5.0 out of 5 stars Wild, Wonderful and Wicked
Published on 5 April 2009 by Juliet Robertson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite as Described by the Title
The title of the book implies that it is written for children/teens. However, it's aimed at their parents. This was supposed to be a gift for my nephew, but I ended up giving it to his mum
Published 1 month ago by Hazel W.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild, Wonderful and Wicked, 5 April 2009
This review is from: Go Wild!: 101 Things To Do Outdoors Before You Grow Up (Paperback)
When I entered the bookshop, this book jumped off the shelf at me. It is a coffee table book full of beautiful photos of teenagers being outdoors building shelters, hanging around camp fires, making weapons and exploring the local areas. For any parents wanting to get their older children off the couch and away from a screen then this is an inspirational introduction.

However, this book really is only an introduction. If you have been a scout or girl guide then you may well be familiar with most of the activities covered here. Bushcraft experts and outdoor enthusiasts should stay with Ray Mears and Tom Brown's books. You may also argue some of the specifics of the advice given in some chapters.

I think if you are in the process of becoming a forest school leader or thinking about becoming one, then this book would be a useful starting point for ideas and activities. The safety aspects are discussed in a reassuring way which is helpful.

I hope this book will be the one of many more to come, which allow more young people to experience the joys of being outside in a natural environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 21 Sep 2010
My son, brother,husband and I were all fighting to get our hands on this. Great pictures and so many inspiring outdoors projects. Really inspiring for outdoors adventures.A great introduction to bushcraft, makes it seem far more accessible, though I think you would need a more detailed guide or expert to successfully achieve a number of the things suggested.

4.0 out of 5 stars Go Wild.....i have!, 3 Jun 2009
L. Kennedy - See all my reviews
Great follow up book to Natures PLayground, bursting with ideas & springboards. Although it does include some of the more traditional earth education ideas, which are commonly used - so not all new ideas. Nice visual book though.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for dreaming and some real idea's!, 27 Dec 2010
L. northover "Lisa" (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
I brought this book to keep my children busy in the garden through the summer. i was initially a bit disappointed as it describes how to go fishing etc. well beyond the garden! But the book came up trumps in the recent snow when my children's friends came around and spent the entire day making an igloo having apparently read about how to do it in this book, making bricks by filling plastic containers then making 'mortar' out of the snow.

Altogether the idea's in the book cannot be achieved in a suburban garden , but it is written in a way which engages and sticks, and you never know when it will be useful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for your grandchildren, 30 Aug 2013
How to have good fun outside, just like we did when we were children. A great gift for those who want to be outside with their children, nieces, nephews or grandchildren but don't know where to start as well as those looking for more inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 7 Aug 2013
My son loves this book, and is working his way down the list of 101 things to do outdoors - great present for a young lad, especially one that's into Bear Grills!

5.0 out of 5 stars Go wild!, 28 Nov 2011
This is a fantastic book with very bright and useful photos accompanying it. I bought the book to use as inspiration in my role as a teacher developing the outdoor learning and forest school opportunities in my primary school and it has proved to be a great help.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let them experience the things we did, 13 Oct 2009
K. Riley (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As a child in the 1950's I did many, if not all of these activities. I have two grandchildren who will love to read about and do the things detailed in this great little book.

The parental fear of anything slightly dangerous or challenging is robbing a new generation of all the fun we had. Lighting cooking fires, using a penknife, making rope swings and camping without our parents always there to stop us, were the joys of childhood that taught us lessons for the rest of our lives.

Todays cottonwool wrapped children are missing out on so much fun. I recomend this book to all parents. Their children might end up needing a band-aid applied to a cut knee or burnt finger-end but they will enjoy themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Wild and be a child again, 30 Sep 2009
mnbv (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
This book was spot on for my requirements - it has great readability and the photographs are very clear. Some super ideas that really releases the inner child!
This really does hark back to the good old days of 20 - 25 years ago when children could go out and have fun without an adult being too close; learning from their mistakes (who amongst us has not broken a bone or been stung by a nettle when we were young?!). We created our own dynamic risk assessments - sadly lacking in this day of virtual reality, where mishaps don't hurt until you do it to someone else in the real world, without the lack of empathy that comes of having experienced it for real for yourself. In this book you will discover the delights of solving real problems and the great feeling that comes of 'having done it yourself' - for REAL.
Fantastic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite as Described by the Title, 12 July 2014

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Go Wild!: 101 Things To Do Outdoors Before You Grow Up
Go Wild!: 101 Things To Do Outdoors Before You Grow Up by Jo Schofield (Paperback - 2 April 2009)
11.89