‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy Successor, 10 May 2012
Dave Barter - See all my reviews
This review is from: Another 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills (Paperback)
Simon has the formula exactly right for this series of books. No waffle, just another 100 climbs to tick off. The book is the perfect size with just the right amount of information for each hill.

However, I am particularly gutted that he has released this as I had just managed 60 from the last book and now my quest is made all the harder. The only downside is the pictures, which I think would definitely have benefited from having riders in them. Well done for another great guide, and I expect it won't be the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the first one, then you will like this one too, 26 April 2012
S. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
Many of the 'missing' climbs are now included in this second volume of another 100 greatest cycling climbs, from all around the UK, and this time the Isle of Man too.

The book is presented in the same manner as volume one, which makes it an easy to pick up read.

The only thing I would have added would have been how much traffic uses the road in question, as one in my locality is a very busy and fast road. Climbing that hill while being passed by cars doing 50+ uphill isn't pleasant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to some tough climbs, 4 May 2012
Set in regional sections, this book provides detailed descriptions of the toughest climbs in each region.

Having climbed a number of these before getting the book I was immeadiately impressed by the accuracy and detail included. For the climbs I hadn't tried; after reading the reviews I felt more knowledgeable but a tad scared of what was to be; when I set off to try them!!!

I agreed with most ratings but felt some of the shorter, steeper ones on poor road conditions were due a higer rating. Overall a recommended reference point for any serious road cyclists book shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, but still a thoroughly entertaining and useful book., 18 Jan. 2015
OK, I like this series of books and now we have 200 climbs it is a bit more exhaustive now. Maybe there will be a third edition? It's a nice idea, but does it need to be pocket sized? who actually takes this out on the road? Although in someways maybe this is part of the books charm. But, if it was bigger it could have more info, better maps and descriptions of the rides from other routes where applicable. I mean surely the reverse routes over the Wynrose / Hardkott pass could be added and rated seperately - there is no way Wynrose from the west is anywhere nears as brutal as from the east! But it does have a few more interesting climbs and a few beauty's like Great Dun Fell that never made volume 1. I am slightly jealous of the author for coming up with this idea, I mean what a great book to research for any keen cyclist. It is not as good as volume one in terms of climbs, but given that I can't give 3 and a half stars i'll round it up.
I also have one suggestion if there is to be a further voulme, why not pick some of the best rides in the areas? Like for instance, I live in leicestershire and ask anyone the hardest / longest climbs and they probably mention Beacon Hill or Breedon-on-the-hill (short and steep). These do not feature. I know that we won't have climbs like Cumbria, but maybe a little more focus on the areas with less hills might be worthwhile - talking to members of cycle clubs in the various ares would help this.
I have added a photo of the book by a 6 x 4 inch photo and cd remote for scale purposes - enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same ... no harm in going back for more, 11 May 2013
It covers some more of the best cycle climbs in the UK. Still a couple of my favourites not showing up but there are hundreds of hills to ride bikes up so doubtless there will be more books to follow.
I tried one of the hills from the first book (Rawson's Rake) and probably rate it a mark lower than Simon (it is a short sharp shock of a lump) so I'm interested to see how these pan out.
I'm planning a LeJoG (Lands End - John o'Groats) in July 2013 and have sketched in some of the hills from these books ... yeah that's right I'm cycling over 1000 miles and looking for hills to make it harder ... so if you think you might be that kind of daft then these books will be for you ;-)
Oh Amazon-wise it turned up in as good time and condition as ever

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good as the First Book, 28 Dec. 2012
I loved the first book and this one is just as good.
The only negative is that Simon Warren tries to get the whole country covered...the East Anglian climbs are really not worthy of being included. The other 98 are excellent choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel, 1 Oct. 2013
I have the first Greatest Climbs & the follow up is just as informative & full of great challenges. Simon's passion for climbing shines through & is worryingly contagious. Would like to say that I have done all 200 climbs, or even a respectable percentage, but I am a long way short of that. What the books have done, is encouraged me to study maps of my local area looking for climbs which has resulted in a splendid summer of cycling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb little book, 3 Feb. 2013
Bought both books at the same time, pleasing to find one climb I'd already done. Wanted to see what else was in the area. Book comes with great pictures and an informative breakdown. Serves a great purpose if you're looking to ride in other areas, be great to tick them all off one day!

I'd personally like to see these grow into expanded versions for each region. 100 climbs in Derbyshire would be fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenge!, 12 Sept. 2013
Hoping to do more my total of three before I'm much older (72 years!) Bealach Maim is next, before winter?

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 more steeps bits for inspiration, 21 Jun. 2012
I really love this book and the previous volume. They're great armchair inspiration for planning rides. The photography is great and I keep annoying my family now as I'm always wanting to take my bike with us wherever we go. Plus, in the new volume there are a couple of hills in my local area, one of which gets 10/10 (which is a relief as I've always though bushcombe lane was an absolute beast!)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›