on 21 January 2009
Those familiar with Joe Cornish's work are likely to have already read his previous titles First Light: A Landscape Photographer's Art and Scotland's Coast: A Photographer's Journey.

First Light is a guide on how Joe approaches his photography. It includes photos from all over the world and has an extensive commentary on each photo explaining what was special about each location and how he's learned to improve over the years.

Scotland's Coast is less of guide to photography and more about what Joe finds inspirational about Scotland's Coast. Limiting himself to Scotland's 6,000 mile-long coastline over a short period of time the light is less than ideal on many photos, but you can still see the quality shine through, page after page.

With this book Joe limits himself even further - to just a 50 mile stretch of Northumberland's coastline. As a result the book is slimmer (128 pages) than the previous two (160 pages). The commentary is also significantly reduced, which is a great pity; the previous two books are packed with useful information about each location and his musings often increase the intensity of the emotional impact of each image.

So, with a reduction in size and commentary, is this book still worth buying? Undoubtedly - yes! Anyone familiar with this coastline will not fail to be astounded by the quality of images he has managed to collect from this tiny section (0.5%) of the UK's coastline. I thought I was familiar with Northumberland's coast, but having read this I realised I'd only scratched the surface. Beautiful scretches of beach at Ross Sands and Cheswick & Goswick Sands, rock formations at Cullernose Point and Howick had all been overlooked by me for the last 20 years. Having bought this I've changed all that and a completely new Northumberland has been opened to my eyes.

I'm sure that if you have an interest in Northumberland or photography you will not be disappointed with this purchase.
on 10 March 2009
After having purchased 'First Light' and 'Scotlands Coast', a book based upon Northumberland I felt was going to be a hit. Joe is considered to be one of, if not, the best landscape photographer in Britain, and yet despite this 'tag' to his name, this book has left me feeling numb and bored.

The book is no where as descriptive as the others, with a few sections having more detailed text about the areas photographed than others. Otherwise the photographs have very minimal text if not, no text at all.

This really is a picture book in the sense of the words, and yet does not live up to the quality associated with it. Maybe more like 'coffee table book' would be better suited. I can see this book in doctors waiting rooms, rather than being kept carefully in someones photography book collection.

The photographs are printed on a relatively decent paper, however it is not up to the standard of other books. Clarity and sharpness are not quite as expected, and the images do not leap from the pages as with Joe's other books. This obviously is not down to Joe, however, the publishers Francis Lincoln could of achieved a better quality I am sure. This is probably down to the low selling price of the book, and maybe is not being aimed at photography buffs, but rather the general public?

This book doesn't cover camera techniques, filtration, composition etc etc so anyone desiring this will be disappointed, however there are a few pages at the back detailing camera and film choice only.

I don't think this book engages the viewer through the photographs, and many of them are, well, rather boring? Joe is an extremely competent photographer as most know, but there is a slight feeling that even though the book showcases some unpublished work, you come away feeling, what was the real purpose of publishing such a book? It doesn't have the integrity of past works, and the photographs have that 'same, Joe Cornish' style and look throughout. I can't help but feel that this is dull? I desire more from such a well known respected photographer, like monochromes perhaps, just something different than just 'near foreground, 30/70 compositions!

Was this book just for the money? Who knows...It could of been so much better.
on 21 April 2011
As a keen ameteur photographer and a regular visitor to the northumberland coast myself I was keen to purchase this book - I was not disappointed its fabulous. The photographs are stunning and very inspiring. The narrative is also full of very interesting facts about the area a lot of which I did not know. There is a section at the end giving all the technical information about how each photograph was taken. I love this book. It is well worth the money and I would advise anybody who loves photographs and photography to purchase it.
on 16 July 2010
I bought this book after moving to Northumberland and having previously bought Cornish's excellent First Light.

I was particularly keen on inspiration for places to visit with my camera, and the book certainly serves that really well. The only reason I mark it down as four stars and not five is that unlike First Light there is much less discussion of technique - in particular in First Light the end of the book has thumbnails of each photo alongside details such as focal length, shutter speed and f-stop used in taking the image, whereas this book only gives you much more basic info.

All in all though it is crammed with extraordinary images from one of the UK's master landscape photographers and is a great collection of photos and introduction to the region.
on 13 August 2008
Those familiar with his work won't be in for any surprises here.
It's good stuff but, maybe because the subject matter isn't always as dramatic, not as inspiring as Scotland's Coast: A Photographer's Journey or his first book First Light: A Landscape Photographer's Art.
In summary - very good but if you don't have the others, get them first.
on 28 February 2009
For anyone who has an interest in photography or a love of Northumberland this is the book for you.
Page after page of beautiful images of this unique area with its castles,seascapes and that special light,
Joe Cornish has captured it all.
on 3 January 2011
Northumberland - county of rugged coastlines and impressive castles as well as home to Lindisfarne, the cradle of Christianity.

This book contains a selection of photographs from Joe Cornish, its starts in Berwick and heads down the coast to the Tyne. As someone who visits the area on a regular basis, this is a stunning reminder of the dramatic landscape. There are some beautiful picures and they are very well presented. I would, though have liked a little more commentary. There are a few notes accompanying a handful of pictures but they are rather too brief.

This is the first book that I have bought by Joe Cornish and I would certainly keep a look out for others. Simply styled and nice to peruse on a cold afternoon.
VINE VOICEon 18 December 2014
Images taken by a Master Photographer in one of the most stunning places in the World. I have been to the locations in this book many times and whilst reading the book and looking at the images I imaging myself standing where the photograph was taken from. I have in the past taken some stunning images myself from these locations (it's hard not to take good images there) but new angles and advice on timing are always helpful. This book can be used for inspiration or just as a really good quality coffee table book to browse through. I cannot think of anything not to like about it.
on 15 October 2015
This stretch of coast has a wild feel to its entire 60-mile length, in spite of being so low-lying. This book captures the essence of it, reminding me of where I spent my early childhood before the War, and where I have been back to on holidays. In spite of the ease of access, there are places that few people ever get to see, several of which are among those photographed.
on 31 July 2012
Having been on holiday in this part of Britain this year, I can,t think of anything I,d rather have as a reminder of it,s beauty.The pictures capture all of my holiday memories. I love Joe Cornish,s photography and this book is a pleasure to wander through it,s pages.