on 25 September 2012
Having a growing hoard of holey jumpers and chipped cups and a vague idea to get creative with some fashionable 'upcycling' - this book has come just in time. Now I can follow the practical steps to make some lovely new stuff - all projects are explained clearly and are beautifly illustrated. Inspiring - handmade presents you would actually want to receive and tresasure.
on 13 November 2012
love your book!!

I thought I was already quite creative with re-crafting things into other useful things - but wow! so many awesome ideas - thank you! After a depressing day browsing a large department store, I decided to just visit a few charity shops instead and make christmas presents at home. I've already done the lampshade, the tie-pencil case and next up the sewing kit jam jar.... The lampshade is already up in our house and my husband thinks it's very stylish!

The best thing was that each of the items didn't take too long. Usually my craft-projects are weeks/months of planning and producing. But this book is a very refreshing and varied list of craft projects that can be done in a few hours, still with brilliant effect, and using the usual things most crafty person will have in the house anyway. The descriptions were simple to understand and the illustrations are just gorgeous!!!!

So this Christmas, gifts are either going to be handmade, or I'll be giving the buttonbag book itself!
on 11 November 2012
I am loving the resurgence of all things crafty and very much sold on the idea of recyling and upcycling, so this book should have ticked all the boxes, but I am sorry to say it was rather dissapointing.
The ideas are not particularly original (save for a couple - the lego clock is brill!).
Other projects are very basic and most certainly have that rough around the edges homemade look, and the book is largely filled with poor versions of projects easily found and more creatively executed on pinterest. The christmas decorations especially, are a joke, and the sort of thing children make at school.
I appreciate some would be readers might be beginners to craft, and are perhaps less intimidated by the amateur homemade look, if you consider yourself even remotely intermediate in sewing and crafts, this book will leave you deflated. I would actually recommend it for children and adolescents rather than adults, but even then, there are better and more inspiring books on the market for this age group.
The biggest let down though, was the photography. I think like many crafters, these kind of books are purchased as much for the eye candy as the practical direction and patterns. Had the former been more inspiring I may have been less inclined to rate this book so low. Many of the patterns have no photos at all and the illustrations are dull.
Even the writing is half hearted, the intro should have been fabulous, a brilliant opportunity to wax lyrical about the new craft movement and the joy (and reasons for!) using recycled materials in craft. Instead, there is a brief and boring waffle about how being cafty makes us feel good and balances out the use of gadgetry in the home, inspiring it is not!
If you really want a book about upcycling materials in craft, I would recommend Reinvention by Maya Donenfeld, Handmade Home by Amanda Soule and Granny Chic by Tif Fussell, all three have much more interesting projects and are beautifully written, with superb photography.
on 1 May 2013
Some very interesting ideas for up-cycling. I look forward to trying some of the projects which include knitting a rug from old tee-shirts and turning men's shirts into bunting and cushions.
on 1 April 2014
Well presented book with interesting ideas for reusing worn out clothing and smartening up old furniture. Instructions are clear and easy to follow
on 14 May 2013
there are some really good projects, well written but not enough real pictures, a lot of drawn pictures to illustrate.
on 21 October 2015
Had originally borrowed this book from the library and liked it so much decided I had to buy it. It's a fun book with great ideas of how to turn unwanted items into other things, with good step by step instructions. Inspired me to get my sewing box out.
on 3 February 2013
It was a gift for my daughter and she says its given her inspiration to get on and do things
on 3 December 2012
My husband bought me this book to inspire a bit of family making for our new house! There are lots of different fun projects, some more highly skilled and time consuming for an afternoon's concentration others are much quicker and easier. My 9 year old son, jumped up to make their very clever Lego clock!!!!
This book would appeal to those who horde bits and pieces and just need a bit of inspiration to breathe new life into them. It is great for older children who need a few funky ideas as accessories for their rooms and wardrobes.
I will be making paper pattern lampshades this holiday !!!
on 15 November 2012
Stayed up last night to make cards for all the birthdays that are coming up after being inspired by ReCraft. As a complete beginner I needed to start basic and work my way up to actual sewing projects. But I already have my eye on the Lego clock and the egg cosies and felt corsages don't look too difficult....I like the templates that suit lots of projects.
The drawings and photos are lovely and really helpful, so I will be buying a few more copies as Christmas presents for teenage nieces and family far away.