4.0 out of 5 stars An easy to follow first piano book for children and adults
This first piano book is colourful, easy to follow and includes teachers accompaniments. The book is primarily aimed at children so includes some well known nursery rhymes to play and cartoon charaters to guide you through. I am an adult beginner and used the book to teach myself and found it preferable to other beginners books that were aimed at adults because of...
Published on 28 April 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars John Thompsons easy piano course part 1 -American version!
I would have been extremely pleased if this book had been the one that I was expecting as I use the course all the time with my pupils. However BEWARE - this is an American version and talks in whole notes, half notes amd quarter notes rather than semibreves, minims and crotchets. Unfortunately my student had already written her name in pen all over the book by the time I...
Published on 1 Oct 2009 by M. Higgs

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Easiest Piano Course I think not!, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1) (Paperback)
As a highly qualified, committed and experienced piano teacher this book is highly unimaginative and is not half as well thought out or structured as Pauline Hall's 'Tunes for 10 fingers' and 'Piano Time'.

Firstly there is nothing tuneful or memorable about the pieces within the book. Apart from 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' and 'Yankee Doodle' the pieces are incredibly dull unlike in 'Tunes for Ten Fingers' by Pauline Hall where so many of the tunes or words are recognisable to the children that they keep wanting to come back to them months after they've learnt them, such as 'Hush Little Baby', 'Happy Birthday To You','Skip to My Lou', 'This Old Man', 'Two Little Dicky Birds', 'Jingle Bells', 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', 'Good King Wenceslas', 'Kumbaya' etc. One of my pupils enjoyed the first piece in 'Tunes for 10 fingers' so much that we had to finish every lesson with it every week for about a year!

Secondly, may I stress the importance of not only introducing the left hand and bass clef early on but playing pieces where both hands are actually playing together at the same time as opposed to just alternating between which is what this book does.

Thirdly, I much prefer the illustrations in 'Tunes for 10 fingers'. The monsters theme in 'John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course' may seem fun to start with but you quickly lose interest in them and become bored by the lack of variation from page to page.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn the Piano, 6 April 2014
Gnq (Newport, Wales) - See all my reviews
Got this on piano teacher,s recommendation.

Easy to follow for my 6 year old daughter. After a couple of month she progress to second book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful book for getting started, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1) (Paperback)
I have been teaching the piano for 24 years and have always used this book alongside others, including 'Chester's', Pauline Hall, various Kodaly material etc. Unlike one of the other reviewers I find this irreplaceable as a first book, partly because it does begin with both hands (separately), and introduces the young beginner gradually to hands together. It is clearly set out, without too many distractions, and unlike some of the other books for beginners, gets you going playing the piano, rather than picking out endless one handed tunes.

The treble and bass clef, finger numbers and middle C are the first concepts to be introduced, together with the longer note values and how to count them within the context of 'bars' and the musical stave. The thumb plays middle C first, holding down the longer notes; if taught correctly ie. that the thumbs lies at the bottom of the key, this is an excellent place to begin to learn the correct position of the hand, nice and relaxed, with rounded fingers.

The first real 'piece' is called 'The Train' and this involves playing the three note values just learnt, moving from slow to fast as implied by the title.
New concepts are kept simple and clear, although the book could perhaps be improved by the introduction of some more tuneful pieces. Having said this, my pupils feel a sense of achievement when they reach 'The Chimes', which has a pleasant melody and ends with two notes played together to make the chimes of a clock.

There will always be pupils who need to start gently, and I think this book, (rather than some of the others on the market) is the one for them, because of its simplicity and lack of fussy exercises and distractions. It is of course essential to use other books/ methods alongside, and it does not 'teach' the piano...you need a teacher for that!
Of course be aware that there is an American version and make sure you buy the UK one as the note values are named differently.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1) (Paperback)
This item was suggested by my daughters piano teacher .... she was a complete beginner ..... very easy to get to grips with ... it came in perfect condition and was delivered the next working day :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1) (Paperback)
Better still my grandson is happy with this item.

Packaged perfectly. Arrived earlier than expected. Overall very happy with my purchase.

I would highly recommend this item for junior beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 9 Feb 2014
This book was suggested and we found this very useful for my son. I would recommend this book to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars I use these all the time, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1) (Paperback)
I use these all the time . They are an essential aid for young beginners My pupils and I love them

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1) (Paperback)
I have chosen this rating because it is an excellent book, ideal for beginners, child friendly & easy to use for teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it., 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1) (Paperback)
I used to have this book as a kid, and now that I am a piano teacher I can't find a better book to start teaching.... So simple and straight forward!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam's first keyboard book, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1) (Paperback)
Very pleased with this beginner's book. Easy to use and good illustrations. Recommended by the teacher and good value for money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1)
Thompson's Easiest Piano Course (Part 1) by Various (Paperback - 1 Jan 2011)