4.0 out of 5 stars Good recognizable tunes
Very well paced, un-complicated style of teaching. It works very well, though there is a lack of classical tunes, this author prefers to go with Famous Pop tunes that the reader will know and therefore be able to pick up the rythem and style very easy (book printed in the Eighties, though, some younger readers may not know some songs).
I would highly recommend this...
Published on 6 Jan 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite There
Published 8 months ago by June Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recognizable tunes, 6 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Piano Player: Book 1: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
I would highly recommend this book as it will teach you how to read music, but if you want to learn from classical music, its not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is easy to understandand follow - I found it very useful, 18 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Piano Player: Book 1: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
It is very easy to keep up with and does not push you to hard but keeps you moving at a steady rate. I found it was a great way to learn the piano with a personnal tutor but with this book you can also learn it yourself as it shows you all the steps. It helps teach you to read the music if can not already do that, I would defently advise others to buy it if you want to learn to play the piano well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite There, 16 April 2014
This review is from: The Complete Piano Player: Book 1: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
I received this book today and it is okay but not quite there. You will have to use this book in conjunction with a series of lessons on YouTube with a lady called Alison. The 'Official' Learn To Play Piano-Lessons, I think this is what it is called and then just type in the name Alison and that should get you to the right place. It is a series of 10 lessons free of charge and this is the book she uses with these lessons. Without these lessons this book would not be much good. The one thing that has been left out of this book is the note letters on the lines and spaces of the bass clef which is no good when playing the piano with the left hand. In fact, they don't even put the note letters on the lines and spaces of the treble clef either, so that will be difficult for the right hand on the piano as well. Unless you have the bare basic knowledge of these things it is going to be a bit hard going. I recommend that you go and visit Tim on YouTube, LessonsOnTheWeb, look him up under this and you will find him. He is really good for the bare basics of reading music. Then I suggest that you pencil in the line and space notes on the bass and treble clefs on pages 14 and 15 of this book and thus you will always have them there as a handy reference guide. Another person to look up on YouTube is Andrew, also known as Lypur, he is good but he does seem to be a little bit too technical at times, so perhaps it is best to go to Alison and Tim first and then when you have a little more knowledge of the subject, go on to listening to Andrew and see how you go from there. The good thing about these videos on YouTube is that you can see people playing the piano as opposed to just reading about it. You have the best of both worlds on YouTube as you have both the music theory and also you see the practice of that music theory with the people playing the piano themselves.
I hope this review has helped you all out there and I wish you all the best on your journey into the world of music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz styles conveyed readably. A gem!, 12 Sep 2013
RONAN O'CALLAGHAN (N Ireland) - See all my reviews
I am about to purchase this for the third time (what happened those other copies?!?)

While I am not a fan of the Kenneth Baker series generally as a piano teaching course, I was delighted twenty years ago to discover that this little book succeeds where so many fail - you get an authentic feel of jazz sounds and phrasings neither over simplified nor overly complicated to read. Very tasty selection of tunes too and well graded in order. The chord symbols are an encouragement to try making some jazz with this too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed., 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Complete Piano Player: Book 1: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
I recently acquired a keyboard and decided to learn ho to play it. I remember from years ago a book for guitarists of the same brand that I had used to get me started on guitar... With this piano book I was not disappointed..I am now playing tunes on the keyboard in a relatively short time. If like me you want to learn..easily and in a short period of time to keep your interest going..this is the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Piano Player, 11 Mar 2011
I have later in life decided to learn the piano. This range of books is really great. It has enabled me to progress at a much faster rate than I had thought that I could. I allow half an hour a day to practice and now it is beginning to sound like real music. In fact I am now playing more than half and hour because it has become fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start, 17 April 2013
This review is from: The Complete Piano Player: Book 1: Bk. 1 (Paperback)
A super book for an adult to start learning. I really feel as if I'm playing properly! Would recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice songs, 8 Jan 2012
Brought for my partners granmother she enjoyes the piano and has recently recived from myself the Les mis movie songs book. Seems to keep her happy and ideal for her when the weather is rubbish and a good hobby.

5.0 out of 5 stars pianissimo - fortissimo, 26 Feb 2011
I started with children's teach yourself books because I thought they would be easier. I need not have bothered, however, because this adult primer was much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Piano Player, 20 Jan 2010
This is an excellent product and absolutely ideal for smartening up technique in learners who haven't touched the piano for nearly 40 years ... and great for adults to learn from scratch.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Complete Piano Player: Book 1: Bk. 1
The Complete Piano Player: Book 1: Bk. 1 by Kenneth Baker (Paperback - 31 Dec 1987)