Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 May 2013
I had no aspiration to ride in Belgium at all until this little number popped up in my Amazon recommendations. Having bought both of Simon Warren's previous books..how could I resist? But yet again he has created the perfect pocket guide to the gravitational ticklist any cyclist venturing towards Belgium should have. In fact I found this the most readable of his three guides with a decent amount of history thrown in with the climb detail. Simon needs a massive round of applause for taking on this project and us cyclists need to make it all worthwhile by ticking them all off and then waiting with bated breath for his next list (whilst begging for photos of cyclists on the climbs).
on 10 June 2013
Would recommend this book to anyone who has the urge to conquer some tough Belgian ascents!
Or perhaps to just read and dream of climbing them!
Its small enough to fit into a backpack or with some coaxing the back pocket of your cycle jersey/jacket

It has left me with an even greater respect for the riders who tackle the climbs and pavé, pros and amateurs.

Am now considering the other publications by Mr Warren but would really like to conquer Belgium first with the aid of this guide.
Maybe one day!
Thoroughly recommended.
on 8 July 2015
I live in Belgium and am a keen cyclist. This pocket sized guide is terrific and I will hunt down as many as the climbs as possible. However, as another reader has suggested, the omission of Triple Mur de Monty is a mystery as it puts other inclusions to shame; 2 days ago, before the TdeF came through, I rode Cote de Bohisseau (rated 6/10 by the author), the Cote D'Ereffe (2/10), Cote de Cherave (not included) and Mur de Huy (10/10). Cherave, which is not in the guide, was equally as tough as Mur de Huy for me, but neither of them had me close to dismounting which was certainly not the case when I tackled the Triple Mur de Monty! Debating the content of guide books is, of course, part of the fun and doubtless, in the case of Hellingen, this will take place within our group after a nasty climb and over one of Belgium's wonderful trappist beers. Great stuff!
on 10 October 2015
Excellent guide to the climbs of Vlaanderen & Wallonie. Having ridden/slipped/slid sideways/walked up some of these climbs, this book gives a very good guide to what to expect, even to the different types of cobbles on the different climbs in Vlaanderen. For the record, the climbs I covered last month were: Oude Kwaremont, Paterberg, Koppenberg and Kemmelberg. The book provided me with the essential information I needed: length of climb, maximum and average gradient and (most importantly!) length of the cobbled section and its location in the climb.
review image
on 10 April 2013
Just taken receipt of my Hellingen book.

I must admit I was doubtful of the subject matter due to my lack of understanding of the area, however just based on a quick flick through I reckon this might be the author's best one yet.

It's as much as guide to the history, cycling heritage and culture of the areas as it is a guide to the hills and should enhance my understanding of all the early season races of the region.

I'm off to find some cobbles...
on 25 April 2013
Although small in stature the book covers most of the famous Belgium climbs. You get a good description of the history and the technical details of the climbs. I particularly liked that you can tick off each climb once you've ridden them. There are some climbs that aren't included and for me one of the hardest climbs I have rode in Belgium has to be the Triple Muur de Monty just outside Namur. At 1.4K in length with a maximum gradient of 21.5% and an average of 9% it is a killer.
on 14 January 2016
Perfect for selecting the climbs for your Belgian pilgrimage. Fun sections break up the book like a spotter's guide to cobbles and some history on Flanders and Wallonia. It guided us up some of the most brilliant and fearsome ramps in cycling. Although some of the maps are a bit cryptic. I recommend getting a paper Michelin map too. Buy it and get yourself over there. Just don't forget your >25 mm tyres and gel handlebar tape!
on 7 July 2014
Ideal for my trip to Belgium to check out the fabled cobbled climbs.

Excellent description of each of the climbs with a maps that help you get to them.

The additional information of Flanders and Wallonia is a nice little bonus.
on 29 May 2016
Not the best in the series. If you are planning embarking on any of the Hell of the North routes it will be of interest. Some good background. Not keen on the samey photographs throughout.
on 4 October 2014
Fantastic pocket book, even you won't go to Belgium, but drink beer on the bench in the park and dream about be a pro cyclist;). Totally reccomended!!!