5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to put this into practice!
Published 10 months ago by Joan

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for beginner
This is somewhat simplistic book ideal for someone who is beginning to grow fruit and veg as it contains nothing new or innovative. A much better book is by Joy Larkcom "Grow your own fruit and veg", published by Francis Licoln at around £10.
Published 9 months ago by Yorkshireman53

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to put this into practice!, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Charles Dowding's Veg Journal: Expert no-dig advice, month by month (Hardcover)
I don't have a garden ... yet! I bought this book as I intend to get back into gardening when I retire very soon. I have been reading it to educate myself and have found this book inspiring, I can't wait to get started! Many moons ago vegetable gardening was so much hard work, and like Susan arthritis now means I can't garden the way I used to. This book will be my veggie plot 'bible'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a eureka moment, 25 Jan 2014
A combination of age and arthritis had me believing growing my own veg was just a dream, well this little book has changed all that. Real practical, accessible advice to make it easier to grow your own. No more soil mutilation for me, I'll be tucking it up in a blanket and cossetting it, finally mastering the weeds and growing tasty veg throughout the year. Unlike the previous reviewer I don't have any of Charles other books so cannot compare them and yes there is a lot crammed into the book but this makes it real value for money. The advice is practical, encouraging and enthusiastic I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., 7 Mar 2014
E. Boatman - See all my reviews
This book arrived very quickly and I am delighted with it. I have been gardening for 40 years and growing veg for nearly as many but was so interested to hear the views of an expert. The advice given is very useful and the book well set out. I would definitely recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for beginner, 28 Feb 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars could do better, 3 April 2014
Its ok thats about it, prefer his book the natural no dig way ,which has a lot more information in it

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Mr. Ernest G. Weston "Nimrod" (Sutton Coldfield, UK) - See all my reviews
A nicely produced book wriiten by a practical gardener.

5.0 out of 5 stars No dig - fine by me, 10 Mar 2014
Another inspiring book from Charles. I'm following his month by month tips and looking forward to better harvests this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charles Dowting Veg Journal, 7 Feb 2014
MJ Chantler (France) - See all my reviews
Excellent book, it is wonderful if you are starting a 'no dig ' veg patch, 100% recommend it. Down to earth, simple instructions, you just can't fail

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware Duplicate Material, 15 Dec 2014
This book is a con. It is just the same material as Charles Dowding's Vegetable Course. Both the words and the pictures are identical, just rearranged a bit. If you already own the Vegetable Course then there is nothing new in this the Veg Journal. I am just glad I borrowed both books from the library before I parted with had earned cash for this "duplicate". It is a shame because Charles Dowding is a bit of a hero of mine and I believe he has a refreshing and useful approach to vegetable growing and I had expected better of him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this and grow your own - nuff said?, 12 July 2014
What can you say that represents sufficient praise for a man who has eliminated digging and most of the weeding from gardening and esp. growing your own veg? For those of us with the lazy gene, those who are slightly less strong than they were, he is our hero. Perhaps a statue in Trafalgar Square? a public holiday named after him - Dowding Day?
Oh well, calm down, perhaps just saying this is 'probably' the best gardening advice in the world and you should buy it before buying your first plug or seed is sufficient.
Recommended? Duh! of course!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›