5.0 out of 5 stars A must have read for all visitors to Marrakesh!!
My boyfriend and I bought this beautiful book to learn a bit more about Marrakesh before our trip this April. Although the book is not intended as such, we ended up using it as a guide book and had a fabulous time.

Published 21 months ago by Florence Barbara

1.0 out of 5 stars marrackash coffee table book
A WONDERFUL SOUVENIER BRINGING BACK ENJOYED VISITS TO MARRAKESH-FULL BEUTIFULLY COLOURED PHOTOGRAPHS DEPICTING THE SIGHTS ANCIENT AND MODERN OF THIS CITY-
DESPATCHED AS PREDICTED AND PROMISED-WELL PACKED TOO.NO PROBLEMS BUT RECOMMENDED.
Published 13 months ago by GEOFFREY COTTERELL

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have read for all visitors to Marrakesh!!, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Gardens of Marrakesh (Hardcover)

The author presents a total of 20 gardens in and around Marrakesh, ranging from Palace Gardens to Public Parks, Grand Hotel Gardens and the most famous of all, the Majorelle Garden, restored by Yves St Laurent and his partner.
We managed to visit most of them in the 7 days we were there and reading the book really helped unlock the charm in each of them. The photos are stunning and the text is beautifully written and easy to read. Each garden has a story of its own, some of which were really quite fascinating!

Walking around the souks and the Jemaa el Fna is good fun but the gardens are definitely the true gem of Marrakesh!

I would highly recommend this book to anyone planning to visit Marrakesh, to anyone who has visited Marrakesh and to anyone who can't afford/doesn't have time to visit Marrakesh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a coffee table book, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Gardens of Marrakesh (Hardcover)
Though this beautiful volume would grace any coffee table, attract and absorb your visitors...
This is so much more than a picture book however, and I urge you to read the text. You will find there a rich and interesting blend of travel, history and culture; a deep empathy and understanding of Marrakesh and its people that makes you want to set off tomorrow to explore.
Many visitors find Marrakesh overwhelming. Angelica Gray offers us a way to enjoy this beautiful, exciting and vibrant city by laying out stepping stones of tranquil oases where we can rest and replenish ourselves. It will certainly be in my bag next time I visit this wonderful city.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 July 2014
Lovely and inspiring

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 11 Sept. 2013
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gardens of Marrakesh (Hardcover)
With its fabulous photographs by Alessio Mei, this is a sumptuous book that will entice you to sit back in your armchair and dream of Marrakech (I prefer this spelling) gardens. Colour is what hits you in the eye and I do so love colour. The wondrous light and the often simple style of gardening that is so effective. I have wanted to travel to Morocco for many years, and this book has in one way fulfilled a yearning because I feel that I now know the gardens. Yet on the other hand, it has re-kindled my earnest desire to see the gardens in person. The book covers the different areas of Marrakech and includes gardens in the walled city and outside. Some of the gardens will be familiar whether or not you have travelled to this part of Africa. Is there anyone in the gardening world who has not heard of the Majorelle Gardens and its famous blue paint? However, you will most likely discover more gardens you have not heard of than ones you know. The author has achieved a balance in writing about a familiar subject but imparting the right amount of information about each garden. The photography is stunning and really makes the book. There are twenty gardens in all - each an oasis of its own. Some of the gardens are open to the pubic, others belong to Riads or hotels and you would need to drink at the bar or order food to see the gardens. Admission details are given at the back of the book. This book is simply beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique blend of history, image and insight, 18 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Gardens of Marrakesh (Hardcover)
I have not been to Marrakesh as yet and, have no real knowledge of gardens. This book, which had been recommended to me, has opened my eyes on several levels. The photographs build strong perceptions layer after layer and the text carries the reader along on a quite magical carpet of real insight springing from sound research. There is more, several ideas - like the riad - are explained and then, a contemporary relevance is suggested and developed.

This book should be the platform for more - and I do hope that Angelica will take her inspiration elsewhere. Clearly, gardens open us up to much more than species, colour and shapes. They reflect cultures in profound ways and this book should be the first of several to explore this theme. Marrakesh is on my list to visit - and this book promises to be well thumbed. Angelica Gray is a writer I will follow closely as a trusted guide in terms of ideas as well as place. Terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational and escapist !!, 17 Jun. 2013
Chris Templer (Norfolk ,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gardens of Marrakesh (Hardcover)
I love Marrakesh , and this beautiful book captures the essence of the gardens there .For me it is a wonderful souvenir of the gardens of the city , and an inspiration . If you have never been there , and love gardening it will inspire you to go , and if like me you have fond memories of the city it will cheer you on a grey British day !

5.0 out of 5 stars Gardens of Marrakesh, 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Gardens of Marrakesh (Hardcover)
Wonderful book well researched and well written. Covers the history, culture and present day evolution of the gardens of Marrakesh. I'm now planning to visit some of these gardens in the Spring having been inspired by this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book! Even better if had been delivered on time!, 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Gardens of Marrakesh (Hardcover)
I ordered this book from Amazon prior to going to Marrakesh on holiday, so that we could enjoy reading it on holiday, and choosing which garden to visit each day.

Despite agreeing to pay a substantial premium for a timed and dated delivery, Amazon failed to deliver it by 1pm on the date they offered and promised. We departed the following morning to the airport, and in fact never got to see the book until we returned home.

Amazon took the rather eccentric stance that we should not rely on their delivery date+time promise, when it might be a tight schedule for us. Apparently I should have been willing to expect a delay, even though I might be paying a delivery premium that was over half the price of the book. I have never come across an airline that takes this view (ie. "don't rely on us taking off the date indicated on your ticket").

Either my experience is so rare, that Amazon should have been willing to put things right (as they claim they aspire to do) by delivering the book to Marrakesh. We asked Amazon to do this. That would have helped us enjoy our holiday. Delivering anywhere in the world is one of the things Amazon is famous for.

Or my experience is far too common for Amazon to be able to afford to do this.... In which case, they should review their idea of a Delivery Date+Time Commitment, for which they charge a handsome premium.

1.0 out of 5 stars marrackash coffee table book, 22 Dec. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Book, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Gardens of Marrakesh (Hardcover)
A book to take you to exotic gardens, transport you to the lush planting and delights of Marrakesh. A wonderful book for a special present.

Gardens of Marrakesh
Gardens of Marrakesh by Angelica Gray (Hardcover - 4 April 2013)