5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Blues book
I've been teaching myself for 2 years and have bought over 20 books. For blues, this is the best. The songs are not famous, but the instruction finally taught me to bend. The exercises and CD took me through steps, from simple to more advanced, that accelerated my blues range and speed. After working with this book, blues riffs from other sources became easier.
Published on 9 May 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point but this book needs better proofing
Like most harmonica books you will need a C scale Harmonica if you want to play along with the CD.

Published on 30 Mar 2009 by Anton

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Blues book, 9 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Blues Harp from Scratch: Blues Harmonica for Absolute Beginners (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Blowing (and drawing) hard...., 10 Aug 2008
Shane Slade (Sevenoaks, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Just a line to fully endorse the first reviewer. I have always wanted to play a musical instrument but found the piano and guitar required a manual dexterity that defeated me. However this book contains an excellent CD which encourages you to copy the pieces played, against the backdrop of a good supporting band. I have mastered the playlist in just five months and am now looking to expand my knowledge and perhaps try and play a chromatic harp also.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point but this book needs better proofing, 30 Mar 2009

This book does what it sets out to but be prepared to use it along side other resorces. I'd recommend going on line and looking at free lessons on youtube. Try 'Modern Blues Harmonica' or 'freeharmoniclessons'. The section on developing your embouchure for those single notes which is essential is rather limited. I needed more than this book gave.

My only gripe is that the blow and draw arrows on some notes are wrong. It's not a great problem if you can read music or if you know the song/melody you are trying to play but if you don't it could be an issue. That said if you stick with this book you'll get there.

3.0 out of 5 stars I am learning to play, 3 May 2014
I have not had the opportunity to go through the book but at first glance I may have chosen the wrong book, there is little in there that I know and so will have little help in knowing what I play is what the music sounds like. Maybe I should read music to a higher standard that would then help me to be certain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a good starting place for blues if you can get those bends, 13 Feb 2014
DaveRR1 (Greater Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
I gave it 4 stars because like most blues books it takes you almost strait in to bending notes but for beginners this will only come with time. You can't play blues without the bends but its a great book to have when you do start getting those bends.

3.0 out of 5 stars not for beginners, 16 July 2013
This book is to fast,the programs need to be explained better than they are and more content for each lesson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 23 Jun 2013
I bought this for my husband who wanted to learn a new instrument and it's really good guidance for learning the basic techniques. He doesn't read music though so the music script isn't too much help but he still seems to use all the other methods within the book in a positive way to support his learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 May 2013
Got this for a friend who is learning the harmonica and this is ideal,it explains it in a way that is easy to understand and follow

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair tutor, 14 April 2013
Not bad, interesting techniques. A bit limited for practise tunes. It does point you in the right direction. If followed you could at least be competent

1.0 out of 5 stars poor, 22 Nov 2012
Very dissapointed with the content of the illustration, it doesnt brake things down to an acceptable level for beginners, very dissapointed to say the least

Blues Harp from Scratch: Blues Harmonica for Absolute Beginners
Blues Harp from Scratch: Blues Harmonica for Absolute Beginners by Mich Kinsella (Paperback - 1 Jan 1998)