5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough and illuminating read
Published 11 months ago by Mr. C. M. Durham

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit average
Wonderful illustration on the front cover.

Buy this book if you have a vague interest in cycling facts. I thought it was ok as a tome of interesting tidbits but don't really refer to it on a regular basis.

Published 2 months ago by freespeaker101

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough and illuminating read, 16 Aug 2013
Mr. C. M. Durham (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cycling Science: How Rider and Machine Work Together (Hardcover)
I bought this book the other day and opened it tonight to dip in before getting on with some pressing tasks. I realised most of an evening had gone before I managed to put it down. The book is compelling, well laid out and the clear descriptions of some pretty complex science make it a breeze to read. I have cycled all of my life and now am mid-fifties but find I am learning plenty. It is all there, right from the fairly mundane through to leading edge technologies I had not dreamed of. I have always been cynical about suspension on a bike for example but I now understand the purpose and effect. The sections on frame geometry and body shape had me running to the garage with a tape measure to check my frame. The scope is ambitiously broad, covering not only all the stuff about the bike itself but also history and environmental considerations. I imagine it would sit comfortably on the shelves of any school science library too. All in all an excellent book I have no hesitation in recommending.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit average, 25 April 2014
Wonderful illustration on the front cover.

Don't buy this book if you want to use it for insights on how to ride better - rather buy Joe Friels "the cyclist training bible" if fairly serious about cycling (though this is quite heavy reading but rewrding and presumes you have a HRM as a minimum) or for a simpler accessible summary of training tips get Ben Hewitts Training techniques for cyclists

5.0 out of 5 stars Boffintastic Baby!, 25 Sep 2013
This book is superbly produced to illuminate your inquisitive mind all about, well Cycling Science. In depth enough to be informative, even for a pro mechanic like myself and simple enough to understand, even for a pro mechanic like myself! The pitch is spot on.

My 6 year old likes it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect coffee table book for cyclists., 25 Jun 2014
Mike (Cambridge,UK) - See all my reviews
Perfect coffee table book for cyclists, lots of interest, lots of information about what makes bikes what they are. It is techy but not hard to understand, in fact I wish it had more information and science in it. It's an interesting book rather than one that will change your cycling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good balance between science and infographics, 31 Mar 2014
Well I liked the book, I agree the engineering aspect is a bit weak (I am a mech eng major) but is that the purpose of this book? If you are after a rigorous treatment of the mechanics of cycling you should go read David Gordon Wilson Bicycling Science (get yourself a degree in mechanical engineering or physics). The book strikes the balance between science and infographics and that is why I like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 3 Mar 2014
Lots of technical information presented in everyday language with lots of graphs, charts and other drawings to illustrate each section.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very technical but a good read for a brainy cyclist, 17 Jan 2014
Good quality and explanations, certainly aimed for the adult cyclist that wants to know 'how it all works' and why...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun facts, 18 Nov 2013
An enjoyable book to 'dip in and out of' rather than a 'sit down and read cover to cover' sort of book. Full of interesting information and some of the science behind cycling and worth it if you're into this sort of thing. My only criticism is that personally I would prefer more depth to some of the articles.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the money, 6 Sep 2013
Beautifully produced - obviously a lot of good design gone into it. Lots of intriguing and well researched material. Not shy to go against accepted wisdom. It does run a difficult course between being too technical and not technical enough. On the whole I think it succeeds. The other reviewer's criticism that it is designed for a twelve year, is perhaps based on the opening pages; by page 30 the author is talking about the Bose-Einstein condensate and the Higgs Boson - surely not everyday reading material for the average 12 year old? The problem with the book is that cycling science is such a huge subject. The entire book could be written about one subject -say titanium - and still not be exhaustive. But as an introduction to cycling science with copious references for those who want to explore the subject further, this has to be the best book on the market

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for 12 year olds., 30 Aug 2013
I wouldn't recommend this book to a 12 year old. Not sure what the previous reviewers issue is but I wouldn't let it put you off getting this book. Luckily I saw a copy in a shop so could have a good look through it, confirming that it was actually well presented and informative. Definitely not a lightweight offering but not impenetrable either.

Cycling Science: How Rider and Machine Work Together
Cycling Science: How Rider and Machine Work Together by Max Glaskin (Hardcover - 1 May 2013)
13.60