4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous walking close to London
Published on 6 April 2009 by Freddy Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Proceed with caution
I bought two Pathfinder Guides last week, 'Kent' and 'Surrey & Sussex' as I thought my other walking guides for those regions were well out of date. I bought them about seven years ago and, in some places the landscapes have changed which makes some of the directions difficult to reinterpret.
However, they are still generally more accurate than these new Pathfinder...
Published on 1 Sep 2004 by Neil Anthony

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous walking close to London, 6 April 2009
This review is from: Pathfinder Kent: Walks (Pathfinder Guide) (Paperback)
We have now done 6 walks from the Pathfinder Kent book and found all of them to be excellent. The directions are well thought through and accurate - "fork right onto a sandy path after 150 yds" rather than the vague 'after a while go right" which other books (eg AA) are prone to. The Kent countryside is lovely and many of the walks take you passed old country houses or castles.
The maps are also in very detailed OS style which is helpful.
Our only point for improvement would be for more information on how to get to the car park start points (or maybe we are just too lazy to buy a detailed map of Kent)!

3.0 out of 5 stars Proceed with caution, 1 Sep 2004
Neil Anthony (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pathfinder Kent: Walks (Pathfinder Guide) (Paperback)
However, they are still generally more accurate than these new Pathfinder Guides. We tried three different walks over the August Bank Holiday and were disappointed. Some of the directions you've published are factually wrong. For example, several times the Guide says take a right turn when it's in fact a left turn! These books were supposedly 'revised and reprinted in 2003'. The amount of changes to hedges, stiles, fences etc. - which are used in the Guides as landmark directions - are more than one year old!! These Guides have not been revised properly and in places are misleading. Consequently, the walks took longer than anticipated, and were much more stressful than need be. The OS maps printed in each guided walk worked well and it was very useful to cross reference, without them we would have been lost, literally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get your boots on :o), 28 Feb 2009
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pathfinder Kent: Walks (Pathfinder Guide) (Paperback)
I've had this book over a year now and have completed over 20 of the 28 of them. The walks are graded (short, moderate and challenging) and range from 4 to 12 miles. They cover a good variety of landscape and are well distributed around "The Garden of England" that is Kent. Woodland wanders, estuary meanders, North Downs climbs and coastal canters make this a good book for new and experienced walkers. You can take your pick depending on your mood, location, price of petrol (!) and of course the weather.

From a practical point of view, the book is tall and narrow and fits nicely in deep pockets. It has a tough waterproof cover, handy for the inevitable drop in the mud. Instructions are mostly good and helped by the OS map cutout. I also use Post-it index tabs also to mark my place as I go along too. I always take my Garmin Sat Nav with me for referencing nearby roads and for use as a compass for the all-important direction of travel. If new to walking, I'd recommend doing the shorter walks first to get feel for the directions and your fitness. Common sense prevails in choosing your footwear, clothing and refreshments and your moby of course.

Note there are earlier versions out there, the amazon picture shows the 2007 version, which I have described here. It is always a good idea to get the latest version of any walk book as things change - trees grow and obscure landmarks, field boundaries move, styles collapse (or become kissing gates thanks to the good efforts of KCC ) buildings are knocked down or pop up en route. This version also has GPS waypoints if you know how to use them though maybe that's a bit over the top unless you really fancy yourself as Kent's answer to Ben Fogle . . .

Overall, this book is very good and has given me and various friends some great (cheap) days out. I have several other Kent walk books (see my list), other favourites being Adventurous Walks in West Kent by Raymond Hugh/Morning Mist and the excellent Kev Reynolds/Ciccerone Press Walking in Kent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable guide to a beautiful county, 16 Jan 2007
M. J. Miles Lea (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pathfinder Kent: Walks (Pathfinder Guide) (Paperback)
Have used this guide for some years and had some great walks from it. We've never got lost with it, partly because it makes a lot of use of well waymarked long distance paths, and partly due to the excellent OS mapping.

There are some cracking walks in here - so go and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets you out of the house, 21 May 2007
Smellgrovia (Blackheath, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pathfinder Kent: Walks (Pathfinder Guide) (Paperback)
I have used these books before on holiday and so wanted one for my local area to get me out of the house on sunny weekends. Have done a few of the walks so far, and they have taken me to places I would never have found on my own. Really recommended walk #21 at Halstow Marshes: desolate, beautiful and didn't run into another soul for two hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kent Walks, 8 Aug 2010
This review is from: Pathfinder Kent: Walks (Pathfinder Guide) (Paperback)
Well organised and detailed descriptions of a wide selection of walks in Kent, with a range of length and difficulty. Interesting variety of terrains. Clear maps from ordnance survey.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 1 Oct 2014
Up to usual standard

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 27 Oct 2014
Good!

Pathfinder Kent: Walks (Pathfinder Guide)
Pathfinder Kent: Walks (Pathfinder Guide) by Crimson Publishing (Paperback - 1 Oct 2008)