Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 November 2013
Visiting landscaped gardens is a pasttime many people enjoy. The UK is blessed with many such places that we can explore and which show us the characteristics of garden design across the centuries. So often we covet medieval, Tudor, Georgian and Victorian gardens, to the point that many people today ape their designs in new gardens. It's a bit like architectural design: contemporary designers choose to copy Victorian and Edwardian buildings rather than create something bold and striking for today. And that's a pity. What legacy will the twentieth and twenty-first century leave?
This book (and it's a big, heavy one!) shows us what and celebrates contemporary design. It is packed with names of gardens that to many - even those well versed with gardens - are new. What quickly becomes clear is that there is plenty of imaginative and compelling design in new gardens and they can be just as good as their more established forebears. Credit must go to Andrew Lawson, the photographer too, whose images do much to convey the wonder and beauty in these sometimes secret places.
There's variety here too: from the small scale (the Living Wall Garden of the Athenaeum Hotel) through the rapidly evolving Olympic Park in London (I'm writing this in 2013 as it's undergoing it's transformation) to the exciting (in my eyes) Througham Court.
This is the archetypal 'coffee table' book, but to call it that would be to do it a disservice. I'd call it a landmark book, a book that both visually and descriptively defines gardening in the early twenty-first century. If that sound a bit pompous or earnest, then ignore those comments and just sit back and enjoy this as an enjoyable book. It's well produced and put together too, so I can recommend it unreservedly.
on 26 October 2013
everything about this book is first rate- excellent photography and print quality- with a really informative tour around English gardens
on 17 January 2014
I gave this to my sister (a keen and creative gardener) for Christmas, so this is indirect feedback: she absolutely adores it. "Inspiring without being daunting" would sum up her reaction.
on 14 April 2014
what a wonderful book .. and what a brilliant way of showing great gardens -

the author doesn't simply show you great gardens - no - he actually shows you each garden in all seasons ...as how they look in their best as well in the dormant season....

BRILLIANT !!!!

on top this book is inspirational and gives you great new ideas!
on 10 January 2014
I bought this book for my son for Christmas, had seen it recommended in a daily paper, so went on line and found it at half the price of the one in the daily. Delivery excellent and well wrapped. It is a beautiful book and my son is pleased with it, and says you find it hard to put down.
on 28 July 2014
I purchased this book as a birthday present for my Mother, a keen gardener who lives in New Zealand. She is well read in quality gardening books. She's found The New English Garden book excellent and inspirational. So inspiring that she's replanted several parts of her garden as a result.

I would not hesitate to recommend this book as a present for a keen gardener.
on 8 March 2014
Excellent book with some inspirational photographs. Tim Richardson has also produced a very honest review of each of the gardens in a very conversational manner. This is a book I will go back to time and again. I have already looked to incorporate some of the ideas into my own garden.
on 7 February 2014
This is a beautiful book with stunning pictures of one of my favourite gardens, Gresgarth, nr Caton. There are many interesting designs, both contemporary and traditional, from Dan Pearson, Tom Stuart Smith and wildflowers at the Olympic Park in 2012. Andrew Lawson's photographs provide ideas for future planting.
on 25 September 2014
This was a present for my mum and she absolutely loves it. Amazing photographs and a versatile collection of gardens. It's a very thick and heavy book, we took it abroad for the birthday celebration, I was worried about excess luggage costs!
on 30 December 2013
If you love gardens and are looking for a great coffee table book or present this is it! Tim Richardson has picked some wonderful gardens to write about and the photographs are beautiful. Well written and worth every penny,