunities for review and practice before moving on.
My one small critiscm would be that some of the peices are (I think) American and having never heard of them and teaching myself I had no idea whether the (ahem) music I was making was right or wrong. If you are a parent trying to guide a child through the book you may also find this a problem. That asside, I would recommend this book for any beginner and have gone on to use the others in the series. If you reach the end of the book a reward awaits you!
0Comment|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2008
I'm a piano teacher and have used this book with nearly 100 pupils now- it is certainly a lot better than Piano Time and 10 little fingers as it gets started with treble and bass clefs immediately and is therefore nowhere near as confusing as the books mentioned above.

However, following the reviews mentioned below, the presence of so many American tunes isn't great and the actual content of the book isn't at all different to the original 1955 version.

Book 2 of the same series is ok. The quality of the teaching is good but the material itself isn't of the same standard.

I solely use Chester's Easiest Piano Course now.
on 2 May 2007
I use this with my pupils along with books by John Schaum and Barnaby Byron. My only criticism is that there are loads of American tunes in it that are not relevant to Europeans really. It is better than the Shaum books though.
on 1 October 2009
I would have been extremely pleased if this book had been the one that I was expecting as I use the course all the time with my pupils. However BEWARE - this is an American version and talks in whole notes, half notes amd quarter notes rather than semibreves, minims and crotchets. Unfortunately my student had already written her name in pen all over the book by the time I realised this and I am therefore unable to return it.
on 27 February 2014
I have been teaching the piano for 25 years and have always used this book alongside others, including 'Chester's', Pauline Hall, various Kodaly material etc. Unlike some of the other reviewers I find this irreplaceable as a first book, partly because it starts straight away with both hands (separately), and introduces the young beginner gradually to hands together. It is clearly set out, without too many distractions, and unlike some of the other books for beginners, gets you going playing the piano, rather than picking out endless one handed tunes.

New concepts are kept simple and clear, and I don't have a problem with the pieces, unlike some reviewers. They are all pleasant to play, and my pupils feel a sense of achievement when they reach the first piece with hands together, very early in the book.

There will always be pupils who need to start gently, and having tried the other primer books on the market I think this is the one for them, because of its simplicity and lack of fussy exercises and distractions. It is of course essential to use other books/ methods alongside, and it does not 'teach' the piano...you need a teacher for that!
Of course be aware that there is an American version and make sure you buy the UK one as the note values are named differently.
on 30 November 2012
Well worth buying and is being used and loved by my 4 year old granddaughter both at home and as part of her piano lessons.
She has come on in leaps and bounds since working with these two books:-
John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course - Part 1 and Theory Made Easy for Little Children, Level 1
on 4 June 2013
I Puchased this for my 11yer old daughter who has worked her way through it and now needs part 2.
she liked it found it easy to use and certainly allowed her to work through it after her paid lessons.
on 13 October 2011
As stated in other reviews, this is the AMERICAN VERSION, which uses whole notes, half notes etc instead of semibreves and minims...

I have recommended 13 new students to purchase this book and recommended amazon due to cheapness... and now I have to explain to each parent that every time it says one thing, I have to scribble it out and put another.

It's not as if teaching new students notation is confusing enough for them already.

Poor show amazon.

As for the book, it's the best course for beginner pianists, great pace and really enjoyable duets that the kids love.
on 4 January 2012
This book was recommended by my daughter's piano teacher. Though she advised it was quite American, it is easy to adapt to the English language. It seems to gently bring the learning on in easy clear instructions that my daughter (7) can follow. It is written well and had good clear diagrams. I think this will be a great first book and hopefully keep the interest going. Its also a good price!
on 31 March 2013
My 5 year old started piano lessons and was asked to buy this book..... As I have never played I started to learn with him.... It is very simple to understand and follow. As other reviews have said some of the tunes are American and therefore I did not recognise them