Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 April 2009
When I entered the bookshop, this book jumped off the shelf at me. It is a coffee table book full of beautiful photos of teenagers being outdoors building shelters, hanging around camp fires, making weapons and exploring the local areas. For any parents wanting to get their older children off the couch and away from a screen then this is an inspirational introduction.

However, this book really is only an introduction. If you have been a scout or girl guide then you may well be familiar with most of the activities covered here. Bushcraft experts and outdoor enthusiasts should stay with Ray Mears and Tom Brown's books. You may also argue some of the specifics of the advice given in some chapters.

I think if you are in the process of becoming a forest school leader or thinking about becoming one, then this book would be a useful starting point for ideas and activities. The safety aspects are discussed in a reassuring way which is helpful.

I hope this book will be the one of many more to come, which allow more young people to experience the joys of being outside in a natural environment.
on 3 June 2009
Great follow up book to Natures PLayground, bursting with ideas & springboards. Although it does include some of the more traditional earth education ideas, which are commonly used - so not all new ideas. Nice visual book though.
on 27 December 2010
I brought this book to keep my children busy in the garden through the summer. i was initially a bit disappointed as it describes how to go fishing etc. well beyond the garden! But the book came up trumps in the recent snow when my children's friends came around and spent the entire day making an igloo having apparently read about how to do it in this book, making bricks by filling plastic containers then making 'mortar' out of the snow.

Altogether the idea's in the book cannot be achieved in a suburban garden , but it is written in a way which engages and sticks, and you never know when it will be useful!
on 7 August 2013
My son loves this book, and is working his way down the list of 101 things to do outdoors - great present for a young lad, especially one that's into Bear Grills!
on 13 October 2009
As a child in the 1950's I did many, if not all of these activities. I have two grandchildren who will love to read about and do the things detailed in this great little book.

The parental fear of anything slightly dangerous or challenging is robbing a new generation of all the fun we had. Lighting cooking fires, using a penknife, making rope swings and camping without our parents always there to stop us, were the joys of childhood that taught us lessons for the rest of our lives.

Todays cottonwool wrapped children are missing out on so much fun. I recomend this book to all parents. Their children might end up needing a band-aid applied to a cut knee or burnt finger-end but they will enjoy themselves.
on 28 November 2011
This is a fantastic book with very bright and useful photos accompanying it. I bought the book to use as inspiration in my role as a teacher developing the outdoor learning and forest school opportunities in my primary school and it has proved to be a great help.
on 30 September 2009
This book was spot on for my requirements - it has great readability and the photographs are very clear. Some super ideas that really releases the inner child!
This really does hark back to the good old days of 20 - 25 years ago when children could go out and have fun without an adult being too close; learning from their mistakes (who amongst us has not broken a bone or been stung by a nettle when we were young?!). We created our own dynamic risk assessments - sadly lacking in this day of virtual reality, where mishaps don't hurt until you do it to someone else in the real world, without the lack of empathy that comes of having experienced it for real for yourself. In this book you will discover the delights of solving real problems and the great feeling that comes of 'having done it yourself' - for REAL.
Fantastic.
on 30 August 2013
How to have good fun outside, just like we did when we were children. A great gift for those who want to be outside with their children, nieces, nephews or grandchildren but don't know where to start as well as those looking for more inspiration.
on 21 April 2016
Absolutely fantastic book. My nine year old received it along with the 'Real Adventure Den Kit' and spent the whole weekend playing Bear Grylls. Loads of great ideas which she completed all by herself and cant wait to do more. Some ideas are more extreme but with parental support and guidance we hope to complete most of the 101 things!! (Eventually!!)
on 12 November 2014
I was happy untill we got to the section with the mutilated animals. I do not think young children should be encouraged to kill animals at all. Really disappointed. My little boy was not very happy after seeing this. Partly my fault for not checking through the whole book. But I would expect a warning for those kind of images. A half skinned rabbit. Dead birds. Not cool.