5.0 out of 5 stars No Harlech!?, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Welsh Coast (Hardcover)
What about Harlech? My favourite, Chariots of Fire, slow motion in the shallows with Vangelis moment. Miles of sand to myself, sea to the left, dunes to the right, looking at Snowdon looming above Portmeirion. How come it doesn't make it into a book of photos celebrating the Welsh coast?

Well, the photographer does say at the outset that he was not seeking a .... `collection of postcard images. Sometimes, therefore, the more familiar locations have taken a back seat to some of the less visited, often overlooked, places which in my opinion deserve to be given greater recognition.'

As I page through the beautiful book I recognise a few of the scenes, old friends in a new light, but the staggering discovery is a world of so many landscapes on my doorstep that I was blind to. Dried up mudflats that look like tapestry or mosaic, images titled `avenues of pebbles',' colourful coves', `precious gemstone rock' and so on. I must look closer next time I'm out on the coast and see them for myself.

There are names of places that I need to visit but I absolutely must get to Caerfai Bay to see the red sandstone, it looks like a wrinkly monster rising out of the sand. It's similar to the red stone in the neighbouring bay used in the building of St David's Cathedral.

Having got over the shock of no Harlech beach I think it's a great book - if I was to nitpick there are a couple of slightly outmoded place names, like Caernarvon and Conway, which I thought had slipped into history. But the images are perfection and that's what you're buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable coffee table book, 27 May 2011
Andre (TURRIFF, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Welsh Coast (Hardcover)
I received this as a Christmas gift from a close friend as she knows this is the kind of thing I like.

To be honest I don't know a whole lot about professional photography, I'm more of a point and click kind of a bloke, but even I can tell when a photograph is wonderful to look at and installs emotion in you.

The book is essentially some wonderful photographs of well, as the title suggests, the Welsh coastline along with some well thought out descriptions throughout.

This is the kind of book that's great to keep on your coffee table and flick through from time to time for a happy half an hour on a rainy day, and it's brought me much enjoyment fulfilling that very role.

It's a welcome addition to my coffee table collection and I'm most tempted to check out some of Mr Waton's other titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable work, 27 May 2011
This review is from: The Welsh Coast (Hardcover)
I have never been disappointed with any of the Peter Watson's book, and this one is no exception. The only difference with Peter's other books is perhaps the fact that this is not an intructional read, nonetheless the photography is striking, compositions at their best. The welsh coast no doubt offers lots of opportunities, and I think the author has done incredibly well with his portraying of this land and I am looking forward to similar publication! No doubt a great purchase for any 'classic' british landscape afficionado.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Welsh Coast, Peter Watson, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Welsh Coast (Hardcover)
This is a stunning book. The photographs are superb and I guess will be an eye opener to anyone who thinks they know the Welsh coast. The sheer beauty and variety of the pictures is breathtaking. This is a book to linger over and return to time and time again.

The Welsh Coast
The Welsh Coast by Peter Watson (Hardcover - 6 Jan 2011)