5.0 out of 5 stars I can't belive no-one has done this before!
Published on 3 Jun 2010 by Mr. A. K. Waterman

2.0 out of 5 stars Scotland is like Holland
Published on 22 Mar 2012 by Campbell Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't belive no-one has done this before!, 3 Jun 2010
This review is from: 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills (Paperback)
What a fantastic book! As the title says, I can't believe it's taken this long for a book like this to hit the market. I haven't really got a lot to add to the other reviews beyond saying that 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs is a really good size which you can acually fit in your pocket - not always a given - and that the information is presented in such a way as to be genuinely useful - for instance, maps you can actually read but which aren't so large as to infringe upon the rest of the information.

The photos are excellent, the information is well presented and the book is the ideal size - I can see myself referring to 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational little book, 11 Jun 2010
Coming back to cycling after atwenty month lay off due to illness, I treated myself to this book. I live in the North West of England and as such have the pleasure of having a few of these climbs on my doorstep. Although I've done quite a few of them before I've found the book is good at helping me to decide where a days ride should be.

It's a lovely perfectly sized book, with the authors passion for climbing really shining through. I loved the line about climbs being the stadia for cyclists. As previously mentioned by other reviewers the tick list is a great little touch and although I've done most of my local climbs a few times I'm not ticking them off until I've done them again.

One slight addition that would maybe have been helpful, would've been the inclusion of a list of contact numbers for tourist information, hostels etc for each region although this info is available on the internet it would be handy having it all in one place if you are planning a trip away to visit any of the locations.

Oh and there is a mistake on Hardknott and Wrynose passes. Jubilee Bridge is to the West of Hardknott and Fellfoot Farm is to the East of Wyrnose. A simple mistake but would mean that you haven't done the climbs intended if you followed the directions in the book.

Other than that one of the best cycling guides I've seen in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The challenge is set!, 2 Jun 2010
Angela Nicholson (UK) - See all my reviews
Most cyclists love a challenge and this book has a hundred of them!

100 Greatest Cycling Climbs is broken into sections by UK region, with a page dedicated to describing each hill climb, along with a one-page facing photo, so you know what you are going to be tackling. There's a simple, clear map to help you find the climb and most have a profile that indicates the steepness of each section and the location of any key landmarks.

The inclusion of a checklist to allow you to tick-off the hills as they are conquered is a really nice touch.

It's any easy, inspiring read that makes you want to hit those hills. Surely this is set to become a big seller amongst all road cyclists and sportive lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 2 Sep 2010
Dr. B. C. Burrows "Prof Plums" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
Great little book, love the layout and all the info you need is there, the only upsetting element is when you read your local big hill is a 3/10 and should take 8 minutes to get up....well not for me :-)

Really is a good little book and can help to plan trips if you like punishing your thighs....don't we all?

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy book for any road cyclist, 24 Feb 2011
Mr. Joseph M. Pike "joe_damage" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent resource for any cyclist keen on pitting themselves against some decent hills around Britain. Whilst we don't have any climbs on an alpine scale there are still some very good climbs to be found and this book documents, as the title suggests, 100 of them on a regional basis.

The layout of the book is clean and the accompanying text and images are clear and concise. The only thing I would suggest is that it would have been useful to add the average hill gradient to the ascent and distance, it is fairly easy to make these calculations with some basic mathematics but I still think it would have been handy. I do find the difficulty rating is fairly useful though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wishful thinking for me, 20 Nov 2010
Amazon Customer (West Coast of Scotland) - See all my reviews
I saw this book mentioned on various blogs and bought it out of curiosity. I'm glad that I did as it is a very interesting read and gives an insight into someone who is far a far better (roadie) cyclist than I will ever be.

The descriptions are good and have little comments that really 'gelled' with me. I was pleasantly surprised to find the book was almost pocket sized, although not sure why. Reading this made me want to try the hardest hill in there - rated at 11/10! I did it but much more slowly than the author.

Some of the climbs show a side-on view of the climb, and all show a factfile of where it is and how to get there. If you like cycling, especially if you're a 'roadie', then this book will be of interest and will make you want to venture out to these picturesque places. Perhaps even pit yourself against the author for time taken to get up the hills.

I gave this 5 stars because, quite simply, I liked the book. It serves no particular purpose but is nice to flick through on a winter's evening when I am thinking about where we'll go next Summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring - get ready to plan weekends away, 22 Sep 2010
S. P. Taylor "Si Taylor" (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a late thirties cyclist who happened upon this book - I sense checked some of the North West climbs with my bro-in-law (successful triathlete) and he agreed the gradings were sound and accurate. Great write-ups for the climbs and the technique/punishment of the act of climbing itself. Lets face it, even as a 6'1" 15st bloke its still the imagery of climbing that is the essence of cycling and that you measure your buzz/level by.
Now just need to either re-locate or plan those weekends away as Northants......has not got a lot of hills !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Sep 2010
Fantastic book - I've done most of the Kent + Surrey climbs and am now inspired to go further afield. A really warm and engaging series of climb notes and anecdotes. If, like me, you're drawn to the hills like a moth to a flame, then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great pocket book, 28 Jun 2010
I`m a keen cyclist and always up for challenge so when i saw this book advertised it was a must have.It`s pocket sized with 174 pages with a photograph of each climb and plenty of facts even down to the quality of the road surface.Suprisingly accurate information on the 12 or so hills i know in the south east.I realise there are many more climbs that could of been included( there`s none in Cornwall).In fact the author could probably write a second book on another 100 climbs in the UK.Overall highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Scotland is like Holland, 22 Mar 2012
The writing is good and the descriptions are concise and useful...but ( and this is a massive BUT). Apparently, fourteen of the greatest climbing roads are in the South East and only seven in the whole of Scotland. The most populous part of the country seems to be the most mountainous, whilst Scotland is as flat as Norfolk. Mr. Warren seems to be writing from the position of sales and not from the truth.

100 Greatest Cycling Climbs: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills