5.0 out of 5 stars A simple UK focused guide to GPS
Published on 11 July 2008 by P. Coates

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Previous reviews have been very good for this but unfortunately I did not find it so.
It is written for a Garmin etrex H which I have but it tells me all the obvious things & not how to really use it.
If you are a REAL novice to maps perhaps it is OK
Published on 23 Oct 2011 by A. E. Roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple UK focused guide to GPS, 11 July 2008
This review is from: GPS for Walkers: An Introduction to Gps,Digital Maps and Geocaching (Pathfinder Guide) (Paperback)
This is a reasonably up to date guide to the fast moving world of GPS that reveals what you can and can't do with your gps. For the UK user this will help you make some sense of settings, grid systems and the differences between waypoints, trackpoints and routes. It shows how much is available on the internet to enable you to use your gps to its maximum. The book is a very easy, non-technical read that you can dip into or read thoroughly. I bought a very good gps but, to be honest, had no idea what to do with it yet, very quickly, the author has shown me how to make more sense of the bewildering Garmin handbook. I heartily recommend this volume to anyone who wants to buy a gps or someone who would like to do more with their receiver but is not sure how to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Step by Step Guide, 6 Oct 2007
This book can be used as a step by step guide to get the most out of your GPS. I would recommend reading this book even before buying the gadget because it will help you in deciding what GPS you really need. I had read this book then I went to buy the GPS with specs that suits me. As a result it saved a lot of money because I bought Garmin eTrex Summit instead of a GPS from the top of the range.

Furthermore, the book is written for the British reader which means more explanation on how to use the GPS with British maps than the user manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect introduction to GPS, 30 Jun 2008
G. Horsham (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was recommended this book and can follow it up with my own recommendation. If you are like me and are intending to by a GPS for walking/cycling, this gives a brief overview of what GPS devices can do for you.

It has various sections on what GPS is and why it is useful, what all the terminology means and then shows you how to set up your GPS, from a generic point of view; most have common attributes. It then brings it up to date with usage of maps, how to plan a route and some of the newer uses such as Geocaching. It even covers the importance of batteries!

It is not a very big book (95 pages), is very easy to ready in short and nicely concise sections. None of the book is overly detailed so lends itself to the beginner/novice.

Definite recommendation!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 23 Oct 2011
A. E. Roberts "aero" (England) - See all my reviews
If you are a REAL novice to maps perhaps it is OK
The Garmin instructions for the old model (not the present one) which are still available on line are nearly as useful.
What is needed in the book is a full description of all the screens INCLUDING the menus & options available & which buttons to press to do the tasks one needs to actually use the GPS on a walk. I found this by trial & error.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 16 Mar 2008
Helen Simpson - See all my reviews
This book is well written, clear, practical and excellent all round. I bought it when I was unsure what GPS did and whether I wanted one: it convinced me that I did want one, clarified what it would do and what it wouldn't do, and helped with how to choose one. It also explained a lot about how to use GPS and will be a standby when I want to expand, eg with using it abroad.

5.0 out of 5 stars GPS for Walkers - Spot on!, 30 Mar 2010
J. J. Farrell (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
I found this book really handy for thoroughly explaining how to get the best out of my Garmin eTrex H. It told me everything I needed to know to start using it, and immediately started to get the best out my GPS. I read it through, and it answered all my questions quickly, and got me using my GPS within minutes.

I'd recommend it unreservedly!

4.0 out of 5 stars now i understand, 17 April 2009
Mr. D. R. Taylor "David Taylor" (Sittingbourne England) - See all my reviews
at last! this book i understand, clear laymans language and very logically produced I would recommend this to anyone who has any repeat any questions about GPS and how best to use it

4.0 out of 5 stars GPS for Walkers, 7 Aug 2009
This book is almost essential reading for someone who is new to GPS walking. It is a great introduction to the subject and provides a lot of information which is not always mentioned in the various owners' manuals. It gives recommended settings which help the user to prepare their GPS device including the position format and the map datum they will be using. These need to be changed if you use your GPS for walking in different countries. It helps to explain the various functions on the device and how to use the various mapping products that are available. Finally it provides some useful websites and addresses for the enthusiast who wants to take this great pastime further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 May 2012
This book is perfect and just enough detail to make it great for a beginner. I started geocaching and hiking and needed more knowledge on gps and how to use it. This book really helped me to understand and I have used it as a stepping stone to more advanced books. Very well written and easy to get into.

2.0 out of 5 stars GPS for Walkers, 9 Sep 2010
Col (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
I was expecting this little book, which is beautifully presented, to be more informative - it told me nothing about GPS devices that manufacturer's blurbs had not already done.

Perhaps there is only so much that can be said about these devices? Perhaps I was expecting too much? It came as a disappointment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›