on 5 March 2008
I bought this book a year ago with a number of other related books, when
my son was two and a half. I am one of a group of mothers who meet weekly
with our children in local woodlands and we've used it every season since and we're looking foreward to the coming year to try activities my son and his friends were too young for before. The ideas are simple and easy to follow or re-invent according to different enviornments and the photographs are inspirational on cold winter days when the warmth of the indoors is difficult to leave.
on 12 June 2010
I have 3 boys, am a teacher and brownie leader. I have lots of experience in entertaining children outdoors but found this invaluable. It has lots of great ideas for either filling five minutes or a whole day. The book consists of mainly activities and pictures to inspire you. There are seasonal sections and an all year section, as well as night time and party ideas. i thought this book was brilliant, well laid out, informative and easy to use.
on 16 May 2006
Lots of fun ideas and inspiration for enjoying and learning from the countryside whatever the weather, whatever time of year. I can particularly see my children enjoying night walks and games to play in the dark and they have already borrowed my mortar and pestle to create perfumed potions. Lovely photos and illustrations too.
on 3 February 2010
A lovely book full of ideas to get everbody outdoors. Most of the ideas can be done with either an idividual child or a group of 20. Great if your wanting to plan a birthday party with a difference or a teacher looking for inspired activities related to geography, science, d&t etc. A wonderful book you can dip in and out of all year round.
on 19 November 2009
I have a few books of this type and many of them are more talk than activity and often aimed at much older children. this book is brilliantly practical and the activities are suitable for children of any age, my son is just 20 months and we are already doing various activities suggested. many of the activities don't need any extra apparatus and so can be done spontaniously on a walk and other activities are perfect for bringing inside on rainy days.

probably the most valuable activity book in my collection now, if I'd bought it first I wouldn't have needed the rest!
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2009
This book was spot on for my requirements - it has great readability and the photographs are very clear. Some super ideas that took me back to being a child again!
on 15 May 2006
This is a really well thought out book, laid out with sections on different activities, designed to not just inspire parents, but really get the kids fired up.

It's beautifully presented - great photography and easy to follow ideas.

We only bought this recently, but have already got far more than our money's worth.

Some ideas will definitely be worth re-visiting as the children get older.

The whole family heartily recommend this book, we really haven't come across anything else that provides this sort of help, encouragement & inspiration, for families looking for ideas 'In the Great Outdoors'.
0Comment21 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2009
we found this book to be a real treasure. i borrowed it from the library first and then had to get a copy to keep as it has great ideas in it for any season and we seem to go back to the book time and time again. well worth the buy!
on 17 May 2006
Ideas from this inspiring book saved the day at my daughter's recent birthday party when we unexpectedly found ourselves outside in the rain with time to spare. The girls had huge fun collecting a variety of objects from "Nature's Playground" and it was a delight to see their inventive creations when asked to find "a bed for an elf"!

I will certainly be dipping into this book on a regular basis, not least of all for imaginative games for my son's birthday party next month!
0Comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2011
Book came quickly. Has lots of great ideas and practical support to get you started on the Forest schools idea.
Love the colourful pictures with real children getting messy whatever the weather